Howard shows Elton John how its done...

Manx Bean

Mr Quayle received a generous (I thought) round of applause when he descended Tynwald Tump, possibly for the last time.

Even though the CM is always the compromise candidate it was obviously a role he had coveted. However I suspect that ending up making decisions that may have fatal outcomes for some really took it out of him. I don't think he signed up for that.

My candidate for worst CM has to be Mr A Brown. When the UK Treasury wised up to the VAT scam the loss of IOMG revenue presented the perfect opportunity to "rightsize" the CS/PS and their pension liability. Mr Brown unashamedly ducked it....

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Even though the CM is always the compromise candidate it was obviously a role he had coveted. However I suspect that ending up making decisions that may have fatal outcomes for some really took it out of him. I don't think he signed up for that.

Anyone who agrees to take on the role of CM should have the intelligence and foresight to realise, in this volatile world, that they could very well be called upon to do just that. 

I think Howard signed up for power, kudos, a gong from the Queen and a chance to rub elbows with bigger fish. In his arrogance he bit off more than he could chew.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

It’s a shame HQ is leaving the scene.

However we can take comfort in the fact that David Ashford is still standing (better than he’s ever been) Yeh Yeh Yeh

Leaving the scene of the crime. 

Hopefully Ashford will be consigned to the back benches. I'd rather he was voted out, but unfortunately that seems unlikely. I don't trust a word he says and haven't since his fictional letter shredding fiasco. 

• Like 8

51 minutes ago, Zarley said:

Leaving the scene of the crime. 

Hopefully Ashford will be consigned to the back benches. I'd rather he was voted out, but unfortunately that seems unlikely. I don't trust a word he says and haven't since his fictional letter shredding fiasco. 

Same here.  I never know if TVOR is deliberately stirring the pot, or if they genuinely believe what they post.  I would hope the former, but suspect the latter. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 2112 said:

Worst CM I’m afraid.

In what period? If it is since the first was appointed, which I think was Miles Walker, then I suggest you have a very short memory. From those that I remember I think the Government of Bell & Teare acting as double act was by far the worst. Apart from their attitude they did nothing but kick difficult decisions down the road and take no action to address. You could argue the current administration has done similar but Bell & Teare did not have to address Brexit and Teare at the same point.

Under Brown we had the VAT loss following his boatsful speech at, I think, the Mansion House.

Corkill got removed.

Walker and Gelling probably did OK but they had full coffers and no real issues or problems to address as far as I can remember. You could argue the rot started with them as they let terms & conditions including pensions run out of control and if they had addressed we would not have the current problems. 

Quite simply I think that each incumbent has probably left the office with the IoM not really in a better place than when they came into office. Some of that may be looking at with hindsight in terms of Walker and Gelling as the chickens only started to come home to roost after they had left office

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gladys said:

Is it normal for a retiring CM to do a valedictory tour? 

Or is he simply doing the job that he is still being paid to do? Presumably the meeting at which he and the CM's from Guernsey and Jersey attended at Westminster was not called by him. Like him or not you would expect whoever is CM to attend and represent the IoM. Similarly whilst down pressing and selling the case for the IoM and building IoM Government relations is part of the CM is required to do. 

I appreciate that on Manx Forums the default position is to be basically anti anything HQ does, and has been from day 1 as they did not want him as CM but it seems petty to simply slag off for doing the job of CM. Yes criticise where he has done things badly and got  wrong, but this simply seems a chance to have a bitch purely because an element dislike HQ.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zarley said:

I think Howard signed up for power, kudos, a gong from the Queen and a chance to rub elbows with bigger fish. In his arrogance he bit off more than he could chew.

That's true, though I'm not sure about the 'power' bit, except in the very limited sense of "doing nice things for me and people like me".   Quayle clearly wanted to be Chief Minister and have all the attention and fawning and flattering that he thinks should come with the post, but he doesn't seemed to have much interest in actually doing the job or making decisions.  Or rather he has such a limited comprehension of what the job entails, that he simply thinks that he is there to do what he is told and receive endless praise for doing so.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

Or is he simply doing the job that he is still being paid to do? Presumably the meeting at which he and the CM's from Guernsey and Jersey attended at Westminster was not called by him. Like him or not you would expect whoever is CM to attend and represent the IoM. Similarly whilst down pressing and selling the case for the IoM and building IoM Government relations is part of the CM is required to do. 

But the Committee meeting (where the Guernsey and Jersey representatives weren't their CMs) was a completely separate thing from this 'farewell tour'.  No other retiring CM ever thought this necessary and there seems no point in it.  How can you be building relationships if you're about to leave your job (and as it turns out, so were some of the people you are meeting)?

It looks very much like a pointless vanity.  The only advantage will be that anyone who succeeds Quayle will be greeted with relief as a less embarrassing improvement.

• Like 3