IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

14 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I would say that’s a good logical observation. I would be very surprised if the other COMIN weren’t there. Mind you if there was a meeting, I doubt that there will be any real outcome. CM Cannan has shown himself unable to adapt to change. Like with ex CM Quayle, he only enacts change when the GMP is thoroughly pissed off and it’s the butt of widespread criticism. 

CanCom is possibly the softest most toothless iteration of Council of Ministers we have yet to see. 

If Cannan's announcement on Tuesday is anything less than the dismissal of Ashford and firing of several senior DHSC and Manx Care members then he has failed as a CM and will be advertising his acceptance of the toxic, bullying atmosphere of the Isle of Man Civil Sevice. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

19 hours ago, rachomics said:

That's a bloody good observation. We all know the civil servants and MHKs read this forum, so I hope this gets some attention. 

Is it a bloody good observation?  Im not so sure. A quick google suggests the area was Tier 1 at the time so up to 6 people meeting indoors was fine. Accusing those involved of wrongdoing where there likely was none just detracts from the many valid criticisms you could lay at their door.

4 hours ago, quilp said:

Gef provides a startling narrative of unmitigated arrogance and deceit...

Blocked!

https://gef.im/2022/05/12/blocked/

Ewart's behaviour at the Tribunal seems to have been even more deranged that at the press briefings. 

It's worth remembering that the two incidents on the weekend of  21-22 March 2020 when she shouted at Ranson for contacting her on her 'day off', she had "only just returned from two weeks’ holiday abroad", so she could hardly claim to be suffering from overwork.  And the first case on the Island had been announced on 19 March, so things were clearly urgent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, StrangeBrew said:

Is it a bloody good observation?  Im not so sure. A quick google suggests the area was Tier 1 at the time so up to 6 people meeting indoors was fine. Accusing those involved of wrongdoing where there likely was none just detracts from the many valid criticisms you could lay at their door.

@drgrumpy made the observation from the judgement document. I tweeted it to use the twitter hive mind to figure out the answer to the question, which seems to be exactly what you're saying. An accusation it definitely was not. If anyone has skin that thin then I'm sure they'll be gathering the evidece and a legal letter will arrive at my door. Which I will duly defend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, StrangeBrew said:

I think it's more about the vagueness about dates which was clearly implausible for such important and complicated to arrange meetings.  The Tribunal eventually decide to go with the information from Foster:

508. Mr Foster said there were two meetings in October 2020 held in Marston, a village close to Grantham, where the attendees met in a private room at a hotel. The dates as confirmed by him were 15th and 29th October 2020. On 7th January 2022, Miss Magson had previously described the meetings as being in Grantham and that tag stuck although Mr Foster’s description of Marston was more precise. He went on to confirm that on 12th November, that meeting was virtual only rather than in person. A fourth meeting had been fixed for December 2020 but did not take place because of renewed Covid-19 restrictions in England.

And if this is true you're right that the current restrictions would have allowed work meetings.  But the whole way these meetings were carried out was so odd that you can see why people were suspicious.

These meeting were very important to the case because they were where Magson apparently convinced Foster and Cope that Ranson was unsuitable to move across to Manx Care as Medical Director as was assumed would be the case automatically.  Given their importance, presumably also to a host of other transition issues, you'd think there would be ample documentation.  And yet all we have is Foster's personal diary (which doesn't seem to have been submitted as documentation).

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, rachomics said:

@drgrumpy made the observation from the judgement document. I tweeted it to use the twitter hive mind to figure out the answer to the question, which seems to be exactly what you're saying. An accusation it definitely was not. If anyone has skin that thin then I'm sure they'll be gathering the evidece and a legal letter will arrive at my door. Which I will duly defend. 

Fair dos - accusation was a bit strong.  

I just think making something out of nothing (given work meetings were also allowed in higher tiers) risks taking the focus way from bigger issues. 

