IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

3 minutes ago, lfc84 said:

Well it is true

……………… and Rob Callister was the Health Minister ………… at least for a short period of time. 

I don’t know what his public pronouncements are going to achieve, I can’t imagine CM Cannan taking any notice of his opinions, after all, I doubt he takes any notice of other COMIN members. 

The only area I see that is not being stifled by budget constraints seems to be the Civil Service, where money is falling from the cash tree to support many a new job. And we are talking in the £80,000 to £115,000 + price bands. And is there any evidence of these roles producing one advantageous outcome apart for the need of an assistant and Secretary to manage the meetings these people attend and wonder what the fuck is this one about, keep quite and work out how to raise your spine points so as to be intitled to more money. This is the only objective that seems to be on their minds.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, KERED said:

BREAKING NEWS COURTESY OF ROB CALLISTER:

The former health minister believes Manx Care is facing a 'funding crisis'

We don't need more political oversight-also known as meddling by people such as Rob Callister MHK. His comments add nothing to the situation. Manx Care know how they can save money better than he does. They have been given a budget and a mandate.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

The only area I see that is not being stifled by budget constraints seems to be the Civil Service, where money is falling from the cash tree to support many a new job. And we are talking in the £80,000 to £115,000 + price bands. And is there any evidence of these roles producing one advantageous outcome apart for the need of an assistant and Secretary to manage the meetings these people attend and wonder what the fuck is this one about, keep quite and work out how to raise your spine points so as to be intitled to more money. This is the only objective that seems to be on their minds.

To say we have a huge CS, administration of almost everything on the island has never been worse ! Logic should dictate, surely, that if we have sufficient staff things should move along effectively and efficiently !

Then I woke up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

We don't need more political oversight-also known as meddling by people such as Rob Callister MHK. His comments add nothing to the situation. Manx Care know how they can save money better than he does. They have been given a budget and a mandate.

If they know they can save money, they could have saved money years ago, instead of squandering over the years, delivering a service efficiently ………. A mandate to still waste money.

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, lfc84 said:

You can't have first class if you're budgeting for economy 

And economy doesn't have to mean poor. More Premier Inn than Claridges. Does the job, clean and staff are on it. 

You can add cushions and cut flowers for those who want to upgrade

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

If they know they can save money, they could have saved money years ago, instead of squandering over the years, delivering a service efficiently.

Back in 2008, when the first crash hit, we were all tasked with saving cash. My pay slip arrived in the post. 

A quick fag packet estimation came up with a postage cost of £38,000 a year. "That's worth having" I thought. Why not just email it to us?

So I rang someone in Treasury.

"We've not been tasked to look at that."

Well, neither had I but I still managed to think of it. And so it continued for many, many years. My pension slip still gets posted to me.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, NoTailT said:

The entire list of cuts looks like a disaster waiting to happen. I actually don’t see the point in the Ramsey MIU. Have been there three times in last twelve months either for myself or with someone else and each time sent to Noble's because other than checking blood pressure and giving paracetamol, it seems they can’t do much.

I have  used Ramsey MIU a couple of times for actual medical conditions. On each occasion they have been brilliant and sorted me out, applying dressings, taken x-rays and prescribing antibiotics. In and out well within an hour. No mention of going to Nobles.

Compare and contrast that with A & E at Nobles, where you can spend half a day or more waiting to be seen ( that’s not a slight on the staff there who are very good, just a reflection of their resources I guess)

Blood clinic there is also ace. Just turn up between 8-10 am, take a ticket and wait for your turn ( usually no more than 15 mins). Non of this appointment  malarkey.

I shouldn’t really be advertising Ramsey MIU as don’t want Douglas people cottoning on and clogging it up.

But it is one shining light in the dark depths of despair that is Manx Care.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

If they know they can save money, they could have saved money years ago, instead of squandering over the years, delivering a service efficiently ………. A mandate to still waste money.

Manx Care was only set up in April 2021. They have a Cost Improvement Programme which is more than many government departments have got.

Edited by Moghrey Mie

Now we know that there is a cost cutting programme going on, which will affect islanders, and other taxpayers, in some cases, with delaying treatment, could result in patients dying. Are any of the TT/Motorsports medical provisions being scaled back? Maybe an external provider could provide medical services with the costs being funded by competitors and their teams? 

14 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Three and a half years is not an "only".

To be pedantic, Manx Care was in existence and on the payroll from January 2021, and Cope was on the payroll from December 2020 - which is nearly four year ago.

'Manx Care was established in April 2021 by the Government of the Isle of Man as an arm's length organisation, established to focus on delivery of health and social care on the Island.'