Next Chief Minister?

Lost Login

Next Chief Minister  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

If they are actually taking place, as they always have, I can't see what your objection to Prayers appearing on the Order Paper is.  Surely it's just a warning notice: "This product may contain traces of God". 

I hope the new way of doing Written Questions has two effects.  Firstly MHKs may use them to get the data which they can then use at the next Tynwald to ask better informed and more targeted Oral Questions.  It would speed up the process in other words. 

Secondly it means that rather than all the information being released in one big data dump on sitting days and all sorts of stuff being overlooked, if it is dribbled out across the month, politicians and media may pick up and pursue more issues that arise from it.  Obviously both these factors rely on them actually changing the way they work and the civil service not being even more obstructive than usual, but it's worth a try.

There has been a big shift in recent years from primary to secondary legislation for various reasons, most of them bad.  So more scrutiny can only be welcomed and might stop the ridiculous situation of Tynwald sessions lasting four days, with ridiculously crammed Order Papers and loads of items getting nodded through out of tiredness.  Meanwhile Keys and even more so LegCo have nothing much to do at their meetings.

Like the warning, this product may contain traces of God, I think a more relevant and applicable warning should say ‘May contain Nuts!’

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, James Blonde said:

If Alf is serious about cutting the CS and privatising functions that have no place in the public sector then he is the least worse choice. 

Alf has had years of doing nothing, can hardly see him rolling his sleeves up now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, James Blonde said:

If Alf is serious about cutting the CS and privatising functions that have no place in the public sector then he is the least worse choice. 

He'll do as little as possible to combat climate change & believe he has a mandate to continue his war of attrition against our system of social security

He'd be a fcuking disaster as CM

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

He'll do as little as possible to combat climate change & believe he has a mandate to continue his war of attrition against our system of social security

You're not going to let Daphne go, are you.

24 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Unlucky then.  Because it’s going to happen as was obvious even before the general election

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

If they are actually taking place, as they always have, I can't see what your objection to Prayers appearing on the Order Paper is.  Surely it's just a warning notice: "This product may contain traces of God".

Very funny Roger but the prayer element is suggestive that there is some divine influence also present, adding a particular righteousness to the proceedings. In the eyes of believers it is quintessential that the lord's presence in the ether is qualified by the prayers.

"Guide us, oh lord.."

I take it seriously, it offends me. Freedom from religion, not freedom of religion, the house should be secular.

Besides, which 'god'; whose 'god' are the prayers aimed at? The White christ? Allah? Yahweh, et al?

It's all ceremonial, archaic bollocks and should have no place in the modernising process. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Time the electorate had a real say in who governs

I think you would find the result would be the same.  Nearly everyone I speak to who isn’t some sort of hippy thinks it should by Alf with a few for Alex then hardly anyone else believing anyone else is actually a credible candidate.

The exception is social media, where you have a very vocal minority talking about “change” but with no actual detail on how that would be achieved or what it would look like other than making the CM a woman just for the sake of the CM being a woman.  Oh, and “progressive” apparently the CM needs to be progressive and that will fix everything by making us an all caring society who treat everyone equally and throw money at people and services to make everything soft and cuddly.

Edited by Ramseyboi
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, quilp said:

Very funny Roger but the prayer element is suggestive that there is some divine influence also present, adding a particular righteousness to the proceedings. In the eyes of believers it is quintessential that the lord's presence in the ether is qualified by the prayers.

"Guide us, oh lord.."

I take it seriously, it offends me. Freedom from religion, not freedom of religion, the house should be secular.

Besides, which 'god'; whose 'god' are the prayers aimed at? The White christ? Allah? Yahweh, et al?

It's all ceremonial, archaic bollocks and should have no place in the modernising process. 

How states view religion as a good thing and one to regard as the highest authority is beyond me.  Religion is man-made and a lot of men are taking full advantage of the privileges it confers, vis child abuse, financial irregularity and war mongering. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I hope the new way of doing Written Questions has two effects.  Firstly MHKs may use them to get the data which they can then use at the next Tynwald to ask better informed and more targeted Oral Questions.  It would speed up the process in other words.

I hope so too and agree with what you say. 

Frankly so much valuble was wasted in the last session with Qs that could easily have been answered elsewhere. 

Use Question time for things that really matter!

1 hour ago, SleepyJoe said:

Daphne has had her opportunity and has decided not to take it

It's for Joney now to contend for the top job next time around

Joe, you and that Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah lunatic seem obsessed with having a female CM, irrespective of any track record at all?

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

I think you would find the result would be the same.  Nearly everyone I speak to who isn’t some sort of hippy thinks it should by Alf with a few for Alex then hardly anyone else believing anyone else is actually a credible candidate.

The exception is social media, where you have a very vocal minority talking about “change” but with no actual detail on how that would be achieved or what it would look like other than making the CM a woman just for the sake of the CM being a woman.  Oh, and “progressive” apparently the CM needs to be progressive and that will fix everything by making us an all caring society who treat everyone equally and throw money at people and services to make everything soft and cuddly.

The detail on change can be found in the 'Policy Agenda 2021' of Mr Thomas - I'd call it progressive

Government is there to provide services the population require at a VFM price

• Like 1