IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

38 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

And lest I give the impression that everything in the IoM is crap while everything in the UK NHS is perfect, it isn't always the case - even at a prestigeous NHS trust.

Paula Vennells - Wikipedia

Not the only one of course.  Those who read Private Eye will have known of the Post Office scandal for at least a decade and how the Post Office, its supplier Fujistu and many other parts of the establishment, including politics and the courts, have done their best to do anything to avoid admitting they were wrong.  As usual because lots of people were complicit, the cover-up continued.  

• Like 6

Thought this relevant here, I read an article on the Child births scandal in Shropshire this morning and was stuck by this from the investigation ...

I believed that some of the ways they responded to problems were to try to preserve the reputation of the organisation rather than to do anything practical

How many problem areas of our island could the above apply to ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, asitis said:

Thought this relevant here, I read an article on the Child births scandal in Shropshire this morning and was stuck by this from the investigation ...

I believed that some of the ways they responded to problems were to try to preserve the reputation of the organisation rather than to do anything practical

Many, 'tis the way of the world,  I'm afraid.  Not many organisations, public or private, own up to inherent and systemic problems, but will try to deal with them internally or ignore them.   

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Gladys said:

Many, 'tis the way of the world,  I'm afraid.  Not many organisations, public or private, own up to inherent and systemic problems, but will try to deal with them internally or ignore them.   

Good doc on BBC at the moment covering this very point in connection with the Shropshire maternity failings.  

Edited by Gladys

14 hours ago, asitis said:

But it's even worse here because all the organisations that are supposed to monitor each other and stop abuse happening are all so closely bound together that preserving reputations becomes collective and keeping things quiet the top priority.  A lot of the external inspections that health, social services etc will regularly get and simply not carried out, or when they are it's under restricted terms set by those being examined and usually by individuals who don't want to lose future business.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

It looks like  anew blood post to me - number 2 to the CIO.  The interesting thing would be to know wheter the DHSC also has a senior IT crowd.

I hear over 300 people had pre-op assements for cataract operations this month, and were informed that as Nobles haven't go theatre slots they will have to wait till May/June at the earliest, and some of these people have been waiting over 2/3 years already. I think Manx Care really Don't Care!

7 hours ago, Gladys said:

It has been posted before about how many IT systems they have and how they interface, perhaps it is a good hire?

Surely you'd be better off with two skilled systems people on £50k each than another manager on £100k though?  This looks like one of those classical Manx hierarchy things when the authority chain is longer than in an organisation 100 times the size.  Nothing else will convince those at the top how important they are.

It's also why they end up with so many different incompatible computer systems, because those doing the work end up buying or throwing together something to solve the immediate problem, rather than plugging into existing ones because it will take so long to get anything through the hierarchy.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2022 at 1:36 PM, Gladys said:

I was trying to think of an example, but theonly ones I could think of were "in connection with an incident".  The other examples that sprang to mind were grainy pictures of someone who the police want to speak to about an unspecified incident 6 months ago. 

73F42EDC-8DC6-4CA5-AC90-634ADFC6EDB0.jpeg