IOM Festival of Motoring

Boris Johnson

Manxforums logic:-

Motor events = closed roads - good

Cycle events = closed roads  - bad

Makes no sense, you could bring 1000's bikes over for a cycle event them all spending money and using hotels but because its a bike, its a heinous crime worthy of the death penalty.

We should be encouraging all events that bring revenue to the island, ALL OF THEM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, The Chief said:

Makes no sense, you could bring 1000's bikes over for a cycle event them all spending money and using hotels but because its a bike, its a heinous crime worthy of the death penalty.

We should be encouraging all events that bring revenue to the island, ALL OF THEM.

Calculating the potential financial benefit would be useful. The financial benefit of 1000 bikes makes more sense than a random assortment of cars.

10 minutes ago, The Chief said:

Actually I'm not sure that it's the 'logic' of anyone on Manx Forums except The Voice of Reason, who isn't really the voice of anything except a certain sort of civil service entitlement. 

Most people welcome some investment (directly or in services like police assistance) into events that bring people to the island - it's just that there needs to be proper assessment as to which provide a real financial benefit and which are just subsidising people's hobbies or being make-work for DfE officials.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, The Chief said:

It’s not the mode of transport which is either good or bad, it’s the character of those individuals taking part in the different events.

(although death penalty for cyclists does seem a little harsh)

6 hours ago, cissolt said:

Calculating the potential financial benefit would be useful. The financial benefit of 1000 bikes makes more sense than a random assortment of cars.

1000 cyclists vs 250 cars? 

Cyclists eat and drink next to nothing. Cheap travel on the steam packet. They are more likely so camp or use cheap accommodation. 

Car drivers pretty much all stay in hotels. Go out eating and drinking. Buy petrol. Go souvenir shopping. 

Basically, the car drivers spend far more

35 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Cyclists eat and drink next to nothing. Cheap travel on the steam packet. They are more likely so camp or use cheap accommodation. 

Car drivers pretty much all stay in hotels. Go out eating and drinking. Buy petrol. Go souvenir shopping. 

Cyclists, by definition, are more active and burn more calories than sedentary car drivers, therefore I would suggest they eat and drink, and therefore spend, more than car drivers.  I can only assume that a large proportion of cyclists actually travel here with a car and take in some sights.  Why are cyclists more likely to camp or use cheap accommodation?  I would suggest the typical demographic does not fit that assertion.  Too many assertions, mainly inaccurate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meoir Shee said:

Cyclists, by definition, are more active and burn more calories than sedentary car drivers, therefore I would suggest they eat and drink, and therefore spend, more than car drivers.

If competing, I would have thought that they would be fussy about what they were eating - certainly not standard pub grub. Can't imagine them having a few beers in the evening either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kevster said:

If competing, I would have thought that they would be fussy about what they were eating - certainly not standard pub grub. Can't imagine them having a few beers in the evening either.

I remember being in a hotel chatting to the owner during the long demised cycle week. He was saying much the same, special diets and orange juice. Bar takings were minimal indeed.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I remember being in a hotel chatting to the owner during the long demised cycle week. He was saying much the same, special diets and orange juice. Bar takings were minimal indeed.

Yep, nothing like a bunch of car drivers or motorbike riders that like to sink a few pints eh?

Edited by Boris Johnson

2 hours ago, Cambon said:

Ha ha. You are back in the 70s again.