IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

9 hours ago, WTF said:

so what are all the staff going to do rather than work treating people? if the current staffing levels can over produce / cost than maybe have less staff so when working as expected they can't produce a throughput faster than the budget can afford

The mandate and, more importantly the Manx Care Operating plan for 2023 / 2026 provides a clue - they could ask those clinical staff not working in the hospital to work alongside General Practitioners in seeing patients and being part of the multi - disciplinary teams in  the community: sharing skills, knowledge and expertise precisely where it may be needed and that may remove some of the need for pre assessment and post operative Out patient appointments. And relieve some of the car parking at Nobles.

Would that make sense ?

Edited by Apple
typo
  • Like 1

https://www.gov.im/media/1379905/2023-2026-manx-care-operating-plan_compressed.pdf

Of course, the recent announcements have blown this away and will lead to some gaps in the planned changes and deliverables which may take a very long time to actually re-engage with and achieve. 

Heard recently the new island wide Manx Care Record may cost anything up to £70 million. Business case with treasury at the moment.

More froth, statements and handwringing coming from our elected politicos. Clare Christian MHK is commenting that ‘Manx Care is holding a gun to the head of government’ 

Yes she is correct but the damage has been done, what else can be done? Throw more and more money and resources at Manx Care? It may have been underfunded to some extent but like many government, it has wasted money, and is spending beyond its means. 

Also with our politicos, have any of them got the gumption to really hold Manx Care to account, both in the HoK and Tynwald? I feel that some politicos are making noises but aren’t consistent. The direction Manx Care is going certainly won’t improve before it gets better. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

More froth, statements and handwringing coming from our elected politicos. Clare Christian MHK is commenting that ‘Manx Care is holding a gun to the head of government’ 

Yes she is correct but the damage has been done, what else can be done? Throw more and more money and resources at Manx Care? It may have been underfunded to some extent but like many government, it has wasted money, and is spending beyond its means. 

Also with our politicos, have any of them got the gumption to really hold Manx Care to account, both in the HoK and Tynwald? I feel that some politicos are making noises but aren’t consistent. The direction Manx Care is going certainly won’t improve before it gets better. 

On the other hand you could say that Manx Care is being responsible with its budget and not proceeding with work that will cost a lot of money.

Manx Care is held to account through various procedures around the Mandate (more so than Government Departments which regularly overspend).

The next Board Meeting of Manx Care is on November 12th and will be open to the public as usual.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Two-lane said:

MHKs should not have put themselves into a position where an outside organisation can put a gun to the head of the gov

They may be “arms length”, in principle at least - but I’m not sure you can describe Manx Care as an “outside organisation”, when their funding is dependent on IOMG.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

On the other hand you could say that Manx Care is being responsible with its budget and not proceeding with work that will cost a lot of money

No: 2112 (and many others on here) couldn’t say that, even if it were demonstrably true - it would remove their raison d’etre.

By the way, are there any other analogous IOMG departments/boards equivalent to Manx Care which holds their board meetings in public?   For my own information - I don’t know the answer…

9 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

They may be “arms length”, in principle at least - but I’m not sure you can describe Manx Care as an “outside organisation”, when their funding is dependent on IOMG.

I was referring to the phrasing. An organisation you are in control of cannot be holding a gun to your head.

• Like 1

If the handwringing politicos had grouped together building alliances, and at the same time suggested alternative ways to reduce the budget of Manx Care, then maybe I and others would have a greater opinion. So far, the usual suspects have remained extremely quiet whilst Manx Care publishes their plans - which will cause alarm, fear and consternation. Individually they can do nothing but collectively they could achieve some positive action. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2024 at 10:49 PM, Vaaish said:

I think it’s time for the government to publish unequivocal evidence illustrating the tangible improvements/enhancements/efficiencies that have resulted from the creation of Manx Care, as compared to the previous arrangement whereby both health and social care policy, together with service delivery, was vested in DHSC. 

23 hours ago, code99 said:

(…) It is patently absurd that a country with a population of only 85,000 needs two separate executive teams (DHSC and Manx Care) to run its health service. As someone said on another thread, we need more NHS dentists, not more Manx Care directors.

Our hapless Tynwald members were taken in by the utopian idea that essential public services (i.e. health) would be run more efficiently if they were run by an arm's length (semi-private) organisation. This was wishful thinking. How could the distancing of politicians from their responsibilities ever lead to a more effective public service? (…)

I remain convinced that Manx Care is a top-heavy, expensive experiment that will never really succeed. (…)

(…) IMHO, we really need DHSC to 'take back control' and stop all the management and administrative duplication. And we need new legislation to reverse the creation of Manx Care. The Attorney General's Office must to be involved in this to make sure that any further blunders are avoided.

All we really needed was the right kind of political leadership!

This: assuming that the funding required to match the full mandate will never - ever - be made available.   Without the funding, The DHSC /MC set-up is an experiment which was doomed to failure from its inception.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Fair play to Clare Christian I am not a fan but at least she has spoken up which is a lot more than some have done.   Those that ideas of being elevated to a ministerial position are keeping their eyes down and their mouths firmly shut and you can count on the fact they have had conversations and messages from their concerned constituents.    Failing to take action in this fiasco is not an option.

• Like 3