Next Chief Minister?

Lost Login

Next Chief Minister  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Here you go, as reported in the Examiner:

Screenshot 2021-09-30 10.15.12.png

The amount of off-Island travel? That was just Howard’s way. All those wasted trips to London trying to get us the best Brexit deal. All utterly futile.

until the time comes where the Island has to consider capitulation and absorption into the UK, my advice would be to spend as little time as possible rattling the Whitehall cage and keep one’s head down. They are skint over here so another raid on the CD’s is entirely possible, and more likely if they are reminded of their existence on a regular basis 

• Haha 1

Mrs Caine’s answer only goes to reinforce sexist stereotypes does it not?  Most senior roles in most businesses require significant off island travel and to suggest that is a barrier to women with families holding those positions is pretty archaic.

I don’t know what ages her kids are but I always just looked after mine when the Mrs was away for work from as soon as she started work again (youngest was 2 as I recall)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

The amount of off-Island travel? That was just Howard’s way. All those wasted trips to London trying to get us the best Brexit deal. All utterly futile.

until the time comes where the Island has to consider capitulation and absorption into the UK, my advice would be to spend as little time as possible rattling the Whitehall cage and keep one’s head down. They are skint over here so another raid on the CD’s is entirely possible, and more likely if they are reminded of their existence on a regular basis 

Off-island travel for Howard started in 2015 with the infamous NZ holiday/fact finding trip.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pongo said:

You love scaremongering your theory that there is trouble ahead for the IOM, always just over the horizon.

Del is right. The last few years has seen Quayle and his Cronies endlessly dick waving competitions against Jersey and Guernsey, and endless boasting to the UK. The attention seeking in January this year was orchestrated by PR which we subscribe to. Quayle was portrayed as a ‘hero’ and both him and Ashford rightly or wrongly received honours, which generated publicity. This island should keep quiet and get on with its business. Even Alfs boasting about surpluses isn’t clever, I’m sure the UK aren’t stupid and know statistics regarding the Crown Dependencies and Overseas Terrotries. 

Look where the boasting about the islands film industry - a VAT clawback. We couldn’t even make a decent fist of the Manx Media Fund. How many films are now made here? How many bed nights are they creating? How much are they bringing to the island? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pongo said:

You love scaremongering your theory that there is trouble ahead for the IOM, always just over the horizon.

They are, but by diligence, care and application they can be subverted or averted. Willy waving around the corridors of Whitehall is not the way to do it. If the island truly is autonomous in Government then start behaving that way. Don’t go unless asked, and then enquire whether it is absolutely necessary.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Unless you were there you have no absolutely no idea whether any thing was achieved or not just like I don't. What we do know is that when I think the UK joined the EU the Isle of Man was basically forgotten about and was tagged on at the end as were the Channel Islands.

It is surely better to engage and try and persuade rather than to stick your head in the sand until you suddenly get a nasty surprise and find there is no time to do anything about it.

The IoM is a little place and all it can do is basically try and get a small level of engagement so it is hopefully listed to. That is probably about one of the best ways the CM can spend his time, especially during Brexit negotiations.

I have state loads of times I am not overly bothered who is CM as I think they are so constrained as to what they can actually do that expecting major changes whoever is CM is fanciful. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

They are, but by diligence, care and application they can be subverted or averted. Willy waving around the corridors of Whitehall is not the way to do it. If the island truly is autonomous in Government then start behaving that way. Don’t go unless asked, and then enquire whether it is absolutely necessary.

I suspect that the noses of several Whitehall mandarins would be put out of joint if an invitation was not positively received. 

HQ may have engaged in "willy waving", he may not, but I do think it is absolutely correct that personal relationships are forged and reinforced.  The best relationships will not be at politician level, but at Whitehall level, that is where the continuity is, and where informal assistance will most likely be forthcoming. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

Unless you were there you have no absolutely no idea whether any thing was achieved or not just like I don't. What we do know is that when I think the UK joined the EU the Isle of Man was basically forgotten about and was tagged on at the end as were the Channel Islands.

It is surely better to engage and try and persuade rather than to stick your head in the sand until you suddenly get a nasty surprise and find there is no time to do anything about it.

The IoM is a little place and all it can do is basically try and get a small level of engagement so it is hopefully listed to. That is probably about one of the best ways the CM can spend his time, especially during Brexit negotiations.

I have state loads of times I am not overly bothered who is CM as I think they are so constrained as to what they can actually do that expecting major changes whoever is CM is fanciful. 

This is true on an international level, but on a national (IOM) level, the CM is very powerful. Even more so if he surrounds himself with cronies who have voted him into that position.