Next Chief Minister?

Lost Login

Next Chief Minister  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, quilp said:

Very funny Roger but the prayer element is suggestive that there is some divine influence also present, adding a particular righteousness to the proceedings. In the eyes of believers it is quintessential that the lord's presence in the ether is qualified by the prayers.

"Guide us, oh lord.."

I take it seriously, it offends me. Freedom from religion, not freedom of religion, the house should be secular.

Besides, which 'god'; whose 'god' are the prayers aimed at? The White christ? Allah? Yahweh, et al?

It's all ceremonial, archaic bollocks and should have no place in the modernising process. 

I don’t believe that anyone thinks the prayer element suggests that divine influence is present or adds a particular righteousness to the proceedings.

Its just a traditional part of the process like wearing funny clothes and wigs etc. I do fail to see how you can be offended by it.

Its all quite benign and having prayers in Tynwald is not going to lead to civil wars, acts of terrorism etc that some associate with religion.

Would you be offended by someone reading the “Fisherman’s prayer” which entreats  God ( whichever God you choose)to keep fisherman safe on the seas, on the basis that fishing is a secular activity?

How many advocates of keeping the house secular will have their children christened, marry in a religious ceremony or have a religious funeral when their time comes?

Certainly in our own society here it is not worth getting wound up about.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Decriminalise it. 

We’re short of money.

Not enough tourists come here

Decriminalise it and put the money saved into tourism and leisure so everyone wins.

I’m not saying I’d like it to happen but, as a business woman, I can see an extremely lucrative money making opportunity.

”Not on my watch”. 

He’s not in charge now. 😊

Well you may not like it to happen but as a businesswoman can you see an extremely lucrative money making opportunity in decriminalizing prostitution?

Make sure tax is paid on it and put the money into tourism and leisure so everyone wins🤗

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well you may not like it to happen but as a businesswoman can you see an extremely lucrative money making opportunity in decriminalizing prostitution?

Make sure tax is paid on it and put the money into tourism and leisure so everyone wins🤗

In my extensive research I have little or no examples of prostitution over here. Apart from around TT time and special events. Girls travelling in to service the need . 😉

Edited by Numbnuts

3 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Nonsense. They can get it from their previous roles in life and in Parliament. I give it 2 years before the Cannan administration messes things up. We don't need a large lurch to the right at anytime. No doubt we'll follow the UK down the privitisation of the NHS route. Coincidentally Manx Care is the perfect vehicle for them to do this. 

Interesting, so who do you think has demonstrated the leadership qualities required to be CM within our current crop of non ministers, and based on what evidence?

7 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

Allinson is talking up rates reform within the first 100 days.

That will upset some of the country dwellers who don't want to pay their fair share towards island life! Excellent. 

Think he might have his hands full with CS in treasury. Not sure if they fancy it as too complicated for them. Needs sorting though.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pongo said:

Personally I would like to see the government spend more improving services.

Living within one's means always sounds like a rather depressing prospect. Even domestically. Surely the positive and optimistic response to not having enough money is to make more money. And it's supposed to be spent - that's what keeps the economy moving.

The nicest places tend to be those places where government spends more.

Isn't this levelling up ?

I'm not sure it matters which of the two gets in (and I don't have a preference at this point), or what NEEDS to be done (and it does need doing).

Either of them are going to have a battle on their hands doing it. And that's not a battle with the GMP.

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Alex is a bright guy. I don’t think we’ve seen the best of him yet.

he wasn't bright enough when it came to expecting laxey   residents to swallow the bullshit he was pedaling on his departments say so.  should have just been honest and said they fucked up.

Edited by WTF
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, WTF said:

he wasn't bright enough when it came to expecting laxey   residents to swallow the bullshit he was pedaling on his departments say so.  should have just been honest and said they fucked up.

I think you have got that the wrong way around. He was the bright one, it was the residents of Laxey that were dim.:whistling: