Howard shows Elton John how its done...

Manx Bean

1 hour ago, Lost Login said:

Or is he simply doing the job that he is still being paid to do? Presumably the meeting at which he and the CM's from Guernsey and Jersey attended at Westminster was not called by him. Like him or not you would expect whoever is CM to attend and represent the IoM. Similarly whilst down pressing and selling the case for the IoM and building IoM Government relations is part of the CM is required to do. 

I appreciate that on Manx Forums the default position is to be basically anti anything HQ does, and has been from day 1 as they did not want him as CM but it seems petty to simply slag off for doing the job of CM. Yes criticise where he has done things badly and got  wrong, but this simply seems a chance to have a bitch purely because an element dislike HQ.

Don't think anyone was slagging the business of government, at the select comitee,  it was the farewell tour. I'd say it is one more reason to have an all island vote for CM at the same time as the General Election, so the candidates make it known which role they are after and everyone is represented as intended.

If they are any good as CM or at least better than the alternatives, they can be re-elected for a 2nd term. Maybe then they'd appoint ministers for perfomance rather than platitudes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

But the Committee meeting (where the Guernsey and Jersey representatives weren't their CMs) was a completely separate thing from this 'farewell tour'.  No other retiring CM ever thought this necessary and there seems no point in it.  How can you be building relationships if you're about to leave your job (and as it turns out, so were some of the people you are meeting)?

It looks very much like a pointless vanity.  The only advantage will be that anyone who succeeds Quayle will be greeted with relief as a less embarrassing improvement.

He's only there for the photos/selfies.... so that he can stick a few photo frames up around Casa Quayle holiday cottages, so all who enter those hallowed portals are in doubt about how important he was. Otherwise.... why do it?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

But the Committee meeting (where the Guernsey and Jersey representatives weren't their CMs) was a completely separate thing from this 'farewell tour'.  No other retiring CM ever thought this necessary and there seems no point in it.  How can you be building relationships if you're about to leave your job (and as it turns out, so were some of the people you are meeting)?

It looks very much like a pointless vanity.  The only advantage will be that anyone who succeeds Quayle will be greeted with relief as a less embarrassing improvement.

I had presumed that the meetings were all pressed into when he was at Westminster for the select committee hearing. If he has gone again for no obvious reason then i would agree with the criticism, if not the vitriol. I have to admit that as some seem on this site appear to have almost a pathological dislike for HQ I do tend to read comments with regard to him with a degree of scepticism.  There are a few people who the forum appear to almost treat as a pariah or a demigod and one nothing positive can be posted about and for the other nothing negative.   

Just to add as an Edit, the alternatives last time to HQ as CM were Alf C and Kate B. The latter was never going to be elected so try and imagine what it would have been like with Alf as CM. I don't really think you are looking at a markedly better option, especially because as Treasury minister Alf will have had a huge amount of influence in respect of the recent government.

Edited by Lost Login

3 hours ago, Lost Login said:

Or is he simply doing the job that he is still being paid to do? Presumably the meeting at which he and the CM's from Guernsey and Jersey attended at Westminster was not called by him. Like him or not you would expect whoever is CM to attend and represent the IoM. Similarly whilst down pressing and selling the case for the IoM and building IoM Government relations is part of the CM is required to do. 

I appreciate that on Manx Forums the default position is to be basically anti anything HQ does, and has been from day 1 as they did not want him as CM but it seems petty to simply slag off for doing the job of CM. Yes criticise where he has done things badly and got  wrong, but this simply seems a chance to have a bitch purely because an element dislike HQ.

But we are not talking about the Crown Dependencies meeting. 

How can he be building relationships when he is at the end of his term? 

What purpose does it actually serve for IOM PLC and who is paying? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

It’s a shame HQ is leaving the scene.

However we can take comfort in the fact that David Ashford is still standing (better than he’s ever been) Yeh Yeh Yeh

I saw David Ashford in his big black trench overcoat and big cloth face mask in tescos,it  really gave me confidence in the covid situation on the island.

25 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Why would he need to visit Mr Speaker, Lyndsay Hoyle? What possible parliamentary reason?

Not a clue but as I expect the Speaker is far busier than the IoM Chief Minister, and I expect that many will view him as more important, I doubt if HQ turned up uninvited. I think over the years LH has been quite supportive of the Crown Dependencies, this year he arranged that the Manx flag be flown at the House of Parliament on Tynwald Day, so it might only have been to say thanks in a two minute meeting. 

Maybe it would be better to actually know the answer before slagging HQ for the matter rather than slagging him off first and then thinking about latter which appears to be the default position of many. Once we actually have a few facts then criticism may be justified.

Similarly Michael Gove in the past had responsibility for the Crown Dependencies when he was at the justice department and he has, in the past, represented the UK Government meetings with the IoM Government. Now I cannot stand the Gove but if a toadying up to him helps in the relationship between the UK Govt and the IoM then I won't criticise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

But we are not talking about the Crown Dependencies meeting. 

How can he be building relationships when he is at the end of his term? 

What purpose does it actually serve for IOM PLC and who is paying? 

lets see if he declares  in the members interests  register  weather Lansons the london PR agency  took him out for a slap up dinner while he was on his farewell tour , he can always be brought back to give evidence to Tynwald  after the new house is formed , if he has been a naughty boy ,and not declared

• Like 1