Next Chief Minister?

Lost Login

Next Chief Minister  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Unfortunately, our current political system encourages ‘JFK’ in reverse i.e. ask not what you (MHKs) can do for this Island, but ask what this Island can do for you and your family.

ETA - I am not talking about anyone in particular, it applies to all of them, IMHO.

Edited by code99
  • Sad 1

What are the odds on a current Department being turned into an arms length management organisation and have its staff transferred to them.

I would go for the DOI or the DoE. (called Manx Tourism or Manx Construction). 

And CT to oversee it. 

No-one imagined (or mentioned) at the start of the last administration they would do it to the DHSC but it has set the pattern now. Where next ?

53 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Mr Thomas is surely a professionally qualified financial analyst? He'd be wasted on scrutiny committees when active development of our economy is required

However, he is content to play a part from the back benches

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/wannenburgh-explains-refusal-to-vote-in-cm-election/

It occurred to me that as a newcomer, if Mr Wannenburgh seeks and aspires to "fresh thinking"; he might just have got himself elected to the wrong Parliament.

However, let's see what Alf's reign brings.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Screenshot_20211013-074447_Chrome.jpg

“Today I spoilt my vote in the House of Keys. I did so because the only choice available was between two members who were part of Comin at the close of the last administration, and as such, I did not believe they would bring the fresh thinking required to take the island forward.

Which translates to he wanted Chris Thomas as Chief Minister.

11 minutes ago, Barlow said:

“Today I spoilt my vote in the House of Keys. I did so because the only choice available was between two members who were part of Comin at the close of the last administration, and as such, I did not believe they would bring the fresh thinking required to take the island forward.

Which translates to he wanted Chris Thomas as Chief Minister.

Wannaburgh could have put CT forward to be CM - why didn’t he? Would CT have had the support if he was nominated? I can understand his view that he wanted a debate prior to the election, in the chamber - presumably the thinking being, it was recorded in Hansard. If debated and a newly elected CM doesn’t act by their manifesto commitments, could it be used as a form of blackmail? Evidence from a debate?

17 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

How do you arrive at that conclusion? Thomas was also part of Comin in the last administration. He only got sacked in the April after 4 years in Cabinet Office. 

Yes, very well spotted.

Wannenburgh did specify: "...part of Comin at the close of the last administration"

14 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Wannaburgh could have put CT forward to be CM - why didn’t he? Would CT have had the support if he was nominated?

I don't think he would have had the support against Cannan and Allinson. The second round, as with Tony Brown, is a different matter.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 9:29 PM, offshoremanxman said:
On 10/11/2021 at 9:16 PM, Barlow said:

He lost a landslide of votes at the polls. I would expect the same sort of reaction at the CM vote.

It’s not going to happen. He lost votes largely over the Ramsey Marina which is a complete non issue. 

It happened.

Edited by Barlow

21 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Wannaburgh could have put CT forward to be CM - why didn’t he? Would CT have had the support if he was nominated? I can understand his view that he wanted a debate prior to the election, in the chamber - presumably the thinking being, it was recorded in Hansard. If debated and a newly elected CM doesn’t act by their manifesto commitments, could it be used as a form of blackmail? Evidence from a debate?

Wan’t there sonething on Monday evening for MHKs. JW chaired it. 

11 minutes ago, 747-400 said:

Wan’t there sonething on Monday evening for MHKs. JW chaired it. 

There were lots of hustings open to the public, radio debates etc. This wasn’t sufficient for CT, he wanted the 2 candidates to present statements to the Keys, then an opportunity for debate prior to the vote. I think by now the GMP are throughly fucked off with hearing about it. I just want them to get on with things, let’s stop the navel gazing. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 2112 said:

There were lots of hustings open to the public, radio debates etc. This wasn’t sufficient for CT, he wanted the 2 candidates to present statements to the Keys, then an opportunity for debate prior to the vote. I think by now the GMP are throughly fucked off with hearing about it. I just want them to get on with things, let’s stop the navel gazing. 

Agree with what you say and I thought the Monday evening husting should have been enough for CT. Changes have been made this time, driven by CT himself I think. 

13 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

but the whole vote and the way the options were presented in hindsight feels like a fix. 

How do you mean?

Agree more than two candidates would have been better, but if noone was willing to stand or could get a nomination/seconder….

I think both of the candidates would have been ok, my preference for Alf was I think he has more experience .  The choice of two candidates was far better than the previous circus performances that went on for ever.   Thomas could have gone for it if he had  received support but preferred to just try and stir things up.   The two women who resemble dumb and dumber are either out of their depth or have a puppeteer working them now they have stated they will work with the Government…how very noble of them.   As for Wannaburgh I think he has disappointed a lot of people already in very short time.   I wish the new Government all the best for the next five years I have a horrible feeling it is not going to be an easy term.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I think both of the candidates would have been ok, my preference for Alf was I think he has more experience .  The choice of two candidates was far better than the previous circus performances that went on for ever.   Thomas could have gone for it if he had  received support but preferred to just try and stir things up.   The two women who resemble dumb and dumber are either out of their depth or have a puppeteer working them now they have stated they will work with the Government…how very noble of them.   As for Wannaburgh I think he has disappointed a lot of people already in very short time.   I wish the new Government all the best for the next five years I have a horrible feeling it is not going to be an easy term.

No, it's not, but Wannenburgh hasn't disappointed.  A no vote or spoilt paper is perfectly acceptable if you don't support either candidate.  What else would he do? 

Has he done much else to disappoint in this short time? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1