Election Results Thread

Amadeus

1 minute ago, code99 said:

Conscious that Thomas (to my great incredulity) came second to the enigmatic Ann Corlett, this less inspiring performance might mean that he is no longer be one of the favourites to get the top job.

According to what he said at the Manx Radio question time thing the other night, he is no longer eligible for the position - he was quite clear that there could only be 12 candidates, those that won their seats.  That's obviously not the case, but if he believes that it's difficult for him to now put himself forward as CM in my view.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, code99 said:

As much as it might seem like a completely insane idea, could Jason Moorhouse be everyone’s ‘compromise’ candidate for CM? At least he is nice, and he is definitely NOT an idiot.    

Whilst he is not an idiot he probably does not have the presence or public speaking ability that would will be required for the CM role.  Having been a student in his class at high school I would also have concerns over his ability to lead and gain support amongst the MHK's.

Admittedly a lot of time has past since I was taught by him, however, I don't think he is the right candidate for the role.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, code99 said:

A lot of my wishes came true yesterday, but sadly not all of them. Elated that Baker/ Boot/ Cregeen/ Harmer and Perkins all got their marching orders. Superb results for MLP, but gutted for Gareth Young. Also gutted for Keiran Hannifin, who I really hoped would get in. Disappointed for Andrew Langan-Newton, but Michelle Haywood seems pretty solid alternative, in my opinion at least. My biggest dismay of the evening was the return of Ashford – Errrrrrrrrrrrr!

Now for some speculations about who will get the role of CM. Conscious that Thomas (to my great incredulity) came second to the enigmatic Ann Corlett, this less inspiring performance might mean that he is no longer be one of the favourites to get the top job. With him out of the race, that would proably leave a 3-horse race consisting of: Alf C (eek!), Alex A and I sincerely hope Daphne C. In my opinion Daphne’s stakes have gone up strongly because there are now two like-minded MLP MHKs, who I assume would support her nomination, and there are also more female MHKs.

Both Jane Poole-Wilson and Kate Lord-Brennan could also be reasonable choices, but to my mind it is a bit too hasty to become the CM after being in the HoKs for just a week or so. Perhaps their turn will come next time.

it was a jaw-dropping moment when HQ became CM. If his election proved anything it proved that things that noone anticipated are possible. As much as it might seem like a completely insane idea, could Jason Moorhouse be everyone’s ‘compromise’ candidate for CM? At least he is nice, and he is definitely NOT an idiot.    

Time for a woman First Minister and Daphne Caine is the best communicator in Manx politics

Big niche for CT in providing the brains & encouragement to Tynwald & the CS/PS to develop the digital economy, national bank, etc

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, wrighty said:

According to what he said at the Manx Radio question time thing the other night, he is no longer eligible for the position - he was quite clear that there could only be 12 candidates, those that won their seats.  That's obviously not the case, but if he believes that it's difficult for him to now put himself forward as CM in my view.

Quayle came a poor second in Middle when he was appointed to the 'top job'

CT has as much right as anyone to stand for the job, & in the hustings he'd be able to put his Policy Programme 2021 over to the interested public

It is clear with yet more lowish constituency turnouts that the public must be involved in choosing the policy direction of the next government

Edited by SleepyJoe
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, code99 said:

it was a jaw-dropping moment when HQ became CM. If his election proved anything it proved that things that noone anticipated are possible. As much as it might seem like a completely insane idea, could Jason Moorhouse be everyone’s ‘compromise’ candidate for CM? At least he is nice, and he is definitely NOT an idiot.    

WTAF?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Whilst he is not an idiot he probably does not have the presence or public speaking ability that would will be required for the CM role.  Having been a student in his class at high school I would also have concerns over his ability to lead and gain support amongst the MHK's.

Admittedly a lot of time has past since I was taught by him, however, I don't think he is the right candidate for the role.

Were you the ones that locked him in a store cupboard? He is definitely not the right candidate for the role.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What about Tim Crookall for CM? He was certainly the best public speaker out of the seven in G&P, and he's got experience in government. I was very pleasantly surprised by him at the meetings I attended, in both what he said and how he said it. He's gone way up in my estimation. 

I wouldn't mind Daphne Caine either. I'd definitely favour either DC or TC over Alf, JM, CT or AA. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, wrighty said:

When asked last night he suggested Ann Corlett, presumably because he was second. Ann turned it down. 

He seemed quite passionate about reducing government and CS numbers, starting with Tynwald. I've quoted him in my notes from the QEII meeting as saying this about Tynwald - "lead by example".

Also in regards to CS numbers - we're increasingly digitizing public services but CS numbers aren't going down accordingly. (Paraphrased) Definitely wants to cut the fat from both the civil service and government. 

Also spoke about how delaying women's pensions, not giving carer's allowance to pensioners and basically operating a system of unpaid carers is saving government millions off the back of those who can least afford it. Wants this looked at and reformed, along with the piss-poor maternity allowance and childcare provisions that is stopping many couples from having children. Cited a 35% drop in birth rate. 

He didn't go into detail how he'd achieve his goals, but none of them did to be fair, right across the constituencies. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Declan said:

When asked last night he suggested Ann Corlett, presumably because he was second. Ann turned it down. 

I think that was more Chris Thomas trying to cover up his shock and having his nose put out by not topping the poll. Or indeed that Ann Corlett got in at all. It was a daft remark and it also sounded like a veiled sarcasm too.

Chris Thomas will be hurting each time he sits in the Keys/Tynwald having a seat behind Ann Corlett, on the backbench. I suppose a bit like Chris Robertshaw having to sit behind then newbie Clare Barber last time. 

Edited by Barlow
typo
  • Like 1