IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

Use of the C word would put that in abuse as would unsubstantiated claims of being useless. 

Also interesting that despite TC offering to meet and discuss no one took the offer up.   Cowardly bullies, perhaps? 

abuse just isn't what it used to be ,  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Also interesting that despite TC offering to meet and discuss no one took the offer up.   Cowardly bullies, perhaps?

Definitely.   Happy to heap on the abuse via social media - but refusing a face-to-face meeting.   If they had anything worth saying, they’d accept the offer of a meeting - if only to express their unhappiness in person.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Maybe she's taken lessons off Hooper where merely questioning his omnipotent judgement counts as vile abuse !

She should publish some of the comments ( Anon), to illustrate the depth of the problem, or if she thinks they are very serious report to the Police .

It is difficult to opine on levels of abuse or indeed criticism until they are made public. These days you can get in bother for saying what your eyes see !

• Like 1

Interesting that Manx Radio chose to headline personal abuse rather than Teresa Cope's explanation of what she is trying to do at Manx Care to turn a round a failing health service with very little data etc etc.

Edited by Moghrey Mie
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Not perhaps anything as definite as that, just the usual sort of angry ranting from the sort of people who want to have an angry rant about everything and anything, but can't really follow it up because it's not really based on anything except long-standing prejudice, emotions and whatever nonsense stories the London press are putting out that week.  All social media is clogged up with this stuff (including Manx Forums) and most of us ignore them most of the time.  There's nothing there to engage with except general dissatisfaction and a desire to say "Look at me!".  

But you can see why some people might want to remain anonymous, especially if their complains are more specific and grounded.  The Isle of Man is a small place and you only have to look at recent history to see how vindictive and petty government can be to individuals who call them out.  Admittedly Manx Care doesn't seem to be as bad yet as DHSC was and is, but then what could be?  And because any part of the bureaucracy may take against those seen as troublesome, 

Cope's complaints don't really make a lot of sense.  For example she claims that staff are unable to respond to such complaints.  But they can and often do (including on Manx Forums), either under their own names or pseudonymously.  Of course individual cases can't be discussed, but those are the very ones where people should be contacted and by definition are anonymous.  As with so much of the communications from Manx Care, this just seems to be trying to find ways of blaming the public whenever things aren't as hoped and doing so by copying tactics used in England - whether they are relevant or not.

And without being given details we don't really know how serious this abuse is.  Far too many people in authority nowadays equate abuse with hearing something they don't want to hear.  Of course those working in the frontline of health, especially the emergency side, have always had some levels of such problems and those continue to be treated seriously and prosecutions happen.  If those have significantly increased it would be useful to see the evidence and consider what can be done.  It may be the way in which Manx Radio have treated the story, but we do need more information.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WTF said:

these days raising your voice counts as GBH to the don't want to hear any criticism brigade .  in this case what constitutes  'abuse' ought to be clarified.  telling a useless cunt they are useless cunt isn't abuse, it's educating them.

One of my colleagues was called exactly that by a patient in clinic on Friday because he didn’t order a repeat XR (one had already been done and another wasn’t required)

Teresa is right - it’s unacceptable. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, wrighty said:

One of my colleagues was called exactly that by a patient in clinic on Friday because he didn’t order a repeat XR (one had already been done and another wasn’t required)

Teresa is right - it’s unacceptable. 

so why did mr/mrs/'what ever the fuck these days'  disgruntled person think there was supposed to be a second xray in the first place ?

5 minutes ago, WTF said:

so why did mr/mrs/'what ever the fuck these days'  disgruntled person think there was supposed to be a second xray in the first place ?

Because he was unhappy about something and like many people seem to assume that it’s because we’ve done something wrong, or have missed something vital. People tend to expect perfection these days, and if they don’t get it look for someone to blame - nothing to do with the fact that they got completely drunk, fell over and smashed their knee that it’s now a bit stiff and hurty - must be our fault for nor fixing it properly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Meanwhile if we want to see how Manx Care management's engagement with their own workforce (about whom it is so concerned) is going, we could consider their People, Culture and Engagement Strategy, which was launched last October with great fanfare.  This aims "to build a fully engaged, inclusive and high-performing workforce" and "improve the culture of the organisation", and:

The People, Culture and Engagement Strategy has been developed over the last five months with input from a wide range of internal stakeholders including staff-side partnership groups, members of Manx Care’s Executive Management Committee, People and Culture Operational Group, People Committee, Clinical Directors Group and Executive Leadership Team. The Strategy also went out to consultation across the whole organisation for a three-week period in August.

The People, Culture and Engagement strategy aims for a workforce that aligns with our CARE Values (Committed & Passionate, Accountable & Reflective, Respectful & Inclusive, Excellent & Innovative) and has five Strategic Workforce and Culture Ambitions.

