IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

On 4/28/2022 at 1:54 PM, Omobono said:

Interesting to see who represented us regarding the new terminal in Liverpool  and wether  the interests of the isle of Man  are protected in some way ? and why someone has chosen a design that uses a Hydraulic  system for the landing stage   in stead of a tidal based floating system which is commonly used in tidal estuaries ,and along the river Mersey  a bit like the  over engineered  electronic points and traffic management system  for a horse tram  ,that is currently unravelling and causing  embarrassment  at the moment ,  and might I add significant cost !!

Er, hello. The front-runner for the AG position seems to be the very person who had her paws all over the Liverpool Landing Stage and is key to having the procurement department embedded in the AG's office where nobody ever suggested it belonged. #empirebuilding

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Augustus said:

Er, hello. The front-runner for the AG position seems to be the very person who had her paws all over the Liverpool Landing Stage and is key to having the procurement department embedded in the AG's office where nobody ever suggested it belonged. #empirebuilding

Who’s that then?

• Like 2

On 4/26/2022 at 1:32 PM, Boo Gay'n said:

It is interesting that Mr Wild has not responded to your questions.

In health and social care circles it is widely considered (if not known) that Richy and Jonny knew each other before the latter’s project in the Isle of Man.  Richy introduced him to Alf Cannan – the review was sponsored by Treasury and not the DHSC – and, lo and behold, the Michael Review is suddenly foisted on us without any questions asked, a competitive exercise to find the best consultant/s or any due diligence about Jonny’s background and achievements.  Richy trotted round at his side whenever Jonny was on the island.  At very great expense, as you say, its is then recommended that we adopt the English Lansley reforms which were already totally discredited across.

Almost three years later (yes, three) nothing has improved and many things are worse, and COVID can’t simply be blamed for that.  Was the review value for money?  No.

Look at the front page of today’s Examiner, which shows that 62% of medics say that the Isle of Man is not a good place to work.  If one of the key professional groups feels that, it is clear that all the money thrown at our healthcare system and all of the expensive new hires have achieved nothing.  This whole saga makes me angry and really sad.

Did Mr Wild ever return to answer these questions? I've been away the last couple of weeks and can't find any posts by him.

In the latest Courier. While the text of the article is largely correct (although we haven’t done foot and shoulder procedures) I feel the headline, which is all some may see, is a little misleading. 

For the avoidance of doubt, knee (and hip) replacement ops have been carried out by the orthopaedic surgeons who have all been working at Noble’s for over a decade, in some cases over two. The first patient to be done that the article mentions was one of mine. Synaptik are the company that provided the nursing staff to look after the ward, theatre staff, a therapist and an anaesthetist. They’ve been great, and our local patients who’ve been waiting far too long have benefited enormously from them being here. But it’s me and my colleagues who have been holding the knife and operating the power tools. And in case there is any further doubt over the headline’s use of the word ‘private’, we haven’t been paid extra to do this, and more importantly patients haven’t been charged - from the surgeons’ and patients’ perspectives this is just normal NHS work. 

5967D8F7-AD1F-44FC-85A7-5F8D7E1F6777.jpeg

Edited by wrighty
Correct MY spelling error
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, wrighty said:

In the latest Courier. While the text of the article is largely correct (although we haven’t done foot and shoulder procedures) I feel the headline, which is all some may see, is a little misleading. 

For the avoidance of doubt, knee (and hip) replacement ops have been carried out by the orthopaedic surgeons who have all been working at Noble’s for over a decade, in some cases over two. The first patient to be done that the article mentions was one of mine. Synaptic (with a ‘c’ not a ‘k’) are the company that provided the nursing staff to look after the ward, theatre staff, a therapist and an anaesthetist. They’ve been great, and our local patients who’ve been waiting far too long have benefited enormously from them being here. But it’s me and my colleagues who have been holding the knife and operating the power tools. And in case there is any further doubt over the headline’s use of the word ‘private’, we haven’t been paid extra to do this, and more importantly patients haven’t been charged - from the surgeons’ and patients’ perspectives this is just normal NHS work. 

Why can't these things be accurately reported?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

For the avoidance of doubt, knee (and hip) replacement ops have been carried out by the orthopaedic surgeons who have all been working at Noble’s for over a decade, in some cases over two. The first patient to be done that the article mentions was one of mine. Synaptic (with a ‘c’ not a ‘k’) are the company that provided the nursing staff to look after the ward, theatre staff, a therapist and an anaesthetist. They’ve been great, and our local patients who’ve been waiting far too long have benefited enormously from them being here. But it’s me and my colleagues who have been holding the knife and operating the power tools. And in case there is any further doubt over the headline’s use of the word ‘private’, we haven’t been paid extra to do this, and more importantly patients haven’t been charged - from the surgeons’ and patients’ perspectives this is just normal NHS work. 

So in layman's terms is this just a sort of  "BLOCK BOOKING" of agency/ off island nursing, anaesthetists and the like medical staff that are assigned to specific operations like your hip replacements?

Edited by Boris Johnson

1 hour ago, Boris Johnson said:

So in layman's terms is this just a sort of  "BLOCK BOOKING" of agency/ off island nursing, anaesthetists and the like medical staff that are assigned to specific operations like your hip replacements?

In a way, yes, but from a contractual/legal/tax perspective it’s more complex than that. Synaptik are not an agency - their nurses can’t be pulled from their area and put on another ward for example. If they were simply agency staff the night manager, say, could move them to wherever they were needed in the hospital. They’re providing a specific service that is well defined and necessarily limited in scope. And it’s working brilliantly well in allowing us to do our joint replacements. Because of their specific role we’ve had no cancellations because outlying medical patients have been put on the ward, no cancellations because the theatre staff have been working on call the previous night, no delayed discharges because the therapist has had to go and help on ITU etc. 

Edited by wrighty
Spelling of Synaptik. Again.
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, wrighty said:

In a way, yes, but from a contractual/legal/tax perspective it’s more complex than that. Synaptic are not an agency - their nurses can’t be pulled from their area and put on another ward for example. If they were simply agency staff the night manager, say, could move them to wherever they were needed in the hospital. They’re providing a specific service that is well defined and necessarily limited in scope. And it’s working brilliantly well in allowing us to do our joint replacements. Because of their specific role we’ve had no cancellations because outlying medical patients have been put on the ward, no cancellations because the theatre staff have been working on call the previous night, no delayed discharges because the therapist has had to go and help on ITU etc. 

It looks like this could be the future. Great investment by Manx Care, they've smashed this one out of the park. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wrighty said:

https://www.gov.im/news/2022/may/04/first-orthopaedic-procedures-delivered-in-conjunction-with-synaptik/

The ‘article’ is cut and paste from that. Including the misspelling of Synaptic. 

I’m going to hold my hands up and admit I’ve got the spelling wrong 🙁

It is Synaptik with a ‘k’, so I apologise for that. In my defence, many of the emails and messages I’ve had over the past few months have had it with a ‘c’, which looks more right to me which is why I used it. I did check before I posted earlier, but unfortunately I checked the equivalent news item reporting their previous assignment on Shetland, where it’s also a ‘c’. Their website is synaptik.co.uk - should have checked that instead.