Election Results Thread

Amadeus

6 hours ago, Barlow said:

[Boot's] got a 6 month pay cheque to look after and a pension. He'll not starve.

He'll get a pension, but I reckon he's 68 so and if you're over 60, you don't get the six month 'parachute payment' as well.  It's meant to tide a rejected MHK over while they look for new work, but it would be a bit rich to give it to pensioner who wasn't.  They only added the condition in 2108 after Singer claimed it at 70-odd.

Incidentally Quine won't get it as you need to have served two years.

5 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

Whilst he is not an idiot he probably does not have the presence or public speaking ability that would will be required for the CM role. 

Sorry, are we still talking about Robert Howard Quayle CBE?

My view is that there are no clear leading contenders at this point, but certainly not 'Letter-shredder' DA with his track record in government. 

Edited by code99

58 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

He'll get a pension, but I reckon he's 68 so and if you're over 60, you don't get the six month 'parachute payment' as well.  It's meant to tide a rejected MHK over while they look for new work, but it would be a bit rich to give it to pensioner who wasn't.  They only added the condition in 2108 after Singer claimed it at 70-odd.

Incidentally Quine won't get it as you need to have served two years.

Time-shift? I wouldn’t put it past Singer standing in 2108. 

• Haha 2

I'm still trying to get reliable, standardised election results, though I'm not sure if that the fault of the careless news media or the returning officers all deciding to do their own thing again.  But a few initial thoughts.

In terms of raw votes the unluckiest loser is clearly Steve Crowther with 1488.  He actually got more votes than a majority (14) of those elected.  Both the Rushen losers, Quine, Harmer and Cowin and Young also got in four figures and with Perkins beat Stu Peters.  As ever the Douglas East MHKs were last of those elected.

There seems to have been a 'female premium' with 10 of the 16 (63%) elected as opposed to 14 of 49 men (29%).   The equivalent figures were both 38% in 2016.   Maybe they were were seen as being more competent and less self-interested after the Quayle years with its all-male CoMin.

Because being in CoMin was pretty disastrous.  Four lost their seats, three very badly, and I doubt either Quayle or Skelly would have been re-elected.  Even Thomas and Allinson seem to have been affected by their limited time there.  Only Ashford and Cannan improved their vote - possibly because both were seen as having a 'good Covid'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

How do you propose a properly democratic house if you reduce the number of seats?

Well if democracy is the issue: Most of what happens is decided in Westminster where the electorate here is not represented at all.

Not only all of Foreign and military policy but even basic mundane stuff. Our lot couldn't even legalise dope like the US states have.

• Like 1

Here we get to worry about nonsense like how long the prom took.

pS - not that I'm especially moaning. It's what it is. But let's not pretend that 24 MHKs on the equivalent of proper professional salaries and perks somehow makes things more democratic.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, pongo said:

Our lot couldn't even legalise dope like the US states have

That's because Quayle said "not on my watch" and, as I have pointed out elsewhere, too much power was put in his hands to hire and fire Minister's. None of the backbenchers seemed to have the backbone to take a bill or a motion on the subject.

Whoever is in charge of the next administration they should take a dual approach to legislation. One team for the mundane amendments to existing legislation (Chris Thomas's sort of field) and another team heading the progressive legislation eg cannabis reform.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Roxanne said:

It's poor reflection on Howard Quayle as Chief Minister that so many of his team failed abysmally at the polls. He was the head man and it was up to him to cultivate a cohesive and supported team but instead it felt more like every man for themselves - with the chief protagonist being the Chief Minister himself.  What an appalling legacy as a leader.

A clear shifting out of the conservative group

Why subsequent to this people see Cannan as CM baffles me

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

That's because Quayle said "not on my watch" and, as I have pointed out elsewhere, too much power was put in his hands to hire and fire Minister's. None of the backbenchers seemed to have the backbone to take a bill or a motion on the subject.

Whoever is in charge of the next administration they should take a dual approach to legislation. One team for the mundane amendments to existing legislation (Chris Thomas's sort of field) and another team heading the progressive legislation eg cannabis reform.

It's interesting that you can now buy a cannabis ETF through the stock exchange, but you get fined by the Manx judiciary for very, very minor possession

I don’t know if anyone has seen the Mannin Branch Celtic League Facebook page today? A picture of all 10 female MHKs outside Tynpotwald building with the title SPARE RIB, not really sure what he Barmy Bernie message is trying to convey. 

I don’t know what the 10 female MHKs are trying to achieve either by their photograph publicity stunt. Stupid Gimmick and personally I think it’s rather devisive and creates division instead of harmony, and a spirit of inclusion. If these people want to introduce legislation, even a private members bill, then don’t be  antagonistic with your sisterhood and feminist agenda.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

8 - you can't count

It’s still a gimmick, and attention seeking at that. If the Male MHKs did the same there would be uproar. Perhaps now the glass ceiling of Womens rights and representation has been smashed, they now have an opportunity to elect BAME (long overdue - And this includes non Christian Religions) candidates for Legislative Council. Let’s see if they can propose, second and actually follow it through. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I think it’s rather devisive and creates division instead of harmony, and a spirit of inclusion. If these people want to introduce legislation, even a private members bill, then don’t be  antagonistic with your sisterhood and feminist agenda.

Only if the male members are shallow, insecure sexists living in a 1950’s comedy about the battle of the sexes. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Declan said:

Only if the male members are shallow, insecure sexists living in a 1950’s comedy about the battle of the sexes. 

Perhaps some of the re-elected members which include women like Clare Barber and Julie Edge will show that they are not colour or religion ignorant. It’s on record when the last MLC election was carried out a person of BAME status was proposed and seconded, but received no votes. Maybe they would have received votes if they were BAME, Manx, Disabled and were of a different sexual orientation. Probably not, as Team HOK even with the new intake will probably act identically as the previous regime. They all talk a good game.