Manx Gas

ManxTaxPayer

7 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

I don't believe they have gone bust! They have just got out quickly because the profit margin won't be adequate.

I still think strategic services should be a nationalised asset, Public transport, gas, electric, water, sewage, police, medical.

Absolutely, 100% correct.  There are some things that should be private sector, and there are some that shouldn't and all those you list should be in public ownership with the emphasis on covering costs, future infrastructure investment and development.  The focus should be  providing a service to society.   I would have argued about telecommunications too years ago,  but the competitive market does seem to work in that sector, in the UK that is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

We keep all the Manx Radio and Manx Utilities profits though

Profit is the reward for risk and loss is the punishment. When governments, i.e. the tax payer, bails out any private company, be it a bank, a utility etc. then the risk is removed.

Why not do as the banks do with mortgages, i.e. the government loans the gas company (in this case) enough money to sustain through the crisis at the lowest rate government can get for a 100% lien on the company and all of it's assets until it is repaid. There are no dividends or bonuses until the debt is repaid in full and the lien is lifted. No golden parachutes. Even the pension funds are frozen. That would incentivise the company as they would all have skin in the game then.

If shareholders don't like it they can sell at below market rate or hang on in there, if they believe the long term fundamentals are sound and the company can recover. 

Worst case the government gets the business for the cost of what it was already willing to do, i.e. cover the debt of the company. They can then sell it on as is or auction it off.

11 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

Profit is the reward for risk and loss is the punishment. When governments, i.e. the tax payer, bails out any private company, be it a bank, a utility etc. then the risk is removed.

Why not do as the banks do with mortgages, i.e. the government loans the gas company (in this case) enough money to sustain through the crisis at the lowest rate government can get for a 100% lien on the company and all of it's assets until it is repaid. There are no dividends or bonuses until the debt is repaid in full and the lien is lifted. No golden parachutes. Even the pension funds are frozen. That would incentivise the company as they would all have skin in the game then.

If shareholders don't like it they can sell at below market rate or hang on in there, if they believe the long term fundamentals are sound and the company can recover. 

Worst case the government gets the business for the cost of what it was already willing to do, i.e. cover the debt of the company. They can then sell it on as is or auction it off.

Government would be loaning them money it had borrowed itself...

On 9/23/2021 at 8:26 AM, Non-Believer said:

This Island is fast becoming a very expensive place to reside. Many factors are outwith its control, such as gas, just now.

Others are not and are born of failed Govt policies and/or present and past incompetence. Regardless, the buck stops with the man in the street who is ever harder pressed to match the demands. It does nothing towards making the place an attractive place to live.

'Twould appear that I'm not the only one who thinks so just now too....

Screenshot_20210928-200232_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1