IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

On 7/8/2024 at 8:03 AM, cissolt said:

Will we ever know the true story of what happened here?  How many weeks did he actually spend on the island?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/medical-director-and-nursing-director-depart-manx-care/

Reading between the lines certainly sounds like a settlement, which would be a concern (with the number of employment disputes Manx Care seems to be racking up) - and would certainly be six figures.

Is there anywhere these 'one-off costs' are reported in their board figures?

12 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/hooper-we-check-our-data-against-perceived-issues/

"He told the Public Accounts Committee that the average waiting time for an appointment was six days"

I have just been given an appointment at Ramsey GP. Four weeks (minus 1 day).

As we all know he lies. Recently my appointments have crept to last one being 5 weeks. Usually it’s within 2 weeks which I’m fine with. Never in recent years had anything around 6 days 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Thanks 1

Projected 18.5 million over budget for the year. 5.7 million risk for something and 4.8 million pay awards.

So projected to be nearly 30 million over budget this year and that's after an increase of £44 million!

Will any politician be brave enough to step up and say Manx care has failed and perhaps Jonathan Michael was talking out of his arse?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/lack-of-control-over-psc-pay-offer-having-significant-impact-on-manx-care/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cissolt said:

Projected 18.5 million over budget for the year. 5.7 million risk for something and 4.8 million pay awards.

So projected to be nearly 30 million over budget this year and that's after an increase of £44 million!

Will any politician be brave enough to step up and say Manx care has failed and perhaps Jonathan Michael was talking out of his arse?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/lack-of-control-over-psc-pay-offer-having-significant-impact-on-manx-care/

Well Manx care are not getting the funding under the formula set out by Michael and approved by Tynwald, they are receiving substantially less which is causing shortfall, I suppose they could close A&E are start charging like the Channel Islands!

When PSC is awarding large pay rises to the many administration staff which Manx care are expected to fund then its obviously going to cause problems 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

No.

big problem here is like several other things  sadly   heading our way ,the idiots in Tynwald , many asleep , or playing on the ipad   voted to accept  the Michael    report without any idea of the cost , or staffing implications 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Banker said:

Well Manx care are not getting the funding under the formula set out by Michael and approved by Tynwald, they are receiving substantially less which is causing shortfall, I suppose they could close A&E are start charging like the Channel Islands!

When PSC is awarding large pay rises to the many administration staff which Manx care are expected to fund then its obviously going to cause problems 

It's also a problem that Manx Care don't own or maintain the buildings that they have to work in.

11 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

It's also a problem that Manx Care don't own or maintain the buildings that they have to work in.

even if they did own them they wouldn't put money into maintaining them , everything government funded is put a plaster on it when it breaks , maintenance is usually cheaper in the long run but they don't factor that in when building things.

Edited by WTF

2.2% increase in demand for surgery 'must be analysed'

Between June 2023 and May this year there were more than 22,000 referrals for surgical specialties.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/2-2-increase-in-demand-for-surgery-must-be-analysed/

I'd say it should be analysed. That's a tremendous amount - a huge proportion of the population. But just how many of them are truly really resident here I wonder - how many are expats using the NHS here, maybe using the system in their old age when they have been based god knows where for the last 20 years? Are they truly analysing who they are treating here?

"...  on its waiting lists to meet its 52-week target for treatment".

Is this correct? A simple web search gives me "Reducing elective waiting times from ‘18 months to 18 weeks’ was one of the English NHS' major achievements in the 2000s"

2.2% increase in demand is not that surprising really, given the ageing demographic, the pressure on GPs, and general health-needs inflation which ensures demand grows year on year because the profession keeps inventing new stuff to do.