IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

there is a document in place between the isle of man health services and the UK health service 

its called the reciprocal  health agreement  basically it means there is no charge for emergency or health treatment in either jurisdiction    some years ago  a short sighted health minister  tried to get rid of it , but thanks to Andy Burnham  UK health minister  and  great friend to the Isle of Man and a few rebellious MHK's and MLC's   the decision  was never made 

what a mess we would be in now if that were  allowed to happen ,  costs for repatriation  are  different and some patients  not being UK nationals  can be asked to meet the cost  of getting back home 

foreign nationals  falling outside the scheme are expected to meet their full  accident and health costs while visiting the isle of Man ,

there should be a credit / Debit card reader in A and E in Nobles  and non UK or isle of Man should have to swipe their card  when they arrive  and if you have to pay for treatment its easily deducted ,  thats what happens  when I travel in Europe and beyond , and then you can claim the charge back on your medical or accident insurance 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

https://www.gov.im/healthinsuranceforvisitors

"medical treatment which is needed by a resident of England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Island whilst visiting the Island is provided by the IOM NHS on the same basis as services provided to local residents"

Foreigners visiting will no doubt have health insurance.  UK visitors do not need it. The only thing that is missing is repatriation.

Repatriation from Tierra del Fuego would cost a bit, but getting back to England just means staggering down to Douglas and getting on the boat. Can't walk? Get a mate with a van and stick you in the back.

You missed this bit out:

image.png.03cd00eee6aee597c3e74144d0a4259c.png

42 minutes ago, Omobono said:

there is a document in place between the isle of man health services and the UK health service 

its called the reciprocal  health agreement  basically it means there is no charge for emergency or health treatment in either jurisdiction    some years ago  a short sighted health minister  tried to get rid of it , but thanks to Andy Burnham  UK health minister  and  great friend to the Isle of Man and a few rebellious MHK's and MLC's   the decision  was never made 

what a mess we would be in now if that were  allowed to happen ,  costs for repatriation  are  different and some patients  not being UK nationals  can be asked to meet the cost  of getting back home 

foreign nationals  falling outside the scheme are expected to meet their full  accident and health costs while visiting the isle of Man ,

there should be a credit / Debit card reader in A and E in Nobles  and non UK or isle of Man should have to swipe their card  when they arrive  and if you have to pay for treatment its easily deducted ,  thats what happens  when I travel in Europe and beyond , and then you can claim the charge back on your medical or accident insurance 

"Isle of Man woman hit with £24,000 bill for UK NHS care"

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-58462421

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

...  costs for repatriation  are  different and some patients  not being UK nationals  can be asked to meet the cost  of getting back home...

Are you sure of that?  I thought UK residents were subject to paying repatriation costs from the IoM too?

I thought the whole point was that many UK residents visiting the island may not be aware that only emergency NHS treatment is covered, and that any ongoing care and/or repatriation costs that they might incur they will be liable to pay

• Like 2

7 hours ago, WTF said:

if i was living in the british isles and travelled to another part of the british isles for a holiday  i wouldn't think i needed to take out travel insurance to cover medical bills.

You should.. Not everything is covered even if you are an IOM resident visiting  the UK..

And even if you have some form of insurance from a bank account etc it's worth checking  the fine print.. Many don't cover day trips  and some only cover you if you have pre booked accommodation ..So you are not covered if you are staying  with family in the UK .

13 hours ago, WTF said:

if she had been discharged and readmitted why didn't the 3 months clock start again ?

3 ( it’s changed to 6 now ) months is based on presence, with day of arrival counting as day 1, it’s not based on length of treatment/hospitalisation.

PS it doesn’t apply to day trippers. You’ve got to be here ( or there ) 24 hours before it kicks in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a good news story to be told about the Health Service today, in terms of a reduction in waiting times for operations. 

Amazingly, Lawrie Hooper has decided that the Health Minister has something to do with it. When things go wrong or questions are asked, it always seems to be outside of his remit 🤷🏼

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, joebean said:

Amazingly, Lawrie Hooper has decided that the Health Minister has something to do with it.

That’s odd - I thought that Manx Care were entirely responsible for operational matters and the Minister was at “arms length”…🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, joebean said:

There is a good news story to be told about the Health Service today, in terms of a reduction in waiting times for operations. 

Amazingly, Lawrie Hooper has decided that the Health Minister has something to do with it. When things go wrong or questions are asked, it always seems to be outside of his remit 🤷🏼

Absolute bollocks, I'll tell you how they reduce waiting lists, I was referred to the Hospital by a medical professional with the remit to so do. I waited five months for the appointment and then received a letter saying I didn't need to be seen and to go back to the person who referred me if I had any problems ! Hooper is a twat !

Edited by asitis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jarndyce said:

- I thought that Manx Care were entirely responsible for operational matters and the Minister was at “arms length

But DHSC sets the targets and provides the funds  it costs to meet the budgeted cost of the targets.

So DHSC set waiting list reduction targets, provided the additional funding, and Manx Care, operationally, achieved the reductions within budget. That’s a win for both.

Only if Manx Care don’t meet the targets, or go over budget, is MC to blame, but, DHSC, because it’s not operationally responsible, isn’t.

Win Win for Hooperman.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2