IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

14 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

I take your point: but I’m not sure what you’re suggesting as a solution - bloody insurrection?   The “folk on this island” should rise up and burn Tynwald to the ground?

Sadly, electing a new group in doesn’t seem to change anything - they’ll say what you want to hear on the doorstep (eg, Hooper) then do the exact opposite when in power (eg Hooper).

The solution is proper funding, the same as any service here, the uk and anywhere. That costs more money which means more taxes, then the same people are whining about taxes!

Theres a reason healthcare is a lot better in Scandinavia, the taxes are substantially higher than here and UK.

• Like 3

Just now, Banker said:

The solution is proper funding, the same as any service here, the uk and anywhere. That costs more money which means more taxes, then the same people are whining about taxes!

Theres a reason healthcare is a lot better in Scandinavia, the taxes are substantially higher than here and UK.

We are paying more taxes, but it’s likely that Manx Care will need more money. What do you do - increase the higher tax rate to 25% plus? 

13 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

I take your point: but I’m not sure what you’re suggesting as a solution - bloody insurrection?   The “folk on this island” should rise up and burn Tynwald to the ground?

No. We need to improve things, not have a revolution.

Kevin’s main points are that Manx Care is continuously asking for more money and also they are headed down the path of increasing privatisation. His view is that Manx Care Management need to be doing a better job that there needs to be less highly-paid Administrators and more support for front-line medical staff, in particular GPs. Because they are not delivering at the level that they promised they would then the Manx Care ‘agreement’ needs to be reviewed, etc.

When candidates start campaigning for the next GE, people should be demanding from the candidates clear paths as to how they would make the health service better. Moreover, the candidates must have clear ideas as to how they plan to hold the Government to account.

• Like 1

Just now, 2112 said:

We are paying more taxes, but it’s likely that Manx Care will need more money. What do you do - increase the higher tax rate to 25% plus? 

Well that’s one solution or higher NI, capital gains taxes, death duties, wealth tax etc

13 minutes ago, code99 said:

When candidates start campaigning for the next GE, people should be demanding from the candidates clear paths as to how they would make the health service better. Moreover, the candidates must have clear ideas as to how they plan to hold the Government to account.

You appear to have ignored the second paragraph of my comment.  Any thoughts on that?

16 minutes ago, Banker said:

Sadly, electing a new group in doesn’t seem to change anything - they’ll say what you want to hear on the doorstep (eg, Hooper) then do the exact opposite when in power (eg Hooper).

(eta - looks like Banker’s comment - my fault - I copied his quote, I should have gone back to my original comment!)

Edited by Jarndyce
ETA

5 hours ago, 2112 said:

This petition has been doing the rounds on Facebook for the last couple of weeks, and so far ………. nearly 100 signatures ……….. it’s hardly inspiring people. 

I've been aware of this for about this time. I particularly liked the comment from one of the signatories blaming Manx Care and Teresa Cope for the exorbitant bills at the vets. Typical of how ill-informed many of the people who sign these things actually are. 

I'm surprised and disappointed that Manx Radio gave this the oxygen of publicity. 

(as ever on here, speaking as an individual, not a spokesman for Manx Care, the government or the medical profession as a whole)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

I've been aware of this for about this time. I particularly liked the comment from one of the signatories blaming Manx Care and Teresa Cope for the exorbitant bills at the vets. Typical of how ill-informed many of the people who sign these things actually are. 

I'm surprised and disappointed that Manx Radio gave this the oxygen of publicity. 

(as ever on here, speaking as an individual, not a spokesman for Manx Care, the government or the medical profession as a whole)

Well, Manx Care won't send an ambulance for your dog which is a disgrace.  

ETA Not a disgrace, just appaulling. 

Edited by Gladys
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, code99 said:

He made some valid points (e.g. too many ‘executive teams’ and not enough front-line medical staff, etc). What he is saying is not an academic whinge, it’s the expressions of someone who has deep concerns about how the health service is being run.

One aspect that should not be overlooked is that he openly acknowledges that by speaking out he is putting himself at considerable personal risk. Manx Care seem to have closed ranks against him, which means his future employment opportunities (in any government department) will be very limited…somewhat akin to the Dr Ranson case in that she also got ‘punished’ for questioning Management and trying to make the situation better. This should be an intolerable state of affairs in a democratic country, but unfortunately, intolerance of whistleblowers is a part of IOM’s flawed political regime.

The Westminster model of Democracy is based on adversary Parliamentary political system where the official Opposition is tasked with holding the Government to account. Here, MHKs and MLCs are expected to agree with everything that the CM and CoMin say/ want/ decide, etc. Whenever ‘awkward’ questions are being raised in Tynwald, some Ministers tend to react with indignation along the lines of ‘how dare you are asking me that…?’. Unsurprising, a dearth of meaningful scrutiny in Tynwald leads to daft decision-making including the creation of unnecessary costly bureaucracy called Manx Care that does not add much to the wellbeing of IOM residents.

It is beyond comprehension as to why the folk on this Island keep putting up with this, when the copious evidence proves that the system is not working for ordinary residents, IMHO.

He's already been in 4 different government departments. If it's so awful under Manx Care maybe he would prefer to work and moan in the private sector.

6 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

He's already been in 4 different government departments. If it's so awful under Manx Care maybe he would prefer to work and moan in the private sector.

He also stood as candidate for Patrick commissioner last year , not sure what happened but he’s not a current commissioner as far as I know.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, code99 said:

there needs to be less highly-paid Administrators and more support for front-line medical staff, in particular GPs

Wouldn't that need more managers to admin the extra support?