Next Chief Minister?

Lost Login

Next Chief Minister  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

40 minutes ago, Zarley said:

Nominations on 5 October, manifestos made public on the 7th, election on the 12th. 

Please let’s not go for a woman just to be seen to be going for a woman.  Some of the stuff being posted on social media is really quite worrying.  Loads of people concluding that it must be a woman just because we haven’t had one before.

To my mind AC is the obvious choice and personally I will be disappointed if it is anyone else.

Especially if it is Daphne Cain, or JPW one of which simply isn’t strong enough and the other who might well be our best bet next time around just doesn’t have the experience.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Please let’s not go for a woman just to be seen to be going for a woman.  Some of the stuff being posted on social media is really quite worrying.  Loads of people concluding that it must be a woman just because we haven’t had one before.

To my mind AC is the obvious choice and personally I will be disappointed if it is anyone else.

Especially if it is Daphne Cain, or JPW one of which simply isn’t strong enough and the other who might well be our best bet next time around just doesn’t have the experience.

HQ had the experience, just how much worse could someone who doesn't actually be ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, asitis said:

HQ had the experience, just how much worse could someone who doesn't actually be ?

Was HQ and his Government ant worse than his predecessors in terms of achievements or lack of them? At least they had the excuse of dealing with Brexit and Covid.

Allan Bell with Eddie Teare as Treasury Minister had one big issue to deal with and that deal with the size and cost of Government and address pension issues. They did neither and the conflict and lack of openness in Tynwald was far worse under Bell and Teare. The one thing that MHKs did say when HQ did become CM was how much more cohesiveness there was. OK it may not have lasted but I don't think it ever will as in the last 18 months of an administration the easiest way to increase your popularity is to resign from Government and attack. Lost a fortune on the film fund.

Tony Brown with Alan Bell as Treasury Minister - landed us with the VAT problem after Brown's boasting in London. After this reshuffled Government to have a Minister of Economic Development. In effect this was a role that Bell took which effectively left him to be able announce anything positive re the economy and Anne Craine any bad news as treasury minister

Richard Corkill with Allan Bell as Treasury Minister - RC was forced to leave office under a cloud but similar to Gelling's Government

Donald Gelling with Richard Corkill as Treasury Minister.  Probably seen as doing OK at the time but there was plenty of money about. In hindsight because of this took the easy option and Government got flabby with very generous pay and conditions which latter came back to bite IoM Govt in the arse.  

Miles Walker with David Cannan and then Donald Gelling as Treasury Minister. I have no real comment as don't remember the structure pre Walker but I think this was the time that IoM Government started to be come a financial player and turn the economy around so they must be marked as doing a decent job.

Over that time though we have a couple of banks collapsing, Mount Murray and MEA loans and huge over spends on capital projects.

Generally at the end of every administration I think they are described as being the worst Govt or CM in the history of the Island. How easily we forget. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

To be honest, I don't think 'experience' counts for much here. I don't know much about JPW but what I do hear from people I trust is she's bright and clever.

Imagine what could be achieved with someone unburdened by past convention?

Time to try something different as this could be a last role of the dice

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

Was HQ and his Government ant worse than his predecessors in terms of achievements or lack of them? At least they had the excuse of dealing with Brexit and Covid.

Allan Bell with Eddie Teare as Treasury Minister had one big issue to deal with and that deal with the size and cost of Government and address pension issues. They did neither and the conflict and lack of openness in Tynwald was far worse under Bell and Teare. The one thing that MHKs did say when HQ did become CM was how much more cohesiveness there was. OK it may not have lasted but I don't think it ever will as in the last 18 months of an administration the easiest way to increase your popularity is to resign from Government and attack. Lost a fortune on the film fund.

