Next Chief Minister?

Lost Login

Next Chief Minister  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Will Halsall said:

The fact that HQ had four ministers that were emptied last night, shows me he was completely out of touch with public sentiment. 

And there was quite a swing towards the Manx Labour Party, 3 newbies and they are 3 women at that. Cretter's column in the newspaper can't take all the credit for that. There's more reasons, (yes, yes, yes, they were jolly good candidates but there is more to it than that too)

Edited by Barlow

14 minutes ago, Barlow said:

And there was quite a swing towards the Manx Labour Party, 3 newbies and they are 3 women at that. Cretter's column in the newspaper can't take all the credit for that. There's more reasons, (yes, yes, yes, they were jolly good candidates but there is more to it than that too)

Cant say I disagree but interested to hear your take on why ?? 

21 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Cant say I disagree but interested to hear your take on why ?? 

Well it's early days, but:

Going by past performance, I didn't expect the Labour Party to do so well.

So why has there been a swing to the left - Quayle's Government perhaps? The CM has huge influence, no matter what anybody says, and the Government have been veering right. Is this a reaction that enough is enough?

And why has there been a swing towards women. Yes, irrespective of gender, some very good candidates, but is there more to it than that? It has become more apparent that women have not been treated as equal in past governments and now that realisation has hit home?

As I say, it will take a while for these results to sink in, but there has been a huge change.

Regarding gender, last night Tony Brown (former CM) was bleating that there were plenty of woman in Tynwald in the 70s and 80s, in reply to Manx Radio's Beth Espey's remarks on the amount of successful female candidates. In all the 5 elections during the 70s and 80s, there were about half the amount of woman elected than there were last night. It was a Tony Brown whoosh! moment - he should have just stfu instead of mistakenly defending something by raking up his own misjudgment.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Barlow said:

And why has there been a swing towards women. Yes, irrespective of gender, some very good candidates, but is there more to it than that? It has become more apparent that women have not been treated as equal in past governments and now that realisation has hit home?

I have my suspicions that the treatment of Rachel Glover meted out by both DA and HQ and the seeming tacit agreement of said treatment within CoMin was a tipping point for many, both men and women.

It was high time women had more representation in government to counteract this old-boys blinkered thinking which sidelines women who are more intelligent, talented and capable than the men "in charge".

Maybe now we can begin to see some progress over the next five years, where women are permitted to shine and take credit for their accomplishments without being constantly labelled as bitchy, pushy, loudmouthed etc.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, cissolt said:

Can I ask why you think he would make a good chief minister?  He's a glorified commissioner and has contributed zero in his many many departments.  

Children's champion?  Failed to produce a report

Promenade committee? Failed

DOI - failed to understand how the proposed car tax rise works?

O come on it would be brilliant😂

Just now, ellanvannin2010 said:

O come on it would be brilliant😂

We have had enough comedy turns running the show.  We need an intelligent, articulate and self-assured CM.  You know, one who can blend in with the big boys without looking like he's won a draw to meet their silver screen idol. 

• Haha 5

28 minutes ago, Zarley said:

Maybe now we can begin to see some progress over the next five years, where women are permitted to shine and take credit for their accomplishments without being constantly labelled as bitchy, pushy, loudmouthed etc.  

I have met plenty of awful women in the government employ. Men too of course.

But regarding MHKs, over the past 25 years I have been well impressed with the women who have represented the constituency, not so the men, not so at all. They were boys club up to the hilt, and after election cared not a jot other than themselves and their pals.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Perhaps the first thing COMIN should do is replace the Chief Secretary and a couple of Department Execs with women?

it was a woman chief secretary for 9 years before greenwho took over and things were just as shit then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, Barlow said:

I have met plenty of awful women in the government employ. Men too of course.

But regarding MHKs, over the past 25 years I have been well impressed with the women who have represented the constituency, not so the men, not so at all. They were boys club up to the hilt, and after election cared not a jot other than themselves and their pals.

I've met women in government - and other positions of power/authority/"leadership" - who were awful as well. Who hasn't? 

In my experience*, the awful women usually got to where they were by emulating the awful men who elbowed and bullied their way to power. It was often the only way they (the women) could obtain and retain the position. Priti Patel springs to mind, amongst others.

Also in my experience*, organisations that have more or equal amounts of women to men in positions of authority, you tend to get fewer awful women. I reckon if they have fewer men looking down on them, in every sense, they don't feel the same pressure to act just like the men. I also find the men in such organisations tend to be less awful as well. 

*In my experience. Your mileage may vary. 

I had high hopes for a sensible and measured House five years ago.

Then they voted for Quayle, and I wrote just one thing in my diary that morning; 

“Bugger”

selecting someone like JPW would be a seismic shift - a huge move forward and avote for change. With ten women in the house, I’d hope that there’s at least a good hope something remarkable will happen.

good luck.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1