Next Chief Minister?

Lost Login

Next Chief Minister  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

33 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

There are eight Ministers required but in reality at least two departments, possibly more, can be filled by MHK's whose only quality is loyalty to the CM. i.e. Home Affairs and Food & AG

Treasury, Health, DOI and Education require a strong hand and a bit of knowledge and ability but Enterprise and Policy & Reform are probably departments that are effective with somebody decent in charge, but if they don't would bumble along in offensively. 

That really only needs the CM looking for 6 MHKs with the ability to run a department but could get away with 4 with the other 4 just yes persons. Or am I being harsh?

Good summary. I think the Enterprise role is very important and with someone strong and outward looking in place they could actually have a really strong impact. 

7 minutes ago, 747-400 said:

Good summary. I think the Enterprise role is very important and with someone strong and outward looking in place they could actually have a really strong impact. 

It maybe important but I don't have your confidence that it will have a strong impact. Isle of Finance which is meant to be out there trying to attract work to the Isle of Man has a couple of guys with a few support staff. https://www.financeisleofman.com/about/meet-the-team-2/  Jersey through a load more bodies at it https://www.jerseyfinance.je/our-team/team/ and a very much larger budget.

One is tinkering around the edges hoping they get lucky, one is out there to get work. No need to guess which of those 2 the IoM is. 

Effectively Jersey Government goes out there and tries to bring business back to Jersey. The IoM relies on the private sector. Basically the IoM is completely outgunned and whilst that remains so don't expect great results.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Unless Chris Thomas is interested in a new economic development department and is willing to work with Cannan

I am sure he would work with Cannan as long as CT gets the headlines when there is good news and any bad news gets attributed to Cannan.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

DA will I am sure get up to speed on fiscal and finance matters in no time at all, I am sure.  Pity all his medical knowledge will go to waste. 🤦‍♂️

Baby steps... but yes no doubt he will be a financial genius within months, shredding £50 notes for fun.

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, CallMeCurious said:

How quickly do you think the new CM will announce NI rises because of 'reasons'?

Almost as quickly he shoved up sewage tax last time.

It'll only be for the middle earners. Alf will make sure the HNWIs are OK. He'll keep cuddled up to Manx Gas instead of making them stop ripping us off.

Edited by Ringy Rose

2 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

Why outsource stuff to KPMG when there is the capable Chris Thomas sitting there in the House of Keys?

Chris is an academic  , but has no real business experience  or acumen   to add to that the previous minister  has left the department looking like a stranded beached whale ,void of experienced entrepreneurial  staff , there needs to be a root and branch review of the department of Enterprise , as in its present form  its not pulling its weight ,right across the spectrum , Tourism is a shadow of its former self ,and Banking ,corporate services are fading away , and in spite of this Aircraft registry and shipping  are continuing to show significant growth , but that because they are now technically  ring fenced from the department  and they have excellent  dedicated staff  ,

Chris will probably want to sit in judgement on all the scrutiny committees with Mr Squeeker ,

after all its the same pay now weather you are  working hard in a department or a back bencher ,which I could never understand , we live in strange times !

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Omobono said:

Chris is an academic  , but has no real business experience  or acumen   to add to that the previous minister  has left the department looking like a stranded beached whale ,void of experienced entrepreneurial  staff , there needs to be a root and branch review of the department of Enterprise , as in its present form  its not pulling its weight ,right across the spectrum , Tourism is a shadow of its former self ,and Banking ,corporate services are fading away , and in spite of this Aircraft registry and shipping  are continuing to show significant growth , but that because they are now technically  ring fenced from the department  and they have excellent  dedicated staff  ,

Chris will probably want to sit in judgement on all the scrutiny committees with Mr Squeeker ,

after all its the same pay now weather you are  working hard in a department or a back bencher ,which I could never understand , we live in strange times !

Mr Thomas is surely a professionally qualified financial analyst? He'd be wasted on scrutiny committees when active development of our economy is required

However, he is content to play a part from the back benches

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/wannenburgh-explains-refusal-to-vote-in-cm-election/

Edited by SleepyJoe
  • Haha 1