Next Chief Minister?

Lost Login

Next Chief Minister  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Tynwald/the Keys should be able to make them resign if they feel they have failed in the job.  

How do you define having failed in the job? Cregeen in my view was a byword for incompetence and failure but I am pretty sure that he would have done his basic duties as a Minister 

On the forum I see lots of fine broad ideals or otherwise but generally very little by way of specifics as to how practically they might work. We generally are all in favour of elected MLC's and a CM but when you come down to so that MLCs are not effectively just MHK's or that the voting does not effectively give the MLC's or CM a bigger mandate than MHKs. It is easy coming up with things that we want to see changed but very difficult to come with specifics that work in practice  

18 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

It will be a two horse race as anyone else who puts themselves forward is deluded.

Cannan will get the job.

Any fannying about between now and then with manifestos, discussion or votes is a waste of time.

Welcome to the real world.

You're sounding like Alan Bell.

46 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

How do you define having failed in the job? Cregeen in my view was a byword for incompetence and failure but I am pretty sure that he would have done his basic duties as a Minister 

That's not for me or you to define though, that's for the Keys.  Whether you think they have done their 'basic duties' or not is irrelevant, though as far as I can see their basic duties resemble that of a rubber stamp.

1 hour ago, Ramseyboi said:

I don’t recall Alan always being right and so am not quite sure what your point is?

But he thought he was. 

His biggest fault was that he grew impatient with democratic process when he'd made his mind up, especially when a HNWI was involved. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Bottom line, it matters not who is CM or for that matter who are MHKs in the new Tynwald.

Due to our "system" our votes don't make a toss of difference and neither do the elected make any difference.

For example who went into the election 5 years ago with a proposal to wipe out the taxi trade and buy mini buses

No One Did

The island is run by the CS and I think this is because it suits the UK government, our ultimate masters, don't forget, to have it this way.*

*I can see why the UK want it like this, the island is a good place to "store" money and the like. They feed us the dregs with the VAT money, which we still get far more than makes any sense in comparison to our consumption. Don't forget it is a consumption tax.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Declan said:

But he thought he was. 

His biggest fault was that he grew impatient with democratic process when he'd made his mind up, especially when a HNWI was involved. 

So how does that relate to me posting what I thought was going to happen/what is obviously going to happen/what so far has been completely correct?

Confused

4 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's not for me or you to define though, that's for the Keys.  Whether you think they have done their 'basic duties' or not is irrelevant, though as far as I can see their basic duties resemble that of a rubber stamp.

No but a couple have made the suggestion that Ministers should be made "to resign if they feel they have failed in the job". I would have thought having made the suggestion they would have had some basic outline of how it could be judged whether a Minister has failed. I am struggling to think how it could be done so I asked the question as without being able to understand if or how it could be done in a way that is not purely just a case of "I don't like you" it is hard to understand if the suggestion has any merit. 

On 9/30/2021 at 1:58 PM, Ramseyboi said:

Nominated will be Allinson and Cannan.  That’s it

Chances of me being proven wrong in the next few hours?  Slim to none.  Anyone who thought any of the others would be in the race is deluded.

Edited by Ramseyboi
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

I would like someone who can put more than two words together in a sentence and not punctuate it with ‘erm’ ‘err’ ‘um’ AND have some sort of intelligence.

That’s both of those in the running then.

Sounds like you should have stood yourself.