IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

13 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Are you actually talking about the people who worked their asses off at the grandstand for two years? 

Bloody hell, no-one has ever accused me of being subtle. No, it was intended as an extremely sarcastic remark - that the bosses can blow £170,000 on advertising but not give a rodent's arse about the workers.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

That’s the reality of the situation. They’re now about to be binned off so they’re angling for a payout. You can’t have not noticed for 2 years that you’ve been standing in a freezing carpark on £10 an hour. 

Frankly, I suspect they accepted the pay rate because they were part of the fight against Covid.  But, now there is uncertainty and they feel like they have been royally stuffed, which they have from that report.

Do you really think they want a pay out?  Or to be treated fairly and with recognition of the shit they have been putting up with? Particularly when they compare themselves with the other 'frontline' 111 call centre staff?

They were paid almost double, sat in a warm office (probably working from a script), and with no personal risk or abuse other than a frustrated caller who could be despatched by simply hanging up the phone. 

I don't know what the testing staff actually want, but I do know they were key to our Covid response, exposed themselves to personal discomfort, abuse and risk and that is probably worth rewarding and not lambasting.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

Did any of them actually think Covid would go on forever when they accepted their temporary jobs?

What has that got to do with it?  They played an important role, willingly and selflessly. I doubt you would stand in a wind blown tent, reassuring people while you put a swab up their noses, put up with abuse, terrible pay and conditions.  It takes humanity to do that.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

They had temporary jobs which now look like they’re coming to the end as they are unlikely to be required anymore with the rule changes. It’s a bit too late to be communicating stories of hardships to me. You knew the terms and conditions, and the hourly rate, and you signed up to a contract for services at a known rate. That contract is now looking like it won’t be continued. All of a sudden you remember how sh*t the whole thing has been. Unlikely. 

We have heard of the hardships for a long time.  

You are a unique individual, and not in a good way. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I’m not unique at all. If you want to stay fooled by this positioning that’s your issue. But at the end of the day they all knew what they signed up to. Covid was never going to last forever. If you have a contract job, you have a timeline you’re employed for. Whether you’re standing in a freezing carpark or not. This is hopefully the last of the dismantling of the pandemic apparatus. All temporary situations come to an end. 

OK, "special" then.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Interesting. I don’t see any other businesses shutting down as they can’t cope due to sickness. 

If other businesses are short of a few staff you might have to wait longer to get served or whatever. If a hospital is short the consequences might be more serious. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, wrighty said:

If other businesses are short of a few staff you might have to wait longer to get served or whatever. If a hospital is short the consequences might be more serious. 

I have no issue at all with the hospital taking the relevant action.  But the wages for some of the board and directors is ludicrous, then they have the gall to offer bank staff a free meal and expect them to come flocking in

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Its a free meal voucher for one and a drink per shift. Presumably in the on-site cafe they share in the profits from. 

The other problem is the cafe is closed at nights and the staff don't even get breaks let alone time to use the toilets at times.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Are there that many self isolating! 

Well there are 1070 active cases according to the latest dashboard - it was only 260 a month ago.  And those working in hospitals will be more exposed - not just because of where they work but because they will come into contact with more people than the average.  So probably quite a few.