Next Chief Minister?

Lost Login

Next Chief Minister  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Unlike MHKs both IOM Today & Manx Radio are conducting voter polls on the preferred candidate for CM

Tynwald is ignoring the voter's wishes - given that we pay for all this, it is a disgrace to our democracy

Online polls on news sites that lots of people don’t follow are a very long way away from being representative.

• Thanks 1

Just now, SleepyJoe said:

How would you know if you don't look at them?

I do, but I don’t vote on them.  I am bright enough to know that lots of other people (my kids, my mum, my elderly relatives, most of my friends family and colleagues) don’t.

Don’t fall into the trap of thinking here or the political social media accounts are representative of the whole electorate because they really aren’t.

I am off work this week.  If I wasn’t I wouldn’t have even seen the myself as I would be busy.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Unlike MHKs both IOM Today & Manx Radio are conducting voter polls on the preferred candidate for CM

Tynwald is ignoring the voter's wishes - given that we pay for all this, it is a disgrace to our democracy

It's ignoring your wishes, and those of the other half of the vociferous minority Joe. When there is a newspaper poll that gets 85,000 responses rather than 200 or so, then it may be worth considering.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Max Power said:

It's ignoring your wishes, and those of the other half of the vociferous minority Joe. When there is a newspaper poll that gets 85,000 responses rather than 200 or so, then it may be worth considering.  

Hardly anyone reads newspapers anymore

An official comprehensive online poll - or even a traditional poll - could quite easily be conducted

#ClubTynwald doesn't want it to happen

That is the problem

9 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

They should actively canvas opinion, & if it's 50/50 on an issue they should vote against change until a consensus position is agreed

Building inclusive, vibrant democracies depends on the active engagement of all citizens in public life

Definitely not one of your better silly ideas and a recipe for a very nasty sort of mob rule.

Take this to its logical conclusion and in no time at all bodies will be swinging from lampposts. That's what will make the mob happy.

But even ahead of that it's an argument for economic ruin. People want greater government spending for less money. They want more freedom for themselves but less for everyone else.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, pongo said:

Definitely not one of your better silly ideas and a recipe for a very nasty sort of mob rule.

Take this to its logical conclusion and in no time at all bodies will be swinging from lampposts. That's what will make the mob happy.

But even ahead of that it's an argument for economic ruin. People want greater government spending for less money. They want more freedom for themselves but less for everyone else.

That sounds like IOMNP Facebook, every time a tough decision needs to be made - check the GMP and Focus Groups. I envisage a third candidate entering the fray - my money is on Rob Callister.

The M.H.Ks are voted in by the public and with it goes the Mandate and trust that they will choose the next Chief Minister.   The MHKs that have served previously will have worked with the two contenders and will have formed their own opinions of their strengths and weaknesses.   The newbies will have to go on the manifestos.   A public vote is a no goer.  Every committee gets to vote a Chairman at least in my experience and it makes sense to do it that way.

• Like 1