Next Chief Minister?

Lost Login

Next Chief Minister  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 10/9/2021 at 6:18 PM, Stu Peters said:

Some of us can do more than one thing at once. Even the men...

I promised the voters I'd keep them up to date with important political issues and have invited comments on who shoud be the next CM. I'm not using antisocial media to tell people what I had for breakfast, and will make my own decision on who to vote for in due course, but it's interesting to hear what people think.

Stu, I don’t mean to doubt you, but if neither Allinson or Cannan get 11 votes tomorrow (I think I am correct), an alternative candidate can be nominated - have you given any thought regarding another suitable candidate?

I couldn’t get beyond half way during the MR debate without feelings of nausea, so I called it a day. However, I would be interested in knowing if either of these two are successful, what position (if any) would they give in CoMin to their combatant? I would have liked that question to have been asked personally but I didn’t hear it.

• Like 2

I don’t understand why this is generating so much discussion. Radio interviews. Studio One etc?

Anybody with the slightest bit of intelligence knew than Alf was getting voted back in in September and would be the next Chief minister pretty much the day HQ announced he wasn’t standing again and yet people are still wasting time discussing it? Bizarre 

• Thanks 1

Can't be bothered reading any of the recent comments.

If I was one of the sitting MHKs I'd be looking at how badly Alex Allinson has handled Education. His shambolic appearances at press conferences 'that's a very good question', murmuring and continued failure as an Education Minister even today.

Alf is the man. But as I've commented previously, his historic personal issues may be a concern to those sitting another term.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I think the most important difference between the two candidates (apart from one of them appearing to be bombastic in approach) is that Dr Allison is progressive. He really does want to see parliamentary change. He also has a proven track record in effecting change. Everything on his manifesto for MHK he has delivered on. Has Alf? Mr Cannan is just more of the same old same old. Another Howard Quayle only in black shoes. 

So why was Allinson's vast majority halved in Ramsey and Cannan's increased in his constituency ?  It wasn't just about the Marina from what I understand and both had roughly the same amount of candidates against them.

• Like 1

I think Alf has the presence to represent the Island when he gets to Westminster and elsewhere, I also think he is the most experienced but whatever we think we don’t have a vote so will have to wait and see.   I think the two candidates are the best of the present politicians and Dr Allinson gets chosen it won’t be the end of the world.  Moss is dire as an interviewer I heard him interview Graham Cregeen and it was awful , asking questions but interrupting before he got more than a few words out with another question.

35 minutes ago, interestedman said:

So why was Allinson's vast majority halved in Ramsey and Cannan's increased in his constituency ?  It wasn't just about the Marina from what I understand and both had roughly the same amount of candidates against them.

People seem to (unfairly) have a pick in to him over his dime at DESC.  Not sure what they expect him to have done differently having inherited a teachers dispute, dealt with a pandemic, inheriting the fallout from the Beemans report and having to replace the CEO?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

I wonder if there are enough MHK spines to not vote for either candidate and deny them both the 13 required. Then open it up to wider feild of candidates or will it simply be the lowest number of votes will step down and leave the other unopposed and force the issue?

Does the CM have to be a sitting MHK?

Yes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

I wonder if there are enough MHK spines to not vote for either candidate and deny them both the 13 required. Then open it up to wider feild of candidates or will it simply be the lowest number of votes will step down and leave the other unopposed and force the issue?

Does the CM have to be a sitting MHK?

One suggestion is to do away with a Chief Minister, and instead have a Chief Executive Officer like with a modern council. They are directly paid and run the council. They aren’t elected either.