Next Chief Minister?

Lost Login

Next Chief Minister  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Alternately just reduce the power of the Chief Minister by having the Ministers elected by Tynwald instead of by the Chief Minister as a favour for voting for them. It would remove the power of the Chief Minister to hire and fire at whim (let's not forget Costains bunch of flowers and a forced resignation) which seems to originate from trying to make the system similar to that we had with the Governor being in charge. It means that when Ministers mess up Tynwald can remove them rather the Chief Minister who may not fire them for fear of losing a loyal supporter (Cregeen, Baker, Harmer and Boot all should have gone at various points). Too much power in one person's hands is never a good thing.

Cregeen, Baker, Harmer and Boot have all bit the dust, the Electorate have done the former CM should have done a long time ago.

Edited by Beelzebub3

11 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

Ashford would never make a decision without someone prompting him, CM material he is not.

He has said, today, that he does not intend to stand as CM.   

With that announcement, he has risen about 2 points in my estimation.  I hope he sticks to it. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Treasury minister then cm next time is ashies route. It was always going to be cannan this time around, otherwise what was the point in shielding him from criticism throughout corona?

You have lost the plot, DA treasury minister would not go very well, his track record at DBC was not that good, chewing gum machine springs to mind.

It will be up to the Members of the House of Keys, many of whom are newbies and by definition and without having been an MHK previously let alone sat in the inner sanctum of the Council of Ministers won't have that much of a clue what it is they are actually voting for. But they still have a vote. And many are indeed women.

So in the absence of a clear candidate Jane Poole-Wilson may well be the one.

But it will be Cannan.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Treasury minister then cm next time is ashies route. It was always going to be cannan this time around, otherwise what was the point in shielding him from criticism throughout corona?

I feel Allinson has been setup perfectly for the CM role for all the reasons you’ve just mentioned, it’s definitely between Allinson and Cannan.

27 minutes ago, Gladys said:

He has said, today, that he does not intend to stand as CM.   

With that announcement, he has risen about 2 points in my estimation.  I hope he sticks to it. 

When is a leader not a leader though? It should be the best person for the role, not who wants to play big chief and who doesn’t. The fact he doesn’t want to do it shows a big weakness IMO.