Next Chief Minister?

Lost Login

Next Chief Minister  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I think he meant ministerial experience, not necessarily last CoMin. But combining this with his ‘First in the constituency’ condition, isn’t he left with a choice of Alf Cannan and nobody else? David Ashford has said he’s not interested, Alex and CT himself came second, and I assume being speaker and not a minister also rules JW out in Chris Thomas’s mind.  

Unless I’ve forgotten someone, Vulcan logic dictates CT supports Alf!

Personally I think someone such as Mrs Caine with a good deal of Keys & Tynwald experience now should have the job

Nobody should be excluded from putting their names forward & speaking at the PAG hustings on Monday 11th October

If they have at least an 'Agenda For Change' to put forward it might help their cause

29 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I think he meant ministerial experience, not necessarily last CoMin. But combining this with his ‘First in the constituency’ condition, isn’t he left with a choice of Alf Cannan and nobody else? David Ashford has said he’s not interested, Alex and CT himself came second, and I assume being speaker and not a minister also rules JW out in Chris Thomas’s mind.  

Unless I’ve forgotten someone, Vulcan logic dictates CT supports Alf!

I have listened to the relevant extract again and it is difficult to actually be certain what he was trying to say when we was talking about the Chief Minister and the Council of Ministers. It was one of his long replies which sound impressive when you hear them but when you listened back carefully seem to go off down rabbit holes and you are never sure what the point was. Listening back I think he possibly was trying to suggest that whilst we have a person called chief or first minister they are simply one of 8 or 9 ministers who are all basically equal but I it is difficult to be sure.

As you said, he was very clear though that in his opinion anybody standing for CM must top the poll in their constituency and when Andy Wint picked up this point CT clarified why he was of that view.

I don't really care that much who is CM as I think that they will find that there are so many constraints in place that apart from a change in tone there will not be a great deal of difference felt across the board. Anything truly reforming would probably require an increase in taxes to fund at which point you might struggle to get support as the electorate do not generally like tax increases, rather they expect funds to be found from Government savings.

8 minutes ago, Declan said:

I was thinking that. Though Crookhall's back from the class of 2006.

But not continuous service. I think continuous service is required for the father of house, or more correctly, longest serving member, position. 

Whoever it is doesn’t even have the duty to preside over the election of the Acting Speaker immediately after a general election.

1 hour ago, Will Halsall said:
2 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

JW has ministerial experience.

Only in Home Affairs - can’t be too difficult as Cregeen was the last HM Minister.

Quite.

And we all remember how that turned out....

Edited by P.K.

I would think that JW will not want CM , yet! Young family and easily embedded and well versed in constituency stuff that presumably he would not want to leave it all a a newbie's shoulders.

I agree that CT has talked himself out of the role now.

I reckon If Alf doesn't want it or doesn't get it we may be left with.....David Ashford as CM !!!

People I know actually rate him for his work ethic and his attention to detail. He impressed many in Douglas in the meetings apparently. 

1 minute ago, Apple said:

I would think that JW will not want CM , yet! Young family and easily embedded and well versed in constituency stuff that presumably he would not want to leave it all a a newbie's shoulders.

I agree that CT has talked himself out of the role now.

I reckon If Alf doesn't want it or doesn't get it we may be left with.....David Ashford as CM !!!

People I know actually rate him for his work ethic and his attention to detail. He impressed many in Douglas in the meetings apparently. 

His attention to detail - does that include the use of a shredder...?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Apple said:

I can imagine his plan is to be President for 20 years next time around unless they make it an honorary position with no salary

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Declan said:

One for @Roger Mexico perhaps is JW still one of the youngest in the Keys? I'm thinking Lawrie and Sarah Maltby might be younger.

It's really difficult to find ages out now.  Birth dates have disappeared from the Tynwald website and interviewers don't seem to ask.  There's no legal reason why not, I presume it's just Boomer vanity.

Last time I managed to work out everyone's ages except Edge because I wanted to work out if the new House really was a younger generation than its predecessor (answer not really) so I got figures from that, though they may be a year out.  I reckon Watterson is 41 and Hooper (34) and Barber (37) are younger.  At a guess Faragher and Maltby might be younger, possibly Christian and Johnston.

2 hours ago, Will Halsall said:

Only in Home Affairs - can’t be too difficult as Cregeen was the last HM Minister.

And lost his seat as did Earnshaw and Martyn Quayle in 2011, in fact apart from interim ministers Watterson is the only Home Affairs minister to be re-elected at the next election since 2006.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, P.K. said:

His attention to detail - does that include the use of a shredder...?

I didn't vote for him, I wouldn't vote for him, and I would check the weather for myself outside even if he told me it was raining.

Having said that, he could be the best we get. 

Hooper for DHSC Minister ?? Why not ?