IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

55 minutes ago, WTF said:

most people here are pensioners on their last set of falsies , why would they need a dentist ?

Actually surprising few people need a full set of dentures at any age:

image.png.ee43084f39c6dd6c947e6c159ae33b49.png

The figures are from 2018 for England (though I can't see the Isle of Man being different) and may be slightly biased by being derived from dental practices, though even people with dentures need to go to the dentist sometimes.  But it's amazing how low the percentages are, even for the most elderly group.  50 or 60 years ago it would have been very different.

SKY News, report By Rachael Venables, news correspondent, and Rebecca Spencer, producer

Wednesday 7 February 2024 07:53, UK

Locked in the back of an ambulance and sexually assaulted: Female paramedics reveal 'toxic culture' of harassment

Tracy Nicholls, chief executive of the professional body, said: "We have found that our student or female student council members are experiencing misogyny and sexual harassment - if not on a daily basis then on a weekly basis, by a minority of people who just feel that that behaviour is acceptable."

"Every ambulance trust in England has committed to a single action plan - co-produced by those who have faced misogyny or sexual harassment in the workplace - which commits to improving sexual safety in the ambulance service."

Contact Sky to tell you story.

• 4 weeks later...

Hooper wants the Auditor General “to review Manx Care’s finances as part of efforts to find ‘efficiencies’.” Doing an efficiency audit of Manx Care would be an important undertaking. It is a right thing to do, but unless the Auditor General has a large team of experts to call upon, it is unlikely that they will come up with very much, IMHO.

Anyway, I hope the Auditor General understands what they are getting themselves into, because if they find something that Hooper does not agree with, they might draw his ‘wrath and ire’. Whatever happened to the outcome of the internal investigation into Hooper and August-Hanson allegedly shouting at members of the Health Services Consultative Committee?   

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/dhsc-asks-auditor-general-to-be-another-pair-of-eyes/

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, code99 said:

Hooper wants the Auditor General “to review Manx Care’s finances as part of efforts to find ‘efficiencies’.” Doing an efficiency audit of Manx Care would be an important undertaking. It is a right thing to do, but unless the Auditor General has a large team of experts to call upon, it is unlikely that they will come up with very much, IMHO.

Anyway, I hope the Auditor General understands what they are getting themselves into, because if they find something that Hooper does not agree with, they might draw his ‘wrath and ire’. Whatever happened to the outcome of the internal investigation into Hooper and August-Hanson allegedly shouting at members of the Health Services Consultative Committee?   

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/dhsc-asks-auditor-general-to-be-another-pair-of-eyes/

Which, not for the first time, raises the question of what exactly the DHSC is for.  If it's not already reviewing what Manx Care is getting up to and suggesting ways it could improve, financially and otherwise, it's difficult to see what purpose it has other than bullying people and running up enormous legal expenses.  Admittedly it's very good at both those.

As far as I can see the Tynwald Auditor General is some semi-retired bloke who lives in suburban London and appears to have done nothing since he was appointed about a year ago (he was asked to look at sewage, but there seems no outcome).  Which may be why he was appointed.  I don't think he has any staff.

• Thanks 9

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Which, not for the first time, raises the question of what exactly the DHSC is for.  If it's not already reviewing what Manx Care is getting up to and suggesting ways it could improve, financially and otherwise, it's difficult to see what purpose it has other than bullying people and running up enormous legal expenses.  Admittedly it's very good at both those.

As far as I can see the Tynwald Auditor General is some semi-retired bloke who lives in suburban London and appears to have done nothing since he was appointed about a year ago (he was asked to look at sewage, but there seems no outcome).  Which may be why he was appointed.  I don't think he has any staff.

It's a safe bet to say that the audtor general's report will be bland and may suggest some minor savings without rocking the boat

Edited by Babydoc
Said too much

The Auditor General, Stephen Warren, is an accountant. His LinkedIn c.v is lengthy (although spending 8 years [part time] at a university "Developing, delivering and assessing a final year undergraduate course on audit and assurance. " caused my eyebrows to imperceptibly twitch).

He is not an engineer nor a medical person.

Malcolm Couch was a finance person. It would seem that he was not too successful while working for the health service.

[His LinkedIn cv is written in the third-person - but most of them are, I suppose,]

26 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

The Auditor General, Stephen Warren, is an accountant. His LinkedIn c.v is lengthy (although spending 8 years [part time] at a university "Developing, delivering and assessing a final year undergraduate course on audit and assurance. " caused my eyebrows to imperceptibly twitch).

Malcolm Couch was a finance person. It would seem that he was not too successful while working for the health service.

[His LinkedIn cv is written in the third-person - but most of them are, I suppose,]

It's actually quite an impressive CV (though he clearly failed the how to type in your surname test) with a lot of relevant experience, especially at the now-defunct Audit Commission[1].  But it's not the CV of someone who you would expect to be particularly hands-on, especially given he doesn't seem to live here or have anyone to do the investigative work for him.

[1]  In all the rows about local councils in England going bankrupt and/or getting up to various financial shenanigans, there's little been said about how the abolition of the Audit Commission to 'save money' allowed this to happen.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, code99 said:

I suggest that Manx Care has more control over its budget and spending than IOM Government has.

Many of their problems are caused by under-funding and things like 'shared services' in Human Resources and DOI.

Their finance director will be reporting to the board on March 5th.

https://www.gov.im/media/1382494/2524-finance-deep-dive_compressed.pdf

The financial director of DHSC should have to account for their spending on a monthly basis too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

Malcolm couch also had a degree in medicine although he wasn’t a success as man management skills were very lacking 

1 hour ago, Moghrey Mie said:

I suggest that Manx Care has more control over its budget and spending than IOM Government has.

Many of their problems are caused by under-funding and things like 'shared services' in Human Resources and DOI.

Their finance director will be reporting to the board on March 5th.

https://www.gov.im/media/1382494/2524-finance-deep-dive_compressed.pdf

The financial director of DHSC should have to account for their spending on a monthly basis too.

Manx Care is a fairly recent augmentation to the IOMG services.  Some residents, me included, think that Manx Care bureaucracy/ duplication is a deliberate abrogation of our Government’s duty of care to the public, and a waste of taxpayers’ money to boot. There had never been any meaningful consultation with the public about whether we wanted Manx Care, or would rather the IOMG improved the DHSC.    

Conducting an audit of any Government Department and/ or function is a necessary part of ‘good governance’, but the Auditor General without a meaningful budget to employ relevant expertise is almost certainly a toothless tiger. I would be very happy to be proven wrong.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Banker said:

Malcolm couch also had a degree in medicine although he wasn’t a success as man management skills were very lacking 

No He wasn't working as a medical doctor over here. He was Tax assessor of the Isle of Man and then put in charge of DHSC.

Edited by Moghrey Mie

Hooper will probably get KPMG at great cost to tell him what he want's to hear.  Best auditor general would be some one unemployed, Put her/him on percentage of money saved at let him/her go with unlimited power of employment/unemployment. Use the money saved to pay off the dead wood thus saving pension liability's, And not the multi thousands  that they usually favour. One can dream.

• Like 2