IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

9 minutes ago, hoopsaa said:

Someone I know well has been suffering from chronic ear problems. Multiple trips to the doctors,  including one saying the only problem was a build up of wax. Went, on their recommendation, to the privatised ear wax removal service, who said they couldn't do it as the ear was clearly infected. Doctors have now decided there is a problem, go to ent. 3 year waiting list. They've recommended the person goes private. Fuck increasing our tax, I don't believe the management have the capacity to improve this.

Last year I was sent for an urgent MRI SCAN.

The results  revealed an anomaly somewhere behind my nasal cavity (I think) that from the scan they couldn't identify.

The GP asked for an 'URGENT' appointment, two or three weeks later after hearing nothing I phoned and got through to the ENT's secretary to try and discover what to expect and without any sense of drama she quite nonchalantly told me that 'urgent' cases were a 13 month wait and those deemed non-urgent were, as you said were 3 YEARS!!

Hopeless. Hope I'm still around for this 'urgent' appointment.

Have heard nothing for the last 8 months.

Mind you, 14 years ago I applied, through the suggested IOMG number to have an NHS dentist. 5  years later when I phoned the same number and explained I'd heard nothing the female voice on the end of the phone said, and I quote, "we hadn't heard from you and assumed you no longer needed one"!?!?

She then said "would you like me to put you back on the list"

Unfrigginbelievable!!

• Sad 3

54 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I have one of the regular 6-monthly visits to a dentist tomorrow. One month ago I got an email reminder. One week ago  I got an email reminder. Yesterday I got an email reminder.

My appointment is with a private dentist, who almost certainly uses off-the-shelf-for-dentists software.

There will be no human intervention required - all done by this computer stuff.

It's just standard 20th Century systems design - although maybe they used text messages then

But, it seems, not for Manx Care.

What effect have the Change Consultants had? Who is resisting change?

My NHS dentist sends reminders a week before and a day before.

The Isle of Man is supposed to be at the forefront of technology and yet they can't send out automated reminders for clinic appointments.

(I've just had a duplicate letter by post from the DEFA Energy Doctor. Handwritten name and address and 85 pence stamp each time.)

1 hour ago, Moghrey Mie said:

And emails have not been invented?

Surely if they alerted people a couple of days prior to their appointment the patient would realise and contact the clinic.

The text reminder system is hit and miss. 

2 hours ago, Sentience said:

Last year I was sent for an urgent MRI SCAN.

The results  revealed an anomaly somewhere behind my nasal cavity (I think) that from the scan they couldn't identify.

The GP asked for an 'URGENT' appointment, two or three weeks later after hearing nothing I phoned and got through to the ENT's secretary to try and discover what to expect and without any sense of drama she quite nonchalantly told me that 'urgent' cases were a 13 month wait and those deemed non-urgent were, as you said were 3 YEARS!!

Hopeless. Hope I'm still around for this 'urgent' appointment.

Have heard nothing for the last 8 months.

Mind you, 14 years ago I applied, through the suggested IOMG number to have an NHS dentist. 5  years later when I phoned the same number and explained I'd heard nothing the female voice on the end of the phone said, and I quote, "we hadn't heard from you and assumed you no longer needed one"!?!?

She then said "would you like me to put you back on the list"

Unfrigginbelievable!!

Sorry to hear that,  my contact just told me they have today been given an audiology appointment in a couple of months 😏

Edited by hoopsaa

Just now, english zloty said:

Having already put up taxes to drag low and medium income workers into the higher tax bracket of 22%. It’s an absolute disgrace and no doubt makes taxpayers wonder if they are now trying to peg Alex Allinson’s proposed new NHS levy at a really high rate by being publicly over budget by so much so soon? It won’t be long before all our taxes are just going to pay government wages with no services available at all. 

• Like 2

Makes Liverpool Landing Stage look like chump change, and is causing a massive constraint on government spending & investment elsewhere, and will no doubt be pushing taxes up again.

NHS reform needed as it's an out of control beast that will just grow its budget endlessly in its current form.

35 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

Makes Liverpool Landing Stage look like chump change, and is causing a massive constraint on government spending & investment elsewhere, and will no doubt be pushing taxes up again.

NHS reform needed as it's an out of control beast that will just grow its budget endlessly in its current form.

Simply put -

Too many boomers, not enough babies.

Things are only going to get worse, unless you are a pensioner. 

Hopefully most of our young talent will be able to emigrate to places like Australia / NZ to escape the madness of our aging boomer population. 

33 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Manx Care “Changing the Culture”

Obviously I don’t know - and I admit to being somewhat cynical - but I suspect that more money, time and effort was expended in producing that document than was spent actually engaging with the staff.

When the board see this, do they actually believe that change is happening - or is it a kind of Orwellian “doublethink”?

”The staff are disengaged and morale is low…”

”Well let’s produce another staff engagement strategy with a shiny document, that’ll get ‘em on board again!”

Edited by Jarndyce
Typo/addition

45 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But we've had NHS 'reform' constantly for the last 40 years. 

It's almost like the problem is the 'reform' rather than the NHS.

Listening to the UK Health Secretary on R4 this morning it appears that they're finally admitting that the NHS in its current form is unaffordable.  It needs reform, particularly the way it's funded.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But we've had NHS 'reform' constantly for the last 40 years. 

It's almost like the problem is the 'reform' rather than the NHS.

Reform as in scope cut, consideration of charges (only reform of last 40 years is re-orgs, middle management and endless new functions)

Edit: Manx Care currently spending £10k per working person, £13k per private sector employee per year

Edited by Mercenary