IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

22 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

I worked as a manager in the NHS for 25 years.  Secondments at senior management level are commonplace.  What  invariably happens is that the employing trust simply bills the trust where the employee is seconded to on a monthly or quarterly basis.  Full costs.

The only reason not to do so - or only do a partial recharge - would be if the employing trust was receiving some benefit from the secondment.

If Manx Care aren't gaining any benefit from this arrangement and aren't billing the trust in Liverpool they are missing a trick.

(Wasn't Magson employed on a similar basis?  I understood she wasn't employed by DHSC or Manx Care but continued to be employed by her PCT or clinical commissioning group in the UK, and that they recharged DHSC/Manx Care)

Why not give exactly that reply rather than dismiss it because he wasn't going to get into individual employment terms?  Quite right, but just say either there is one post of MD, but the holder of that post is on secondment elsewhere and the post is currently filled by an interim MD.   The cost of the secondee is recovered from the NHS Trust (fully or partly, because we get X,Y, Z from that Trust through the patient transfer arrangement,  or whatever). 

What concerns me about the reply is that the MD may be paid from one budget, but the interim from another, so the straight answer is there is only 1 MD being paid, but ignores that the interim is being paid from another budget head. 

PS nobody knew the basis on which Magson held her post.

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

Julie Edge is clearly on a mission to be as disruptive and uncooperative because she got the boot which was long overdue this attitude is doing her no favours and is petulant and pathetic.   She needs to grow up.

She asked what many people thought was a relevant question 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Lawrie Hooper stated that the manxcare mandate will be presented to Tynwald but not debated, as debate would add no value. The sheer arrogance aside, who doesn't create the mandate? And why can't tynwald have any input?

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/health/ps438-million-added-to-manx-cares-budget-671755?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1710422003

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cissoltt said:

Lawrie Hooper stated that the manxcare mandate will be presented to Tynwald but not debated, as debate would add no value. The sheer arrogance aside, who doesn't create the mandate? And why can't tynwald have any input?

Hooper: his arrogance is matched only by his ignorance.   Quayle, Ashford, Hooper - anyone see a pattern developing?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, mad_manx said:

I still cannot understand why Manxcare needs two people for the same job.

Can't the person who is in post here cover what Dr Andhol is doing  for manxcare  at the moment ? 

Only one is doing the job. And she isn't in Liverpool.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

The residents and staff were promised they were going to the new home they were shown plans it really is the bees knees absolutely great.   

I know, saw some initial plans when my mum was in Reayrt ny Baaie, must be about 9/10 years ago. 

2 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

Julie Edge is clearly on a mission to be as disruptive and uncooperative because she got the boot which was long overdue this attitude is doing her no favours and is petulant and pathetic.   She needs to grow up.

We need a few more to be as disruptive and uncooperative, rather than the excess of complacent toadies that we have.

Many of them were voted in on those manifestos and grounds.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

Why not give exactly that reply rather than dismiss it because he wasn't going to get into individual employment terms?  Quite right, but just say either there is one post of MD, but the holder of that post is on secondment elsewhere and the post is currently filled by an interim MD.   The cost of the secondee is recovered from the NHS Trust (fully or partly, because we get X,Y, Z from that Trust through the patient transfer arrangement,  or whatever). 

What concerns me about the reply is that the MD may be paid from one budget, but the interim from another, so the straight answer is there is only 1 MD being paid, but ignores that the interim is being paid from another budget head...

Oh I agree with you 100% - there's really no reason why the funding arrangement shouldn't be made known.  How the Dr's secondment to Liverpool is funded is nothing to do with his emplyment terms.  And it's a legitimate question for the Manx tax payer to ask.

I suspect it's just another example of the mentaility in Manx govt that "We won't tell people stuff that there's no reason for them not to know - except that we (or the CS) want to keep it secret 'cos it makes us feel more important and powerful."

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

PS nobody knew the basis on which Magson held her post.

I thought it was known?  I think if you read again the Ranson tribunal decision dated 9th May 2022, you will find several direct or indirect references to Magson's secondment from the NHS in the UK.  I think in particular she wanted to ensure continuity of her NHS pension so she wanted to remain employed by the NHS in the UK, and not by the "tyn pot" IoM NHS.

See for example paras 33, 34, 37, 42, 64 and 107.

My understanding was that any confusion about how she was in post was because Will Greenhow had wrongly(?) stated that she was an "employee" of the Public Service Commission - whatever that is.  See para 33.

Perhaps more confusion has arisen since then, but as I'm off-island (and had a lengthy stay in hospital myself after a RTC) I'm not aware of it.

Edited by Ghost Ship
italics
  • Thanks 2