Having said that, is interesting that Magson deemed it necessary to hold  these meetings in person when she didn’t feel it necessary to attend work in the IOM for a whole 15 months though…

11 minutes ago, StrangeBrew said:

Fair dos - accusation was a bit strong.  

I just think making something out of nothing (given work meetings were also allowed in higher tiers) risks taking the focus way from bigger issues. 

Having said that, is interesting that Magson deemed it necessary to hold  these meetings in person when she didn’t feel it necessary to attend work in the IOM for a whole 15 months though…

In person meetings with no minutes are a lot easier to bypass scrutiny than properly recorded ones.  Let's not forget Ashford's corridor chats that came out in the PAC meetings.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

But the strange thing is that if you look at her Linkedin it shows her previous employment ending in Jan 2020 and her starting a new job in Jan 2022:

image.png.be6e414b6174faee861c6da64047b506.png

Which suggests that she wasn't on secondment despite what she claims.  Of course Human Resources seem completely unaware of what the situation is in any case.

You'll note she also doesn't mention her time with the IOM DHSC.  Funny that.

That's interesting if her current employment is correct(?).

The NHS is a small world...

Just as an aside, CM Cannan has made a song and dance of work being done behind the scenes for an IOMG reception at Government House for the FCIOM. Lots of noise on the NPM. Nothing on the DHSC fiasco. It seems that Moorehouse asks a question and the question is a godsend to the CM, to deflect from the embarrassment of embarrassments, and to buy some time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

But the strange thing is that if you look at her Linkedin it shows her previous employment ending in Jan 2020 and her starting a new job in Jan 2022:

image.png.be6e414b6174faee861c6da64047b506.png

Which suggests that she wasn't on secondment despite what she claims.  Of course Human Resources seem completely unaware of what the situation is in any case.

You'll note she also doesn't mention her time with the IOM DHSC.  Funny that.

It does seem bizarre that there appears to be a two year hole in her CV...?

You'd expect it either (a) to show that she was employed by Herts Valleys CCG from Mar 2017 up to Jan 2022 (including the period of her two year secondment to the IoM); or (b) to show separately that she was on secondment to IoM from Herts Valleys CCG from Jan 2020 to Jan 2022. 

One or the other, but not neither...

EDIT:  The gap seems to be "covered" by the 360 NHS leadership role

Edited by Ghost Ship
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

You'd expect it either (a) to show that she was employed by Herts Valleys CCG from Mar 2017 up to Jan 2022 (including the period of her two year secondment to the IoM); or (b) to show separately that she was on secondment to IoM from Herts Valleys CCG from Jan 2020 to Jan 2022. 

One or the other, but not neither...

My thoughts too when I looked earlier. 

11 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

She has simply deleted the reference to the IoM - it is the same c.v. I have a copy of the earlier one, somewhere.

Also note there is a 5 year gap when she went from working in a bank to reappearing as the Managing Director of an NHS.

• Like 1

This case  is the lead story in doctors.net.uk. and will certainly have further wide coverage.

The article isn’t good reading -nor  the readers comments about the Island and it’s health service administration.

They all praise Dr Ranson and the most favourable comments come from someone who points out we  gained   by getting someone who had been an whistle blower in the  troubled Morecambe Bay Health Trust -Mr Peter Duffy. 

We were fortunate there but  we can’t  rely on getting excellent staff because they have been treated badly elsewhere!

If the Island is hoping to restore its reputation and be able to  attract good staff in the future and  then then it will have to be seen to take some drastic steps.

The start must be to fully and abjectly apologise to Dr Ranson for the disgraceful way she has been treated.

This must be a proper apology, not civil service-speak, not some ministerial weasel  words -we have all heard enough of that from Mr Ashford-and please, please no  “ lessons will be learnt” drivel.The apology  must include a candid , thorough condemnation of the actions of the bullies  by name, before ending with announcement of their dismissal.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4