IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

8 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

I am in the second week of covid. I am nearly 80 and have COPD, asthma and a heart condition but am normally fairly fit and active.

I have pulled a muscle at the base of my ribs with coughing which is pretty painful.

We have tried to get medical advice by phoning the surgery but couldn't get past the reception. We were told, each time, Ibuprofen, Solpadine and liquids. I dont believe receptionists have medical qualifications but I am not getting at them, they are just doing what they are told.

At a time of life when this disease could be fatal some re-assurance, sympathy and real medical advice would be wonderful. Just a phone conversation with a doctor or nurse practitioner would most gratefully received.

I not complaining just using this as an example of the way that our medical services hace degenerated into a system that is totally failing the public grass roots and the coalface workers too. 😒😎

Sorry to hear that doc. Get well soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/4/2024 at 10:02 AM, 2112 said:

The question I posed anyone can answer? An individual having so many roles within the civil service and various departments. If an individual had worked in either the DHSC/Manx Care/Nobles over 25+ years and was a well respected member of society, perhaps their opinions would lend a greater weight and influence thinking? 

I was joking that code99 was likely to be Mr Elephant., in view of the way that he (?) presents his posts.

People with experience and knowledge usually do have greater impact when they express an opinion, so long as they are not talking for vested interests.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Sorry to hear that doc. Get well soon.

Still wooly headed (no pun intended) and sleeping a lot but hope to see that second red line fading soon. Thanks to all except the medical organisers and officials and money men.( Can't spell beureaucrats.)

• Like 1

I am fortunate to be still staggering along with no serious medical problems.

A while ago I called Ramsey GP and was allocated an appointment with a non-doctor ( I have no idea what his qualifications were). I described my symptoms to him, and he used a computer to type them into a Google search box (whilst telling me he was a University graduate).

I experienced a severe eyeball-rolling moment.

To use people like that simply to hand out an authorisation for a blood test or X-ray is OK by me. Anything more than that is not OK.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

I am in the second week of covid. I am nearly 80 and have COPD, asthma and a heart condition but am normally fairly fit and active.

I have pulled a muscle at the base of my ribs with coughing which is pretty painful.

We have tried to get medical advice by phoning the surgery but couldn't get past the reception. We were told, each time, Ibuprofen, Solpadine and liquids. I dont believe receptionists have medical qualifications but I am not getting at them, they are just doing what they are told.

At a time of life when this disease could be fatal some re-assurance, sympathy and real medical advice would be wonderful. Just a phone conversation with a doctor or nurse practitioner would most gratefully received.

I not complaining just using this as an example of the way that our medical services hace degenerated into a system that is totally failing the public grass roots and the coalface workers too. 😒😎

OMG! Best wishes, hope you get well soon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

My sympathy, I had covid for the first time recently, that cough made my ribs agony. Get well soon !

• Like 2

I hope you get better soon doc, got a dose of the lurgy myself although I have not checked for covid as there is only wife and I at home and no intentions of going anywhere soon. I have felt awful this last few days but luckily we have plenty of supplies medicines and food etc. so we can weather the storm as it were!

6 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Best of luck. My ribs are the worst problem, I can cope with the rest.

I did a couple of intercostal muscles (between ribs)...trampolining with the grandkids early this year. Feckin sore for nearly 3 months.

They can take anything over 6 weeks to heal, then pain goes off fairly quickly.

Nowt much they can do, but there are exercises you can do with a bit of advice from a physio.

• Like 1

Meanwhile in the real world ……………….

Twelve people missed appointments at orthopaedic clinic 

Manx Care has apologised to orthopaedic patients after they missed appointments due to their letters not being delivered.

Twelve people didn’t attend their consultations with a surgeon at Noble’s Hospital yesterday (10 September).

The health body has told Manx Radio the clinic letters were printed on 28 August, and left the hospital that day, however for an ‘unknown reason’ they were not received.

Four patients were able to attend the clinic for their appointments at short notice after being telephoned. 

Another four will be seen tomorrow (12 September) instead and the remainder of those due to meet with the surgeon will now do so on 24 September.

Manx Care has confirmed there were no additional staff costs, or travel costs, associated with this disrupted clinic as staff were ‘working as part of a standard working week’.

Sounds like letters sat undelivered at the sorting office. 

10 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Meanwhile in the real world ……………….

Twelve people missed appointments at orthopaedic clinic 

Manx Care has apologised to orthopaedic patients after they missed appointments due to their letters not being delivered.

Twelve people didn’t attend their consultations with a surgeon at Noble’s Hospital yesterday (10 September).

The health body has told Manx Radio the clinic letters were printed on 28 August, and left the hospital that day, however for an ‘unknown reason’ they were not received.

Four patients were able to attend the clinic for their appointments at short notice after being telephoned. 

Another four will be seen tomorrow (12 September) instead and the remainder of those due to meet with the surgeon will now do so on 24 September.

Manx Care has confirmed there were no additional staff costs, or travel costs, associated with this disrupted clinic as staff were ‘working as part of a standard working week’.

Sounds like letters sat undelivered at the sorting office. 

Not sure I believe that story.  I have had letters for a clinic then subsequent change of dates and then a did not attend letter for the original date. 

The appointment system is a mess and has been for years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Someone I know well has been suffering from chronic ear problems. Multiple trips to the doctors,  including one saying the only problem was a build up of wax. Went, on their recommendation, to the privatised ear wax removal service, who said they couldn't do it as the ear was clearly infected. Doctors have now decided there is a problem, go to ent. 3 year waiting list. They've recommended the person goes private. Fuck increasing our tax, I don't believe the management have the capacity to improve this.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

And emails have not been invented?

I have one of the regular 6-monthly visits to a dentist tomorrow. One month ago I got an email reminder. One week ago  I got an email reminder. Yesterday I got an email reminder.

My appointment is with a private dentist, who almost certainly uses off-the-shelf-for-dentists software.

There will be no human intervention required - all done by this computer stuff.

It's just standard 20th Century systems design - although maybe they used text messages then

But, it seems, not for Manx Care.

What effect have the Change Consultants had? Who is resisting change?