Next Chief Minister?

Lost Login

Next Chief Minister  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

He’s said that he doesn’t want it and he’d be totally cr@p as well. I’m not sure we’re all ready for a 4pm CM briefing every week like something off Pathe News telling us how the Island will be run for the next week which seems to be his main amd only strength.

I was actually referring to @Declanlist of Home Affairs ministers as Ashford did that for a short time.

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's really difficult to find ages out now.  Birth dates have disappeared from the Tynwald website and interviewers don't seem to ask.  There's no legal reason why not, I presume it's just Boomer vanity.

Last time I managed to work out everyone's ages except Edge because I wanted to work out if the new House really was a younger generation than its predecessor (answer not really) so I got figures from that, though they may be a year out.  I reckon Watterson is 41 and Hooper (34) and Barber (37) are younger.  At a guess Faragher and Maltby might be younger, possibly Christian and Johnston.

Watterson said he was 41 in the election meeting. Faragher is 42 I found and so older. An old Cretney manifesto puts Sarah at 37. Hooper was 29 at the last election, Christian did A-Levels when Juan was 12. MR says "Tim Johnston is an independent candidate and has lived and worked in the constituency for 35 years" - but I'm not sure it means he's actually been working 35 years. Barber's hard to pinpoint because she went to uni later in life, she has been coming on holiday here since 1986, which ties in with your age.

6 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Being pedantic here but what about Ashford?

I said barring interim ministers.  

4 minutes ago, Declan said:

Watterson said he was 41 in the election meeting. Faragher is 42 I found and so older. An old Cretney manifesto puts Sarah at 37. Hooper was 29 at the last election, Christian did A-Levels when Juan was 12. MR says "Tim Johnston is an independent candidate and has lived and worked in the constituency for 35 years" - but I'm not sure it means he's actually been working 35 years. Barber's hard to pinpoint because she went to uni later in life, she has been coming on holiday here since 1986, which ties in with your age.

I'm fairly certain about the old House because most of those were based on d.o.b.s on Tynwald website.  Christian is obviously older then and so (just) is Faragher.  I suspect that like all the other Tims, Johnston is late 40s-50s but can't be sure. 

Add to the list Lord-Brennan however who was 35 when she stood for LegCo in 2018.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

All the ages are publicly available unless any chose not to answer, like JPW

www.vote2021.im

Why should be required to answer? II am sure that as part of the standing for election procedure candidates have to somehow declare that they are of an age to be eligible.

If they want to and think it would help their chances they are free to divulge their age

As a voter I did not have to declare my age 

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Why should be required to answer? Maybe a declaration that they are of an age to be eligible to stand should be mandatory. If they want to and think it would help their chances they are free to divulge their age

As a voter I did not have to declare my age 

Yes you do.  To register to vote you literally have to give your date of birth.  So that you can show you are old enough (but not too old for jury service).

There's a good argument that we should know how old politicians are because certain benefits and obligations may be age-related and so it's part of declaring their interests when they are making decisions about such matters.

14 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes you do.  To register to vote you literally have to give your date of birth.  So that you can show you are old enough (but not too old for jury service).

There's a good argument that we should know how old politicians are because certain benefits and obligations may be age-related and so it's part of declaring their interests when they are making decisions about such matters.

OK your first paragraph fair enough I concede.

Re your second paragraph, yes politicians may have a vested interest because of their age, but there is also a lot of other stuff we don’t know about them (and shouldn’t) which may influence their decision making

It's interesting from a statistical point of view and to see the range of ages - but wouldn't care if it was anonymised. 

@Roger Mexico it's looking like a slight shift from Boomers to Gen X with a small  increase in Millennials? Average age remaining virtually unchanged because Ashford (869) skews the average. 

• Haha 2