Election Results Thread

Amadeus

2 minutes ago, Declan said:

This came up in the Rushen debate. They all spoke for TT as a testing ground for green technologies. The green candidate made the point that riding here was a less polluting holiday than flying to the sun. I wasn't entirely convinced.

I am only using the TT as an example. Yes I care about the environment, as much, as anyone else. I’m not a fanatic or enviro loon though. However a lot of these people wish to bring in legislation to ban petrol/diesel vehicles by 2030. This will have devastating consequences for the island, such as the collapse of the many used car sellers, and other businesses. Electric vehicles are very admirable but they are expensive, need charging everyday and there isn’t the infrastructure. The infrastructure won’t be in place by 2030 either, if the Civil Service and others don’t play the game. I can’t see the Treasury wishing to subsidise people to give up their petrol or diesel vehicles and switch to electric.

Time for bed.

More positives than negatives - the 4 ministers that had failed in there role lost - Boot, Harmer, Crageen, Baker.

2 Labour Candidates elected

9 women

Good votes for the greens.

Shame about Keeran, but I'm happier than I was at this time in 2016. They need to pick a good CM now. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Declan said:

Time for bed.

More positives than negatives - the 4 ministers that had failed in there role lost - Boot, Harmer, Crageen, Baker.

9 women

Shame about Keeran, but I'm happier than I was at this time in 2016. They need to pick a good CM now. 

It’s now going to be interesting how they fill the two newly vacant Lego Seats. Old Boys Club? Failed MHKs? Transparency and Accountability in the election process? 

42 minutes ago, Freggyragh said:

How hard can it be to count the votes. They've had five hours in Garff & Ramsey - that is 600 minutes, for what? about 6,000 votes? That is a speed of 10 votes per minute. Time this was done online. People don't have the skills to count paper anymore. That - and the national broadcaster deliberately trying to make the whole process as mind-numbingly boring as possible - is not going to encourage more people to vote. 

It's related to the number of candidates and the way the votes have to be counted in multi-seat constituencies.  That's why the constituencies with only four candidates came in first.

5 hours ago, 2112 said:

It’s now going to be interesting how they fill the two newly vacant Lego Seats. Old Boys Club? Failed MHKs? Transparency and Accountability in the election process? 

If they went with the "unlucky losers" it would be Crowther and Kemp (I think), but that's partly because there were in 4 candidate seats. 

Edited by Declan
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Declan said:

Peel

Boot - 273

Cowin - 1070

Corkhill - 1134

Cusins- 855

Harmer - 1073

KLB - 2150

Lee - 201

Well done Peel

5 minutes ago, Declan said:

If they went with the "unlucky losers" it would be Crowther and Kemp (I think), but that's partly because there were only 4 candidates.

Or get a green in - 1964 votes between the only 2 candidates they had - both constituencies with runaway winners. 

24 minutes ago, Declan said:

Time for bed.

9 women

Plus quite a few constituencies are getting upgrades in representation compared to the last house - Rushen, AMC, Peel, Ayre, D. South, D. East, Middle. Possibly D. North and Garff. 

1 minute ago, Freggyragh said:

Or get a green in - 1964 votes between the only 2 candidates they had - both constituencies with runaway winners. 

I voted for the green candidate in Rushen. I don’t think any candidate who didn’t get in the top 2 should be an MLC until after there’s been another election. Maybe the Green Party could nominate another member and see if the Keys feel they’re worthy. It would provide a plurality of voices in there. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure anyone who stood and did badly should be considered - especially not an incumbent- I'd rather see someone like Langan-Newton, Kemp or Cowin than Cregeen or Harmer. Last time they packed Legco with women and that has probably encouraged more women to stand for the Keys. Maybe this time they could think about a couple of non-white members? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Freggyragh said:

Stu, does Middle far fewer voters than poorer areas, or a more apathetic electorate? Genuine question, not having a dig - as a percentage of the vote you did well. 

Not sure, will have to look at the stats tomorrow. Last time the two victors got around 1400 votes each, this time JPW stormed ahead so I got second seat with fewer than a thousand votes.

3 hours ago, Zarley said:

I read through the instructions first - it was all pretty self-evident. It honestly wasn't difficult. People who were unable to work it out correctly maybe shouldn't be permitted to vote.

Yeah yeah I know. I'm just cranky waiting for Glenfaba and Peel's results.

Did you manage to fold your vote in two and fit it in the envelope? Whichever way I looked at it it needed folding in three. 

5 hours ago, Declan said:

Peel

Boot - 273

Cowin - 1070

Corkhill - 1134

Cusins- 855

Harmer - 1073

KLB - 2150

Lee - 201

Well done Peel

Boot got a very clear signal there. Well done Peel indeed! Wonder how many recounts they had. 

• Like 3