IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

13 minutes ago, Banker said:

He also stood as candidate for Patrick commissioner last year , not sure what happened but he’s not a current commissioner as far as I know.

He didn't win:

A former local authority member has been re-elected after a five-year break.

Richard Jones, a chartered accountant, came out top in Thursday's by-election for Patrick Commissioners with 235 votes.

The other candidate in the running, Kevin Oliphant-Smith, received 19 votes.

Mr Jones said he hoped to give a voice to the residents of the rural area.

A total of 254 votes were cast out of a potential 1,183, including two postal votes, which meant voter turn out was 21.5%.

Admittedly Patrick has had so many Commissioners over the last few years, anyone could be confused.  Oliphant-Smith also stood for Malew Commissioners when they had problems a few years back (and didn't get elected).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

You appear to have ignored the second paragraph of my comment.  Any thoughts on that?

If democratically elected politicians don’t deliver on their promises, then their voters can mete out their displeasure by voting them out. Being able to electorally sack politicians (who fail) is a beauty of the liberal democracy that we should treasure. However, following your logic that politicians say one thing and do opposite when in power, then the only sensible conclusion is that:

•  the Island’s democracy has become bankrupt,
  • there is no point in voting at all,
  • the whole GE thing is a charade and a waste of time

and therefore, we would be better off letting CS technocrats run the show…But this is no way for a democracy to function. Hopefully, next time there will be MHKs who will have the mettle to push for the commitments they make whilst doorstepping (FWIW, I believe Peter Karran was one of the better ones, albeit not perfect - if only Hooper was more like the founder of his Party).  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Wouldn't that need more managers to admin the extra support?

I presume that what he meant in his Manx Radio interview was that rather than paying exorbitant salaries to Administrators, the taxpayers' money should be spent employing more nurses and doctors.... 

34 minutes ago, code99 said:

If democratically elected politicians don’t deliver on their promises, then their voters can mete out their displeasure by voting them out. Being able to electorally sack politicians (who fail) is a beauty of the liberal democracy that we should treasure. However, following your logic that politicians say one thing and do opposite when in power, then the only sensible conclusion is that:

and therefore, we would be better off letting CS technocrats run the show…But this is no way for a democracy to function. Hopefully, next time there will be MHKs who will have the mettle to push for the commitments they make whilst doorstepping (FWIW, I believe Peter Karran was one of the better ones, albeit not perfect - if only Hooper was more like the founder of his Party).  

CS already run the show. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

He didn't win:

A former local authority member has been re-elected after a five-year break.

Richard Jones, a chartered accountant, came out top in Thursday's by-election for Patrick Commissioners with 235 votes.

The other candidate in the running, Kevin Oliphant-Smith, received 19 votes.

Mr Jones said he hoped to give a voice to the residents of the rural area.

A total of 254 votes were cast out of a potential 1,183, including two postal votes, which meant voter turn out was 21.5%.

Admittedly Patrick has had so many Commissioners over the last few years, anyone could be confused.  Oliphant-Smith also stood for Malew Commissioners when they had problems a few years back (and didn't get elected).

I've heard of Whack A Mole. Now we have Whack An Oliphant.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, code99 said:

The CS tie our politicians in knots from the word go. The majority are hamstrung by being a minister or department member, subservient to the chief executive of their department, the rest are kept out of everything important. They are all fed whatever information the CS deems they are worthy of, woe betide anyone who steps out of line, they get ridiculed, accused of bullying and generally ostracised. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Kopek said:

First we complain that MHKs are not expert in anything, then we complain that the CS, who are 'supposed' to be the experts are directing our MHKs!!!

Instead of finding practical ways to make the wishes of the elected representatives happen you mean? 

• Like 1

On 9/4/2024 at 2:40 PM, Gladys said:

Well, Manx Care won't send an ambulance for your dog which is a disgrace.  

ETA Not a disgrace, just appaulling. 

Recently (outside of the usual motorsport festivals mayhem) I had a misfortune of accompanying someone to A&E. At that time the A&E waiting room was packed to the rafters (some able-body patients were sitting on the floor; others were either in wheelchairs or on crutches). Waiting times for some patients were as much as six hours. The receptionists / admin staff did their best to cheerfully assure the patients that unfortunately ‘there was nothing they could do to speed up the process’, as things were exceptionally busy through the ‘other side’. Obviously, A&E is at full stretch, or are they picking up patients who can’t get appointments at their GP surgeries within a reasonable period of time?

As we were leaving, two elderly gentlemen turned up, apparently one of whom had taken a nasty tumble, but the ambulance couldn’t/ didn’t come. These frail vulnerable people were advised to make their own way to A&E… it appears that, on occasions, ambulances are not always sent to human patients (forget about canine ones)!

Will Dr Allinson's ‘NHS Levy’ / tax hikes remedy this kind of issue? I hope so, unless of course the additional funding is gobbled up by Manx Care Management on things like ‘culture-change management programmes and coaches’ i.e. will these administrative programmes ever produce positive outcomes for patients, or are they just box-ticking exercises to keep the Manx Care’s administrators busy. I wonder if the guy with two Porsches still working for Manx Care?

I am in the second week of covid. I am nearly 80 and have COPD, asthma and a heart condition but am normally fairly fit and active.

I have pulled a muscle at the base of my ribs with coughing which is pretty painful.

We have tried to get medical advice by phoning the surgery but couldn't get past the reception. We were told, each time, Ibuprofen, Solpadine and liquids. I dont believe receptionists have medical qualifications but I am not getting at them, they are just doing what they are told.

At a time of life when this disease could be fatal some re-assurance, sympathy and real medical advice would be wonderful. Just a phone conversation with a doctor or nurse practitioner would most gratefully received.

I not complaining just using this as an example of the way that our medical services hace degenerated into a system that is totally failing the public grass roots and the coalface workers too. 😒😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4