Election Results Thread

Amadeus

2 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

Maybe those who received over 1,000 votes might have a sort of mandate to stand for LegCo

No they have zero mandate. They stood to be a MHK not an MLC.

MHK and MLC are completely different positions and in my view require different skills. A MLC is all about reviewing and revising legislation so you need to be skilled at reading and understanding long legal documentation and spotting flaws in the documentation. They have no constituency work. they should not be part of Government, introducing policy etc.

Until Tynwald changes we need to stop viewing MHKs and MLCs as almost interchangeable as there are people who I expect might make good MLCs but I would not want as an MHK or vice versa. As a middle voter if I had been voting to elect two MLCs at the last I would have cast my vote differently than I did in respect of MHK's.

I appreciate that people want the election of MLCs to change but, as it stands, simply making a position for a "lucky loser" is wrong.  

Edited by Lost Login
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

It's been shown over the years that people can switch from one to the other

Two have just left LegCo for the Keys, & one former MLC was elected to the Keys too

I know they have but you did not ask if people can switch from one to the other. The suggestion you raised though was whether if you did stood to be an MHK and did not get elected you might have a mandate to be an MLC if you had 1,000 or more votes. My answer was no as none had put themselves forward to  the public to be elected as MLC.

1 hour ago, Lost Login said:

MHK and MLC are completely different positions and in my view require different skills. A MLC is all about reviewing and revising legislation so you need to be skilled at reading and understanding long legal documentation and spotting flaws in the documentation. They have no constituency work. they should not be part of Government, introducing policy etc.  

None of that is really true.  Technically MLCs do exactly the same job with legislation as MHKs do and examining Hansard will often show much longer and more searching examination taking place in the Keys.  The idea it is somehow a 'revising chamber' is both new and inaccurate.

The great legal scholar John Griffith famously remarked "The British Constitution is what happens".  Similarly the role of LegCo is what LegCo does and this has changed on a regular basis over the last 50 years.  There's nothing written in statute and 'conventions' as to what can and can't happen (eg LegCo members not being Ministers) are new, arbitrary and frequently broken.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Lost Login said:

MHK and MLC are completely different positions and in my view require different skills.

....sorry. I thought this was some sort of joke.

On 10/1/2021 at 11:28 AM, manxman34 said:

I notice the twice-rejected Australian / German has resurrected his ridiculous"Taxpayers' Alliance' and is sounding off on FB. What's left for him now, given that we don't elect a dog-catcher?

Just seen some of that, and if that's his level of political and financial analysis then Douglas East definitely dodged a bullet there! Do you think he gets paid a bonus every time he shoehorns the word "blowout" into a reply?

• Like 1