(There's more of this in the link if you really want.  I particularly liked the announcement that they had been: Recruiting and embedding a network of Change Coaches across the organisation to support change at all levels.  Which doesn't sound at all like the STASI).

Now this Strategy was developed after it went out to consultation across the whole organisation for a three-week period in August.  So it would be interesting to see just how much input from the 3,000 or so people Manx Care claims to employ that this was based on and how seriously their suggestions were taken.  Luckily someone put in an FoI on the subject (ref 3470597) though it took nine weeks to get it out of them, just before Christmas.  It's a whole two pages:

PCE results overview.pdf

And it got just 41 responses out of a workforce of 3,000 plus, not all of whom answered every question.  Given that those running the survey and putting together the Strategy would have had their say, it doesn't really suggest that there's much engagement going on, even with their own staff.

Those who did reply were keen to have their say (there was a high proportion of additional comments) but even from them the response wasn't madly enthusiastic.  Only half (21/41) said that they felt "The language/tone of the document resonate[d] with [their] service delivery area" for example.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Frankly, @Roger Mexico, having seen how some anonymous posters on here rip into public, identifiable figures, and even equally anonymous fellow members,   in the court of public opinion, I am prepared to believe that TC did receive what most reasonable people would consider abusive comments online.

• Like 4

There are plenty of obnoxious people in the world - a small percentage, but nevertheless a sizeable number. These days I only encounter them on holiday flights. The last flight, a few weeks ago, was met on the tarmac by the police on arrival. One of the group involved, who were the aggrieved party !, were sitting behind me for a while. Two adults and 3 children between 3 and 12. They were all continually, unbelievably loud. The father littered pretty much every sentence with a few obscenities. Most of the rest of the passengers were not that much better. It was normal behaviour for them

That is life. The cabin crew handled the situation, in the way I assume they have been trained. (After landing the captain made a small speech in which he said that the police had been called "and usually they turn up very quickly" i.e. happens all the time)

That medical people are trying to help the sick, does not make them off-limits to this behaviour

Cope should know that there is no point in trying to communicate with some types of people. Saying that she has tried to talk to these people is in the same category as Allinson, when questioned about free parking, saying "I've written a letter".

The implication of Cope's statement is that there is nothing wrong with Manx Care's operation. That is unlikely.

Occasionally over many decades I have got strident with some staff somewhere - one time at an airport with British Airways staff. I was absolutely, completely, right to do that. It is frustrating when company managers make decisions, lock themselves away in their office, and put low level staff in front of the customer who just say "No". So you want to speak to a manager? - "No". You want to complain? "We will ban you".

I take heart from Cope's comment about trying to communicate. If a problem arises, I will not shout down the phone. I will go to her office, walk in without knocking, and give her a piece of my mind. I suppose I will have to get past the security gates first.

[And as for perfection in the health service, my father, mother and wife have died - my parents in England and my wife here. After each death there were questions about the medical care or advice that had been given. ]

Of course, trolling and abusing people on social media are craven behaviours which are unfortunately so very zeitgeist, and not unique to Manx Care.

That being said, Manx Care are behaving like the IOMG – their primary goal is to perpetuate themselves as a ‘Kafkaesque bureaucracy’. It is all very well to instigate highfaluting management strategy “The People, Culture and Engagement strategy with five Culture Strategic Workforce and Ambitions and a network of Change Coaches across the organisation…” , but how do any of these turn into practical improvements for patients?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Frankly, @Roger Mexico, having seen how some anonymous posters on here rip into public, identifiable figures, and even equally anonymous fellow members,   in the court of public opinion, I am prepared to believe that TC did receive what most reasonable people would consider abusive comments online.

You only have to look at the facebook comments from both real names and fake ones to see some of the  abuse, similar but not as bad for steam packet and airport staff. Lots of anti government brigade on here are not much better.

• Like 2

Comments made on Facebook, Twitter and, most definitely, ManxForums are irrelevant.

Who on earth takes any notice of this junk? It is all as relevant as Lyle Wraxall's LinkedIn list of "specialities".

Someone here wants to "diss" me for saying that? Well, go ahead punk, make my day.

• Like 2

On 4/15/2024 at 5:23 PM, Roger Mexico said:

Recruiting and embedding a network of Change Coaches across the organisation to support change at all levels.

You might get the impression that "change" is the new snazzy word in business. However, you may recall that Dan Davies was Director of Change and Reform for 13 years - and presumably was still changing when he got promoted.

How does one become a Change Coach? What expertise does one need to have to become a Change Coach? Does a Change Coach require continual re-education on the changes in Change Coaching techniques? Will there ever be a point in which no more changes are required? How did any organisation get by without the benefit of Change Coaches? Can someone give me an example the work a Change Coach does?

I am inclined to point out that Cope has been employed by Manx Care for 3.5 years. If change was necessary, I think it should have been implemented before now.

• Like 3