Next Chief Minister?

Lost Login

Next Chief Minister  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, asitis said:

We look at every new induction of MHK's with renewed optimism for change, then they vote an old guard in as CM to make sure nothing changes FFS ! Democracy my arse !

As I tried to say to Declan, the only indicator of leadership capability is if the candidate has been a minister. I don't think it's a case of voting in the 'old guard' as neither have been there very long really? There's very little choice if only two stand.

3 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

A new economic strategy for the Island has been commissioned!

Has it? Interesting indeed.

Looking pretty good for undeliverable policy decisions. In engineering parlance 'we design it, you make it... But it can't be manufactured... It's impossible. Well that doesn't matter we designed it, so you make it. Which led to much added cost and interpretation of design.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Max Power said:

As I tried to say to Declan, the only indicator of leadership capability is if the candidate has been a minister

Nonsense. They can get it from their previous roles in life and in Parliament. I give it 2 years before the Cannan administration messes things up. We don't need a large lurch to the right at anytime. No doubt we'll follow the UK down the privitisation of the NHS route. Coincidentally Manx Care is the perfect vehicle for them to do this. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Declan said:

He’s annoyed 2112 so can’t be all bad. 

Actually I think both are as bad. There isn’t a huge calibre of candidate. Allinson was and still is a Minister, same with Alf. Allinson hasn’t talked about cutting back the civil service and living within our means, and Alf despite having a rich political pedigree, will probably fail to do the same. There is only 2 candidates so the damage is done.

Whatever else may happen, I can afford to leave this island. There are many other people who can’t and have family and other ties. They are the ones who’s futures I’m concerned about. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Allinson wants to decriminalise Cannabis. He proposes making it a Class C drug. Sorry totally disagree. What should be done is common sense prevailing in the AGs Chambers and not taking people to court for small value amounts of Cannabis possession. Stupid, and nobody wins, least of all the person going to court.

1 hour ago, SleepyJoe said:

No mention of the words 'voter' or 'green' in the Cannan statement either

Why does Green have to be mentioned? I didn’t vote for the Green Party. I care for issues and I like to think that I do my bit for the environment (where necessary). I’m not a lunatic fanatic though, unlike some. Puritanical zeal bordering on dictatorship tendencies, considering they like to think they are living in a democracy. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Allinson wants to decriminalise Cannabis. He proposes making it a Class C drug. Sorry totally disagree. What should be done is common sense prevailing in the AGs Chambers and not taking people to court for small value amounts of Cannabis possession. Stupid, and nobody wins, least of all the person going to court.

Not taking people to court for small amounts without a change in the law is a policy decision. The AG's Chambers do not write policy. It would need to be a DHA policy for the police not to arrest these people in the first place.

• Like 1

Well we can all play a fantastic game of Bullshit Bingo judging by the 2 manifestos. The real winner was probably the Printers. Nice glossy tomes lots of buzzwords.

Alf wants to create a Housing and Communities Minister. So that will be another government department. Answerable to whom? Developers? Lots of mini empires. I’m sure it will create division as well, you can imagine the hot head left wing types causing problems. The Private Rented Sector could be decimated, but Government will be picking up the pieces.

36 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Whatever else may happen, I can afford to leave this island. There are many other people who can’t and have family and other ties. They are the ones who’s futures I’m concerned about. 

You do come across as a bit of a drama queen.

Its hardly like the Taliban have taken over and you want to leave the country for fear of your life.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You do come across as a bit of a drama queen.

Its hardly like the Taliban have taken over and you want to leave the country for fear of your life.

I didn’t say I feared for my life! I do fear for the future though.

2 shite candidates for the top job. One slightly left wing and the other vying to be left and right, but certainly wants to waste taxpayers money. It remains to be seen if a Quayle/Brown type figure coming along the rail. Rob Callister. If he gets anywhere near the levers of power then we are screwed.

Edited by 2112
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Why does Green have to be mentioned? I didn’t vote for the Green Party. I care for issues and I like to think that I do my bit for the environment (where necessary). I’m not a lunatic fanatic though, unlike some. Puritanical zeal bordering on dictatorship tendencies, considering they like to think they are living in a democracy. 

Allinson at least promises to adopt the higher ambition pathway in his letter to MHKs. This is common sense to many, & probably the preference of the majority of MHKs. This is 'green' policy but It is not puritanical zeal bordering on dictatorship tendencies

If either is the more autocratic it is Cannan, who aspires to be Chief Minster but offers little in the way of policy proposals for the appointee MHKs to judge his candidacy on

What is it that his admirers feel marks him as the man to lead the people of the IOM forward for the next 5 years?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

hasn’t talked about cutting back the civil service and living within our means,

Personally I would like to see the government spend more improving services.

Living within one's means always sounds like a rather depressing prospect. Even domestically. Surely the positive and optimistic response to not having enough money is to make more money. And it's supposed to be spent - that's what keeps the economy moving.

The nicest places tend to be those places where government spends more.

• Like 2