IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

31 minutes ago, Vaaish said:

I’d say Quayle…a really, REALLY, stupid sod with delusions of adequacy

Quayle was just the puppet. From what I heard, Cannan was the one who ran Comin. Cannan was apparently the reason why the borders re-opened after Covid long before the actual experts agreed that they should. No wonder he was so tetchy when asked about the Covid review and why there were two version of the review paper.

Have I mentioned that I don’t like Cannan?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Quayle left a lot richer.

The voters are the morons... let's hope us voters learn something this time. This shit has gone on since the 2000's...and needs to stop.

I don’t dispute that the voters (or substantial numbers of them) display moronic tendencies. The fruits of that line the benches in Tynwald.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

The voters are the morons... let's hope us voters learn something this time

What would you suggest that the voters learn, given that the next crop of candidates will - in all probability - be as bad (if not worse) than the current batch?   Should we all spoil our papers?  Or rise up and burn the Reichstag?

10 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

Quayle was just the puppet. From what I heard, Cannan was the one who ran Comin. Cannan was apparently the reason why the borders re-opened after Covid long before the actual experts agreed that they should. No wonder he was so tetchy when asked about the Covid review and why there were two version of the review paper.

Have I mentioned that I don’t like Cannan?

So he actually done something positive? credit where it is due 

28 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Learn what though?

Until people are actually voted in you don't see if they are up to it or not

Which is why the system is so dysfunctional, to the detriment of the island.  We do not even know if anything promised in manifestos can ever be achieved even if the candidate is voted in.  

There is only one certainty, and that is the administration. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Until people are actually voted in you don't see if they are up to it or not

Agreed, but their antecedents should give some insight into whether they are able to take a pee unaided !

Actually, having read my post even this may be difficult, I voted a couple of elections ago for a professional person figuring they must at least have half a brain, sadly it has proven true that they do have half a brain !

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

What would you suggest that the voters learn, given that the next crop of candidates will - in all probability - be as bad (if not worse) than the current batch?   Should we all spoil our papers?  Or rise up and burn the Reichstag?

I’ve often pondered this and there’s no easy solution. I don’t advocate burning the Reichstag; it’s been done before and I’m all for originality.

Spoiling papers in vast numbers would certainly send a message, particularly if the media gave it the prominence it deserved. But it wouldn’t overcome the issue at hand, which you correctly identify - poor quality candidates; amplify it yes, resolve it, no. Therefore, the answer must be in creating an environment whereby better quality candidates are motivated to stand. I don’t think that environment is exclusively one of increased salary, though it may be part. So too would be reducing the knee-jerk adverse reaction  of the media, and dare I say on here, to even the simplest set-back (but not, I stress, matters such as the Liverpool landing stage which is a genuine disgrace).

I can see why having to deal with the worst excesses of the electorate would be a turn-off too. That’s probably a factor in why some of the existing Tynwald under-performers are there; they find it worth their while in parliamentary salary to put up with/engage with the (depressingly many) clowns whinging about something, whereas potential candidates earning better salaries think ‘to hell with that’, especially if they reflect on representing the likes of the cretins frequently found polluting the Mannin Line.

So there you go; I seem to have elaborated elements of the problem and precious little in the way of solution. Sorry.

Edited by Vaaish
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Which is why the system is so dysfunctional, to the detriment of the island.  We do not even know if anything promised in manifestos can ever be achieved even if the candidate is voted in.  

There is only one certainty, and that is the administration. 

I fear that the next election will have a surge in reform-lite candidates promising to stop the boats and other such nonsense.   The popularity of Katie hopkins on the island suggests there are quite a few right wing conspiracy lunatics over here. 

42 minutes ago, cissolt said:

I fear that the next election will have a surge in reform-lite candidates promising to stop the boats and other such nonsense.   The popularity of Katie hopkins on the island suggests there are quite a few right wing conspiracy lunatics over here. 

To be fair, stopping boats running is one thing the current Manx administration has been quite good at.

Of course you can see what happens when Reform-lite candidates, such as our own Stu Peters do get elected.  They immediately fall into line and do whatever they are told.  That's because they think 'politics' is all about rhetoric.  All you need to do is say the right sort of things and somehow they will happen.  If not it must be because of all those evil Woke Greenies with their magical powers.  There's absolutely no need to take any responsibility for making things happen - which is just as well as most of what they advocate is completely removed from how reality works.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1