IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Someone messaged me about their orthopaedic issues. Twice. Addressing me as “wrighty”. I’ve assumed it wasn’t instructions to sue. I don’t  fix joints. I’ve deleted both.

Feel free to point them in my direction (equally, those members asking me about their being charged for drug dealing or bestiality or whatever I’ll send your way)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

50 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Feel free to point them in my direction (equally, those members asking me about their being charged for drug dealing or bestiality or whatever I’ll send your way)

Typical stitch up by professionals. :D

• Haha 5

17 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

Bollocks.

Right , I forgot just how wonderful the NHS is. Sadly it is not wonderful. It’s badly run, their IT systems are woeful and access to any kind of treatment is a nightmare. Phones not answered , if they are you’re not sufficiently ill to see a GP ( triaged by someone who knows how to pick up a telephone - if they can be bothered that is ). I assume you must work in the NHS. Trust me most of us think it’s hopeless. I would not trust NHS managers to run a bath let alone what must be one of the largest organisations in Britain. And one of the most useless at what it purports to do. National Useless Service would be a better name. I’m not ill thankfully , I don’t have private health insurance ( which is a huge rip off anyway ) but if I do get ill well I’ll probably have to pay some private lot. Can’t see the NHS being that bothered. 

A new week and the NPM lead story is good old Manx Care out with its begging bowl. They don’t know whether the money they have been allocated is enough. 

This is getting rather tedious and pathetic. Harsh decisions need to be made, the taxpayers have been hit. Perhaps a layer of bureaucracy at Nobles can be dealt with, and frontline services attention given. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 3/9/2024 at 7:39 AM, Banker said:

Patients are completely unaware with lots very demanding for immediate treatment which is totally unrealistic without massive increases in taxes similar to Scandinavian countries. GP appointment is charged for in Channel Islands and Ireland with the latter country charging for many things which are free here.

All that's happening is that patients who can't see get an appointment with their GP within say 48 hours have no choice but to visit A&E. So A&E is defacto a massive all-Island GP surgery.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Anyone said:

Right , I forgot just how wonderful the NHS is. (etc)

Yes, you did.

And, no: I don’t work in the NHS - although I am currently a patient.

I’m not blind to its faults - indeed, if you look at my past posts, you’ll see criticism of DHSC, excessive management layers, bullying, etc - but I speak as I find: and my treatment has been excellent and free at point of care, unlike healthcare many other countries.

However, each to their own - clearly you believe that they can do nothing right and fundamentally don’t care.   You’re wrong, of course, but that’s your opinion.   I wonder if you’ll change your view, if they save your life one day?

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Yes, you did.

I’m not blind to its faults - indeed, if you look at my past posts, you’ll see criticism of DHSC, excessive management layers, bullying, etc - but I speak as I find: and my treatment has been excellent and free at point of care, unlike healthcare many other countries.

However, each to their own - clearly you believe that they can do nothing right and fundamentally don’t care.   You’re wrong, of course, but that’s your opinion.   I wonder if you’ll change your view, if they save your life one day?

+1

yes, my treatment experience was a bit ragged. Liverpool often didn’t communicate effectively with Nobles & my GP. The old Liverpool Royal was awful to stay in as an inpatient. Occasionally clinicians got things wrong.

But the treatment was world class, and life saving. The nurses were excellent. And I even managed to persuade management to train up the chemotherapy team to administer the final month of chemo here, rather than going to Liverpool 12 times.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, 2112 said:

A new week and the NPM lead story is good old Manx Care out with its begging bowl. They don’t know whether the money they have been allocated is enough. 

This is getting rather tedious and pathetic. Harsh decisions need to be made, the taxpayers have been hit. Perhaps a layer of bureaucracy at Nobles can be dealt with, and frontline services attention given. 

I agree.

My interpretation of Manx Care Finance Director’s sound clip (on Manx Radio) is that the circa £350m budget allocated to Manx Care for next year, and passed by MHKs, will not be sufficient to provide adequate health services to the IOM public, i.e., £350m is short of what Manx Care asked Treasury for and well short of what Sir Johnathan Michaels recommended.

Consequently, if more funding is not forthcoming, the Island’s healthcare could potentially be ‘rationalised’ or even rationed. It seems that Manx Care Board want the medical staff to be cognisant of the overall finances and start making decisions about medical treatment on the basis of the costs of that treatment. Is this expectation desirable or even feasible (surely, putting additional pressures like this on clinicians can’t be a good thing)? When did the IOM public ever vote for that?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, code99 said:

I agree.

My interpretation of Manx Care Finance Director’s sound clip (on Manx Radio) is that the circa £350m budget allocated to Manx Care for next year, and passed by MHKs, will not be sufficient to provide adequate health services to the IOM public, i.e., £350m is short of what Manx Care asked Treasury for and well short of what Sir Johnathan Michaels recommended.

Consequently, if more funding is not forthcoming, the Island’s healthcare could potentially be ‘rationalised’ or even rationed. It seems that Manx Care Board want the medical staff to be cognisant of the overall finances and start making decisions about medical treatment on the basis of the costs of that treatment. Is this expectation desirable or even feasible (surely, putting additional pressures like this on clinicians can’t be a good thing)? When did the IOM public ever vote for that?

I get the feeling that next year income tax will rise ………… with the same excuse, the funds raised will be ring fenced. Never ending spiral, and permanent begging bowl.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, code99 said:

I agree.

there is probably enough for 'adequate health care services'  just not enough to carry the excessive amount of waste of skin managers as well.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I get the feeling that next year income tax will rise ………… with the same excuse, the funds raised will be ring fenced. Never ending spiral, and permanent begging bowl.

None of the 2% will be ring-fenced. Allinson surely knows that and consequently misled Tynwald. He's promising stuff that Treasury won't be able to deliver. 

1 hour ago, code99 said:

Indeed.   Why did Tynwald accept the Michaels Report if they had no intention of funding it?   They funded the separation of DHSC and Manx Care - I guess all the money was used up in duplicating the management functions.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Moghrey Mie said:

It seems to me that Manx Care has more control over its budget than IOM government does.

https://www.gov.im/media/1382494/2524-finance-deep-dive_compressed.pdf

Control in one direction maybe. All I see is 10-15% year on year increases, with a 'we need more funding for transformations' (i.e. attempt at cutting/efficiency savings)

Screenshot_20240311-182608~2.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

Yes, you did.

Well if I get hit by a bus they probably would ( I believe you get priority for that ). Otherwise it’s a lottery. The NHS manage by crisis , so that means they largely wait until it’s too late. Natural wastage I suppose. But if you all want to hip hip hooray for the NHS carry on. I’ll not live long enough to see it have the radical reform it needs. I doubt anyone will because of this perception that it’s wonderful and all who work in it are wonderful. It’s a job in the end - and they don’t do it very well.