IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

5 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Over the weekend I learned that the hospital is paying for a Pharmacist to come over for 2 days a week every week.  Flights and accommodation on top of what will be a very attractive locum fee.

They are rare birds.

i hope we are training some of our own.

https://www.pharmacyregulation.org/students-and-trainees/pharmacist-education-and-training

Edited by Moghrey Mie
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Over the weekend I learned that the hospital is paying for a Pharmacist to come over for 2 days a week every week.  Flights and accommodation on top of what will be a very attractive locum fee.

And?

Whats the alternative?  We live on a small island with a small population.  Moving here full time is pretty much career suicide if a skilled medical professional has aspirations to continue learning and working at the cutting edge.

A bigger population would help, but there’s you catch 22 and so many money locals (and stopovers) are so adamant they don’t want a bigger population that we will always struggle to attract skilled workers who still have career aspirations.

15 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Did you think that it was only doctors and nurses that Nobles was short of?

2 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

They are rare birds.

i hope we are training some of our own.

https://www.pharmacyregulation.org/students-and-trainees/pharmacist-education-and-training

2 hours ago, Tinpot said:

And?

Whats the alternative?  We live on a small island with a small population.  Moving here full time is pretty much career suicide if a skilled medical professional has aspirations to continue learning and working at the cutting edge.

A bigger population would help, but there’s you catch 22 and so many money locals (and stopovers) are so adamant they don’t want a bigger population that we will always struggle to attract skilled workers who still have career aspirations.

2 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

Did you think that it was only doctors and nurses that Nobles was short of?

I can appreciate the lack of Nurses and Doctors, what with working with sick people 25 hrs a day, 8 days a week.   But I was genuinely suprised to discover there was such a shortage of Pharmacists!  To me Pharmacy appears to be one of the more agreeable careers in the Healthcare industry.  I've known or heard of the use of a few locum pharmacists over the years over here and they've all been local. 

Further it was to highlight where much of the Manx Care overspend might be going.  Including all the associated fees, we'll likely be paying well over double what would be budgeted for a hospital Pharmacist. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, code99 said:

Back in 2021, according to an article in the Balliwick Express: “Jersey’s politicians are paid just over £46,000, receive no allowances for staff or indeed constituency work, and are not offered access to a contributory pension scheme. They do have their Social Security contributions covered by the taxpayer…”

Compare these ‘salaries’ with our politicians’ current remuneration packages. 

Edited by Vaaish
Wacky duplication of post!

Back in 2021, according to an article in the Balliwick Express: “Jersey’s politicians are paid just over £46,000, receive no allowances for staff or indeed constituency work, and are not offered access to a contributory pension scheme. They do have their Social Security contributions covered by the taxpayer…”

Edited by Vaaish
Another wacky duplicate!

If you’re suggesting that our politicians are overpaid I wholeheartedly agree. It acts as a stimulus for people who have either (essentially) failed at their first choice job role, or who are in a low paid role, to become a local ‘mouth’, gain public awareness and seek election to substantially increase their earnings - leaving Tynwald populated by many low quality incumbents. Sadly, on far too many occasions the electorate has facilitated this. 

5 minutes ago, Vaaish said:

If you’re suggesting that our politicians are overpaid I wholeheartedly agree. It acts as a stimulus for people who have either (essentially) failed at their first choice job role, or who are in a low paid role, to become a local ‘mouth’, gain public awareness and seek election to substantially increase their earnings - leaving Tynwald populated by many low quality incumbents. Sadly, on far too many occasions the electorate has facilitated this. 

The opposite could also be true though.  If we wanted to attract persons of intelligence, skills and qualifications to the roles, these people would likely be already employed on healthy salaries.  The other alternative is that we wait for them to all retire and then they take on their political aspirations?  I think the salary seems about right to me.  Towards the higher end for a relatively unskilled individual and the lower end for a 'professional'.   The Jersey rate to me seems way too low.  I'm amazed they have any candidates.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

But I was genuinely suprised to discover there was such a shortage of Pharmacists!  To me Pharmacy appears to be one of the more agreeable careers . 

the police thought they'd found a few in port erin a few months ago.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

The opposite could also be true though.  If we wanted to attract persons of intelligence, skills and qualifications to the roles, these people would likely be already employed on healthy salaries.

But let's apply that to the current position, we currently offer salaries of £71k< rather than the lower Jersey figure.

Looking at the present House, have we attracted those persons of intelligence, skills and qualifications?

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

The opposite could also be true though.  If we wanted to attract persons of intelligence, skills and qualifications to the roles, these people would likely be already employed on healthy salaries.  The other alternative is that we wait for them to all retire and then they take on their political aspirations?  I think the salary seems about right to me.  Towards the higher end for a relatively unskilled individual and the lower end for a 'professional'.   The Jersey rate to me seems way too low.  I'm amazed they have any candidates.

I take your point about the opposite argument. If we were, let’s say, to remunerate MHKs at £100k with a view to recruiting skilled business people, organisational leaders/managers with a proven track record, I fear that we’d end up paying those high salaries to the same deadbeats we have now. I’m not confident that the type of person I quote here would ever be bothered with the mess that is politics, not least ministering to the whinging constituency electorate. 

We also pay high salaries to the leadership of the various departments/public sector services. That certainly doesn’t seem to guarantee quality. 

I would not however support paying MHKs nothing, hence making politics a ‘community service’. We’d end up with a collection of well-heeled ‘I know best’ types doing a favour  for the hoi-polloi.

I’m genuinely stumped as to how we improve standards of political representation. But we have to; as the current state of Tynwald illustrates.

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I can appreciate the lack of Nurses and Doctors, what with working with sick people 25 hrs a day, 8 days a week.   But I was genuinely suprised to discover there was such a shortage of Pharmacists!  To me Pharmacy appears to be one of the more agreeable careers in the Healthcare industry

You know nothing, Jon Snow!   Just because they shout less doesn’t mean they do less…

32 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

But let's apply that to the current position, we currently offer salaries of £71k< rather than the lower Jersey figure.

Looking at the present House, have we attracted those persons of intelligence, skills and qualifications?

22 minutes ago, Vaaish said:

I’m genuinely stumped as to how we improve standards of political representation. But we have to; as the current state of Tynwald illustrates.

Quickly looking at them, I'd say there are 6 of 24 MHKs who should or could be expected to be a decent politician based upon their qualifications or work history.  So exactly 25%

17 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

You know nothing, Jon Snow!   Just because they shout less doesn’t mean they do less…

Its not that they do less.  It's more that Pharmacy would be a more accessible healthcare job for the majority of people (I considered it when I was younger).  Doctors, frankly I didn't have the grades nor the inclination to spend 5 years at Uni.  Nursing, is certainly a 'calling' and I'm not caring enough.   Pharmacy however, 3 years at Uni with relatively average science A Levels.

6 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Pharmacy however, 3 years at Uni with relatively average science A Levels.

That's four years, Skippy - with a further professional pre-registration year.   And if you think As and Bs are average, you must be one of the big minds of your generation.

But don't let the facts spoil your thesis...