Election Results Thread

Amadeus

5 hours ago, 2112 said:

I am only using the TT as an example. Yes I care about the environment, as much, as anyone else. I’m not a fanatic or enviro loon though. However a lot of these people wish to bring in legislation to ban petrol/diesel vehicles by 2030. This will have devastating consequences for the island, such as the collapse of the many used car sellers, and other businesses. Electric vehicles are very admirable but they are expensive, need charging everyday and there isn’t the infrastructure. The infrastructure won’t be in place by 2030 either, if the Civil Service and others don’t play the game. I can’t see the Treasury wishing to subsidise people to give up their petrol or diesel vehicles and switch to electric.

I imagine horse dealers spoke similarly when the car came along. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Declan said:

Ayre

Baker - 709

Cannon -2117

Corkhill - 378

Johnston - 1203

Sousoume - 189

Livingstone  - 517

Weatherall - 514

Westfall - 578

Consequences ==> Baker wasn't voted out because of the poison chalice of the prom or other DoI projects but because it exposed his true arrogance and contempt for those he serves over a prolonged period trying to defend the indefensible. e.g. red zebra crossings, trying to kill seagulls with a digger, shrodingers roundels ~ a roundabout not a roundabout, £million on bridges for walkers and cyclists, overgrown footpaths greeting our returning tourists, miles of atrocious roads with more potholes than a ginger kid has freckles while perfectly servicable roads are rebuilt from the bedrock.

Not once did he give the appearance of getting a grip on any of that nonsense.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Consequences ==> Baker wasn't voted out because of the poison chalice of the prom or other DoI projects but because it exposed his true arrogance and contempt for those he serves over a prolonged period trying to defend the indefensible. e.g. red zebra crossings, trying to kill seagulls with a digger, shrodingers roundels ~ a roundabout not a roundabout, £million on bridges for walkers and cyclists, overgrown footpaths greeting our returning tourists, miles of atrocious roads with more potholes than a ginger kid has freckles while perfectly servicable roads are rebuilt from the bedrock.

Not once did he give the appearance of getting a grip on any of that nonsense.  

Agree with much of that but he got voted out not because he was directly responsible for those failures but because he accepted the role of excuse-maker and sacrificial lamb too meekly. Yes, his arrogance played a part as well. 
The next Minister for Infrastructure should do what he didn’t; question the size and range of the Department and insist on an immediate clear out of DoI senior management and the recruitment of those experienced and qualified to take on the roles. Politicians need to make it clear that the time of the bullshitting, incompetent trough-dippers in top Civil Service positions is over and top salaries should attract top people, recruited from outside of the Civil Service where necessary. 

• Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, Declan said:

I bet the two votes and multiple candidates getting around a 1000 votes make it harder? 

Yes, well within margins of a recount or two or three, depending on how things go. 

9 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Yes, well within margins of a recount or two or three, depending on how things go. 

I meant what’s the practicalities of that. They can’t split the papers in two. 

Do they have piles of Brennan and Cregeen, piles of Brennan and Cowin etc or do they put all Brennan’s in a pile count them and then make a new pile for Cowin and so on?

Just now, Declan said:

I meant what’s the practicalities of that. They can’t split the papers in two. 

Do they have piles of Brennan and Cregeen, piles of Brennan and Cowin etc or do they put all Brennan’s in a pile count them and then make a new pile for Cowin and so on?

I can only go by the way it was done in East, which likely is the same way it's done in other counts. First they sort out the plumps as they are easy to tally, all sorted into piles for each candidate. Then they go through the doubles with the help of a tally sheet where one volunteer calls out the votes, another notes down the votes for each candidate. Last night when you walked around the room you could hear "Barber Faragher" "Barber Joughin" etc as the volunteers went through the ballots. Tally sheets have two parts: count and check, so each pile is counted and then counted again (checked) by different pairs of eyes. Tally sheets are then attached to the counted ballots and added up to get an over-all number. That's it in a nutshell. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Declan said:

They need to pick a good CM now. 

Here’s a fun fact about CMs for everyone.  When one of our CMs was taken into the police station for questioning a few years ago (remember that?), the forum member whose complaints led to his legal troubles somehow got hold of a cctv image from the police station of said CM entering the police station.  The forum member briefly put that image on the Internet. I discovered it, grabbed a copy, and he quickly deleted the original image in a panic and pleaded with me to not share it.

So of course, I listened to his pleas and I inserted the image into my animated avatar. If you look carefully  you can see it for a split second after Ed the Duck and before the crazy superstar OJ Simpson’s beautiful face appears.  So I‘ve posted that picture over 11,000 times.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, joebean said:

Agree with much of that but he got voted out not because he was directly responsible for those failures but because he accepted the role of excuse-maker and sacrificial lamb too meekly. Yes, his arrogance played a part as well. 
The next Minister for Infrastructure should do what he didn’t; question the size and range of the Department and insist on an immediate clear out of DoI senior management and the recruitment of those experienced and qualified to take on the roles. Politicians need to make it clear that the time of the bullshitting, incompetent trough-dippers in top Civil Service positions is over and top salaries should attract top people, recruited from outside of the Civil Service where necessary. 

Will it happen though, it should have happened this term and it didn't?

The Unholy Trinity at the top of the DOI will now simply smirk, nail yet another political scalp to the DOI totem pole and carry on exactly as they have been doing since the Dept's formation 11+ years ago.

10 hours ago, 2112 said:

WTF has the CEO of Manx Care, Who Cares? been given airtime by the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece for? Lots of other politicos failures on the panel but her appearance is really taking the piss! Is Greenhouse due on the panel adding his two pennerth? Perhaps he could advise as to who the next Chief Minister should be?

Considering she was banging on about manx care being removed from politics it was daft to have her sitting on political discussion.  

• Like 2