IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

14 minutes ago, Auntie Depressant said:

Doctors’ Report

82 responded. Only 15% recommended Manx Care as a good place to work.  81% disagreed with the statement, ‘ Manx Care has a positive culture’.

it’s not good. 

Meanwhile Hooper describes the report as invalid and has the survey team disbanded.

• Haha 7

55 minutes ago, Auntie Depressant said:

For balance, the response rate was only 52%  Perhaps the other 48% are entirely delighted with the current situation, but somehow, I doubt it  

For additional balance here is another picture of Ms Cope and members of her happy team posted on the internet so that everyone can see what a joyful empowering workplace she creates for the 19% of people who don’t seem to totally hate working there.

There really is a big disconnect going on here which seems to be another version of the usual IOM Government alternative reality bubble where those at the top seem to think that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the way they interact with anyone else. 

IMG_5616.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One thing that struck me as rather odd was the 37% of responding doctors who believe that their line manager does not treat them with respect. Would it not be the case that most doctors are line-managed by other, more senior, doctors? If so, some of these disaffected individuals are unhappy at the performance of other medics! Unless of course most/many of the doctors at Nobles are line-managed by ‘civilians’.

43 minutes ago, Vaaish said:

One thing that struck me as rather odd was the 37% of responding doctors who believe that their line manager does not treat them with respect. Would it not be the case that most doctors are line-managed by other, more senior, doctors? If so, some of these disaffected individuals are unhappy at the performance of other medics! Unless of course most/many of the doctors at Nobles are line-managed by ‘civilians’.

I would qualify this point by saying that for some doctors it is unclear who the term 'line manager' refers to.  Some may consider it to be a non-clinical manager, others their clinical director/lead consultant/supervising consultant etc. So it's difficult to interpret exactly what that 37% figure refers to.

• Thanks 1

The press release from the BMA (which Manx Radio copied more or less complete) also linked to more details of the survey report and giving the responses to each of the 30 questions.  From the responses of the 83 doctors who replied I have calculated a score for each of these, giving +2 for Strongly agree, +1 for Agree, -2 for Strongly disagree and -1 for Disagree (0 for agree nor disagree which was also an option).  In ascending order these scores are as follows:

25) I am able to influence how things are done in this organisation -116
26) The organisation has a positive culture -110
13) There is strong leadership at the highest level in this organisation -100
23) The organisation listens to staff views -99
15) Managers know how things really are -98
19) A positive culture is visible where I work -96
6) The organisation values the service we provide -90
7) I would recommend this organisation as a good place to work -87
29) I feel well informed about what is happening in the organisation -83
12) Unacceptable behaviour is consistently tackled -77
30) My concerns are taken seriously by my line manager -71
18) I feel supported to develop my potential -69
4) I am proud to work in this organisation -64
22) Staff successes are celebrated by the organisation -64
1) I have the resources I need to do a good job -62
10) I feel part of a well-managed team -60
3) I have sufficient time to do my job well -55
21) My line manager gives me constructive feedback -55
27) I am kept well informed about what is going on in our team -53
24) I get the training and development I need -49
😎 I feel well supported by my line manager -45
9) I am able to influence the way things are done in my team -42
5) My line manager treats me with respect -32
16) I feel able to ask for help when I need it -31
28) I have positive role models where I work -20
17) I know exactly what is expected of me in my job 3
14) When things get difficult, I can rely on my colleagues 13
2) I feel respected by my co-workers 30
20) The people I work with are friendly 39
11) I know who my line manager is 90

The number at the front of the question is its order in the survey (and this is a standard survey developed for NHS England - it's not a special Manx Care one).

You can see that that the only positive scores are about colleagues, but that it's Manx Care and its unresponsiveness that gets the worse scoring.

Edited to add:  The smiley is to do with how this system treat 8 with ) after, not a comment from me.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:
You can see that that the only positive scores are about colleagues, but that it's Manx Care and its unresponsiveness that gets the worse scoring.  

A scoring pattern well known in HR circles:

1) I'm brilliant; 
2) My team are great; 
3) Everyone else is an arsehole.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

The press release from the BMA (which Manx Radio copied more or less complete) also linked to more details of the survey report and giving the responses to each of the 30 questions.  From the responses of the 83 doctors who replied I have calculated a score for each of these, giving +2 for Strongly agree, +1 for Agree, -2 for Strongly disagree and -1 for Disagree (0 for agree nor disagree which was also an option).  In ascending order these scores are as follows:

The number at the front of the question is its order in the survey (and this is a standard survey developed for NHS England - it's not a special Manx Care one).

Edited to add:  The smiley is to do with how this system treat 8 with ) after, not a comment from me.

Lovely work.

It will be interesting to see if manxcare make their internal survey both anonymous and available to the public.

The manipulation involved in the friends and family survey wasn't even subtle.  Pick a few well performing sections, ask customers to complete a form, publish only favourable results.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/majority-of-manx-care-survey-responses-say-services-good-or-very-good/

If they really really cared, we would see a well formed feedback survey aimed at all users of all services.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Was the earlier 'vote of confidence' of Ms Cope in response to this? Presumably they receive some advance/preliminary results

18 hours ago, Sheldon said:

A scoring pattern well known in HR circles:

1) I'm brilliant; 
2) My team are great; 
3) Everyone else is an arsehole.

I don't think you need to have worked in HR to know that - it's pretty much the history of humanity.  But these things can't be just brushed away with a wave of the hand and saying: "The servants are always complaining".  One thing to be judged is the levels of support and hostility that are shown and the lack of faith in the organisation is quite striking and even the attitudes to immediate management is at best ambiguous.  And these are doctors, who are effectively part of the management structure - at least in theory.

It's notable that the statement that scores the largest number of "Strongly disagree" is The organisation has a positive culture which 54 out of the 78 doctors gave that response to.

It's also worth looking at change in attitudes over the last year (this is the third time this annual survey has been done).  I could only find media reports of last year's, but the iomtoday one gave scores for various statements and I've tried to work out the equivalent for this year

79% of respondents think that the organisation lacks strong leadership.  [78% in 2024]

66% said they either disagreed or strongly disagreed with the statement that they felt well informed about what was happening within the organisation. [71% in 2024]

Just 21% agreed and only 1% strongly agreed with the statement ‘the organisation has a positive culture’. [6% and 4% in 2024]

Last year Seventy-two out of the 160 doctors who were sent the NHS ‘Culture of Care Barometer’ responded, which is 45% whereas this year it was 83 out of 155 (54%) so engagement has increased and is more hostile.  So even if those not responding are happy with their job (rather than despairing) it suggests things ae getting worse.

Since I looked at this last night, half the article has disappeared in another attempt by iomtoday to win at the Most Inept Website Awards.  From notes these showed that there was increase in those who regarded their colleagues as friendly (from 44% to 67%) and that they could be relied on (from 44% to 49%) but those disagreeing with the statement Unacceptable behaviour is consistently tackled rose from 60% to 67%.

It's a picture of an organisation and management that is not only distrusted by some of its most important employees, but that opinion has got worse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1