Tony Brown with Alan Bell as Treasury Minister - landed us with the VAT problem after Brown's boasting in London. After this reshuffled Government to have a Minister of Economic Development. In effect this was a role that Bell took which effectively left him to be able announce anything positive re the economy and Anne Craine any bad news as treasury minister

Richard Corkill with Allan Bell as Treasury Minister - RC was forced to leave office under a cloud but similar to Gelling's Government

Donald Gelling with Richard Corkill as Treasury Minister.  Probably seen as doing OK at the time but there was plenty of money about. In hindsight because of this took the easy option and Government got flabby with very generous pay and conditions which latter came back to bite IoM Govt in the arse.  

Miles Walker with David Cannan and then Donald Gelling as Treasury Minister. I have no real comment as don't remember the structure pre Walker but I think this was the time that IoM Government started to be come a financial player and turn the economy around so they must be marked as doing a decent job.

Over that time though we have a couple of banks collapsing, Mount Murray and MEA loans and huge over spends on capital projects.

Generally at the end of every administration I think they are described as being the worst Govt or CM in the history of the Island. How easily we forget. 

I agree, so I go back to my original comment if this is an achievement list of people with experience, then give someone a go untainted by that experience as it is surely worthless !!

• Like 1

I think once a hard dose of realty will settle in with a possible choice of Chris Thomas, Alf Cannan and Alex Allinson. I heard a rumour that Allinson sent messages to newly elected MHKs sounding out standing - how reliable this rumour is remains to be seen. Like in 2016, if all three are disliked and votes short, then maybe a compromise candidate - Rob Callister (nightmare for the island, but comedy gold on here everyday).

• Haha 5

12 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I think once a hard dose of realty will settle in with a possible choice of Chris Thomas, Alf Cannan and Alex Allinson. I heard a rumour that Allinson sent messages to newly elected MHKs sounding out standing - how reliable this rumour is remains to be seen. Like in 2016, if all three are disliked and votes short, then maybe a compromise candidate - Rob Callister (nightmare for the island, but comedy gold on here everyday).

If Rob callister ended up CM then I'm sorry but that would be enough to convince me we are living in some sort of truman show reality where we are being controlled by a director for the entertainment of others

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

To be honest, I don't think 'experience' counts for much here. I don't know much about JPW but what I do hear from people I trust is she's bright and clever.

Imagine what could be achieved with someone unburdened by past convention?

Time to try something different as this could be a last role of the dice

Many of the 2016 intake were bright. I remember conversations about what a breath of fresh air they were after the Bell Government. 

29 minutes ago, asitis said:

In the current circumstances we need a CM with intellect and some fiscal understanding, and the ability to see through the rivers of bullshit from the CS.  That narrows the field a bit !

Yes you are right but non of the usual suspects that have served in the Bell and Quayle Regimes, and held ministerial roles have had the guts to stand up to the Sir Humphrey and Government Offices Mandarins. Quayle was weak as well, after all look at the increased civil servant headcount, which increases the pension liability to the taxpayer. Look at the new Government schemes, which come with new mini empires, like an octopus. Administrators, EOs, SEOs and HEOs to run registers etc.

As regards Rob Callister, it is possible that he hit the campaign trail, canvassing for a CM nomination. On this island I wouldn’t be surprised, regardless of ability. Let’s face it he sat on the Promenade Committee for 3 years and obviously did diddly squat - unable to influence - a good characteristic of a CM. Keeping Quiet - definite Manx politician characteristic. I don’t think Alf, Alex or Chris have any other better skills. You can only work with the Tools at your disposal. Crap Tools!

You can definitely rule out Ashford. I would hazard a guess that if the Industrial Tribunal goes against the DHSC, and Ashford is criticised, he may have to resign both ministerial and MHK seat - take one for the team!

Edited by 2112

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

Says someone trumpeting Daphne Cain like that’s ever going to happen either. 

The best person for the top job would be one who exemplifies the Nolan Principles, & to me the experienced MHK who best demonstrates these virtues is Mrs Caine

image.png.c44e08bd8819ec822265bde8e08a2447.png

Edited by SleepyJoe
  • Haha 1