Election Results Thread

Amadeus

2 minutes ago, Declan said:

You'd have to be pretty hard-hearted to block the door.

Apart from it being poor form, it risks giving the result away. You’re not allowed phones or any transmitting devices during the count for that reason as well. I guess it’s down to the RO on the day. 

16 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Apart from it being poor form, it risks giving the result away. You’re not allowed phones or any transmitting devices during the count for that reason as well. I guess it’s down to the RO on the day. 

Beth Espy said that they were aware he’d left but chose not to report it. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 2112 said:

I am only using the TT as an example. Yes I care about the environment, as much, as anyone else. I’m not a fanatic or enviro loon though. However a lot of these people wish to bring in legislation to ban petrol/diesel vehicles by 2030. This will have devastating consequences for the island, such as the collapse of the many used car sellers, and other businesses. Electric vehicles are very admirable but they are expensive, need charging everyday and there isn’t the infrastructure. The infrastructure won’t be in place by 2030 either, if the Civil Service and others don’t play the game. I can’t see the Treasury wishing to subsidise people to give up their petrol or diesel vehicles and switch to electric.

It's to ban new petrol/diesel vehicles by 2030. Which won't have any impact on used car sellers.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

At least he didn't cry. Unlike someone else I could mention...

Erm.  Wow

Someone who has worked for years then spent the last couple of months working his arse off for a job interview in public which he ultimately didn’t win then shows some emotion after a 17 hour day in what was likely a 100 hour plus day when he lost his job live on the radio and had a mic

stuck in has face.  He now faces the prospect of having to find a new position at near retirement age having been in the public eye and being known everywhere, and one of the forums PC/woke contributors sees fit to have a poke at him for being a bit upset.

I thought you wanted an all inclusive equal rights world? I suppose he just needs to “man up” eh?

41 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

At least he didn't cry. Unlike someone else I could mention...

Erm.  Wow

Someone who has worked for years then spent the last couple of months working his arse off for a job interview in public which he ultimately didn’t win then shows some emotion after a 17 hour day in what was likely a 100 hour plus day when he lost his job live on the radio and had a mic stuck in has face.  He now faces the prospect of having to find a new position at near retirement age having been in the public eye and being known everywhere, and one of the forums PC/woke contributors sees fit to have a poke at him for being a bit upset.

I thought you wanted an all inclusive equal rights world? I suppose he just needs to “man up” eh?

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

He left well before the end of the count. He could see how it was going…

For anyone, it must be difficult, humiliating, or whatever to get yer arse kicked so severely.

But this shows the measure of the man. It really does.

Moral fibre? Courage in diversity? Facing up to life's difficulties? Leader of men? etc.

(I should really add a caveat that I take back my words had there been a real emergency he had to leave for eg. dog was ill, left the iron on, etc.)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Erm.  Wow

Someone who has worked for years then spent the last couple of months working his arse off for a job interview in public which he ultimately didn’t win then shows some emotion after a 17 hour day in what was likely a 100 hour plus day when he lost his job live on the radio and had a mic stuck in has face.  He now faces the prospect of having to find a new position at near retirement age having been in the public eye and being known everywhere, and one of the forums PC/woke contributors sees fit to have a poke at him for being a bit upset.

It is not about losing a job, it is, or should be, about losing the ability to pursue your political ideas.   If he was in it for employment then he was definitely not the right candidate. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Wint just makes up stuff as he goes along - it's bad for the Manx political scene & it's bad for the national broadcaster

He must be replaced on politics/current affairs by someone who knows what they are talking about

Windbag Wint.

I often wonder if he precedes every question with something like "a correspondent has just asked . . ."

As in when he is eating at home "a correspondent emailed - how do you cook these eggs?", "a caller was asking is there any more tea in the pot?"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It is not about losing a job, it is, or should be, about losing the ability to pursue your political ideas.   If he was in it for employment then he was definitely not the right candidate. 

@Ramseyboi He's got a 6 month pay cheque to look after and a pension. He'll not starve.

14 minutes ago, Gladys said:

That as well then. No wonder he was a bit upset.

Just find it astonishing that in this day and age a woman (I assume) has a dig at a man for showing a bit of emotion.

Edited by Ramseyboi

6 hours ago, The Old Git said:

Did you manage to fold your vote in two and fit it in the envelope? Whichever way I looked at it it needed folding in three. 

No, but I weighed up which of the two instructions were more important; folding it in two or folding it and placing it in the envelope in such a way that the ballot paper number was visible in envelope A's window. Obviously the latter was the important one. 

I assumed some idiot CS ordered and printed the wrong size envelope A and never thought to amend the instructions to "fold ballot paper in thirds". 

It wasn't rocket surgery. 

45 minutes ago, Barlow said:

For anyone, it must be difficult, humiliating, or whatever to get yer arse kicked so severely.

But this shows the measure of the man. It really does.

Moral fibre? Courage in diversity? Facing up to life's difficulties? Leader of men? etc.

But he was getting told very clearly he was not that. He’s a man for whom status matters and his diminishing in front of him. I can’t blame him for getting out of there. 

• Like 3

A lot of my wishes came true yesterday, but sadly not all of them. Elated that Baker/ Boot/ Cregeen/ Harmer and Perkins all got their marching orders. Superb results for MLP, but gutted for Gareth Young. Also gutted for Keiran Hannifin, who I really hoped would get in. Disappointed for Andrew Langan-Newton, but Michelle Haywood seems pretty solid alternative, in my opinion at least. My biggest dismay of the evening was the return of Ashford – Errrrrrrrrrrrr!

Now for some speculations about who will get the role of CM. Conscious that Thomas (to my great incredulity) came second to the enigmatic Ann Corlett, this less inspiring performance might mean that he is no longer be one of the favourites to get the top job. With him out of the race, that would proably leave a 3-horse race consisting of: Alf C (eek!), Alex A and I sincerely hope Daphne C. In my opinion Daphne’s stakes have gone up strongly because there are now two like-minded MLP MHKs, who I assume would support her nomination, and there are also more female MHKs.

Both Jane Poole-Wilson and Kate Lord-Brennan could also be reasonable choices, but to my mind it is a bit too hasty to become the CM after being in the HoKs for just a week or so. Perhaps their turn will come next time.

it was a jaw-dropping moment when HQ became CM. If his election proved anything it proved that things that noone anticipated are possible. As much as it might seem like a completely insane idea, could Jason Moorhouse be everyone’s ‘compromise’ candidate for CM? At least he is nice, and he is definitely NOT an idiot.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1