IOM Festival of Motoring

Boris Johnson

Saw a few cars about this weekend just gone, on the rock for, I assume,  for the "Festival of Motoring"

A few questions spring to mind.

•  As this was a gov organised event  how much money have we sunk into it?
  •  Which genius decided to pick the same dates for it as the massive, and well established, "Goodwood Revival" car event on the mainland?
  •  How much of a return on investment are we supposed to get from this? The types I saw driving around were not your flash, blow a grand on a decent botte of wine and nice meal types, more your Howard and Hilda types who have had the same Jag since they bought it in 1965 second hand and have kept it running, just, since.
  •  Does anyone in government think that closing the mountain road for a load of old blokes/ Ladies to have a Jolly is a good idea?
  •  Is this event or similar ones planned by gov, themselves the real reason that Derek Flint was not allowed to close roads for his supercar events?

Why are government doing events like this?

It should be a private sector organised thing that gov facilitate, and if needed to get established, give some funds to. 

A gov department playing at being "entrepreneurial"  and event organisers is very wrong.

You only have to look at how half arsed it was organised/ promoted/  to see that.

I read today potential MHKs saying the island needs to project itself as a centre for excellence, and needs to encourage entrepreneurs to move here.

Yeah right, move here and compete with your own government in business and the government's bottomless pit of our money.

Rant over.

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Imagine writing a massive rant based on a false premise. I'd be embarrassed myself.

https://www.sceniccartours.com/iom-festival-of-motoring

I am and shocked to see that it was a private company but all my questions still stand.

Most importantly how half arsed it all looked and for the disruption was it worth it? 

Yeah, how dare anyone bring hundreds of paying tourists over here who will share their positive experience with friends and family so maybe more people come here and spend money. The bastards! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Amadeus said:

Yeah, how dare anyone bring hundreds of paying tourists over here who will share their positive experience with friends and family so maybe more people come here and spend money. The bastards! 

Wasting your time Amadeus, people like Blow Job can't stand anyone coming here and having the cheek to enjoy his island. The government are to blame of course. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Imagine writing a massive rant based on a false premise. I'd be embarrassed myself.

https://www.sceniccartours.com/iom-festival-of-motoring

To be fair to BJ there does seem to have been some DfE involvement in it - certainly enough to warrant a press release with a quote from Rob Callister[1] among others.  Whether this is just them jumping on someone else's bandwagon, or whether they have thrown tons of Events Fund money at it I don't know.  Some of the latter would be fine (especially if it's the start of a series), but the amount and the outcome should be assessed properly (which it won't be).

[1]  Which they really shouldn't be doing in Purdah, but rules seem to be applied only when it suits and clearly no one noticed anyway.

It was a brilliant event. Information has been available online for ages. The display on Loch Prom on Saturday was brilliant. The motorcade on Sunday was brilliant. The people I spoke to who were visiting for the event loved it and look forward to coming back next year. A great success. Just the sort of event we need.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Cambon said:

It was a brilliant event. Information has been available online for ages. The display on Loch Prom on Saturday was brilliant. The motorcade on Sunday was brilliant. The people I spoke to who were visiting for the event loved it and look forward to coming back next year. A great success. Just the sort of event we need.

Damn sight better than all these cycling wankfests

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cambon said:

We will need lots of these events, through the year to make up for the loss of any motorcycling revenue. Lots of Howard and Hilda’s, and their motor vehicles. It will be interesting if the DOI start a major program of disruption, and start repairing the sorry state of the islands roads. It’s fine to inconvenience the locals, but these type of events need a tip top road - hence the use of the Sloc.