Next Chief Minister?

Lost Login

Next Chief Minister  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Does the CM have to be a sitting MHK?

No, but they do have to be a member of Tynwald:

The Chief Minister shall be appointed from among the members of Tynwald by the Governor on the nomination of Tynwald.

It's technically a three stage process.

Firstly the Keys have to decide the most favoured candidate of two.  If there are more than two candidates they get eliminated one by one according to who gets the lowest number of votes.  If the final two are tied after two attempts, nominations are reopened, but without the preliminary issuing of manifestos etc.

Secondly the Keys then approves the nomination:

12.3 (b) the Speaker shall put to the House the motion that the Member who was successful in that election be nominated as Chief Minister;

(c) if a division is called for, the motion shall be declared carried if it is supported by no fewer than thirteen Members present and voting.

Again if this doesn't happen there are fresh nominations and the process starts again etc.  If the Speaker reckons there won't be 13 votes for a candidate, they adjourn the process till the next day.  Repeat till there's a result.

Thirdly the nomination is sent the Governor who does the actual appointing.

At least that's what I think the process is meant to be - it's not completely clear that's what the Standing orders say

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

No, but they do have to be a member of Tynwald:

The Chief Minister shall be appointed from among the members of Tynwald by the Governor on the nomination of Tynwald.

It's technically a three stage process.

Firstly the Keys have to decide the most favoured candidate of two.  If there are more than two candidates they get eliminated one by one according to who gets the lowest number of votes.  If the final two are tied after two attempts, nominations are reopened, but without the preliminary issuing of manifestos etc.

Secondly the Keys then approves the nomination:

12.3 (b) the Speaker shall put to the House the motion that the Member who was successful in that election be nominated as Chief Minister;

(c) if a division is called for, the motion shall be declared carried if it is supported by no fewer than thirteen Members present and voting.

Again if this doesn't happen there are fresh nominations and the process starts again etc.  If the Speaker reckons there won't be 13 votes for a candidate, they adjourn the process till the next day.  Repeat till there's a result.

Thirdly the nomination is sent the Governor who does the actual appointing.

At least that's what I think the process is meant to be - it's not completely clear that's what the Standing orders say

This was changed in 2018 (below is from legislation.gov.im):

"2 Appointment and tenure of office of Chief Minister

(1) The Chief Minister shall be appointed by the Governor on the nomination of and from among the members of the House of Keys."

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

This was changed in 2018 (below is from legislation.gov.im):

"2 Appointment and tenure of office of Chief Minister

(1) The Chief Minister shall be appointed by the Governor on the nomination of and from among the members of the House of Keys."

I should have checked directly - the latest version is here.  Google has this habit of throwing up the oldest version of legislation, I think it's the way the legislation website names them and there's nothing in the text to say that it is superseded.  The rest of the stuff is from the Tynwald SO link directly so it should be right, though I'm not sure the procedure for ties is as tight as they think it is.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, asitis said:

They seem to forget strangely that they were intimate parts of the last 5 years fiasco but never felt strongly enough to say anything !

CT or JPW.

Apart from the prom, the last 5 years have been relatively ok. The economy has done ok.

Can't blame the IOM govt for the mess that is Brexit or for the global pandemic.

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2021 at 6:18 PM, Stu Peters said:

I promised the voters I'd keep them up to date with important political issues and have invited comments on who shoud be the next CM. I'm not using antisocial media to tell people what I had for breakfast, and will make my own decision on who to vote for in due course, but it's interesting to hear what people think.

How and where are you doing this as I have found nothing obvious from a quick google search?

5 minutes ago, pongo said:

Apart from the prom, the last 5 years have been relatively ok. The economy has done ok.

Can't blame the IOM govt for the mess that is Brexit or for the global pandemic.

Can we blame them for the no. existent mental health provisions?

Would you like a longer list?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Boris Johnson said:

Could it?

Really?

Go on then please give examples with working out.

Both of them are bright with a solid professional background and could clearly be earning more outside of local politics.

Whilst that probably shouldn't be a prerequisite for even becoming an MHK, it probably should be the norm. Currently it puts them well ahead of many others.

• Like 1

Dr Allinson is a megalomaniac. 

I don't think there are many in the House of Keys who will stand too long under such a style of 'leadership'.

He lost a landslide of votes at the polls. I would expect the same sort of reaction at the CM vote.

• Haha 2