Next Chief Minister?

Lost Login

Next Chief Minister  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

50 minutes ago, Gladys said:

No, it's not, but Wannenburgh hasn't disappointed.  A no vote or spoilt paper is perfectly acceptable if you don't support either candidate.  What else would he do? 

Has he done much else to disappoint in this short time? 

If Juan or Michelle had drawn a naughty genitalia image and spoilt the paper, I would have been disappointed (amused though), as they represent Rushen/PSM/PE, not themselves. I wonder if Wannenburgh was considering his constituents or just being a twat? Granted, he could use the old argument that the electorate voted him in to make the decision on their behalf. 

Stu (wasn’t keen but starting to like the chubby little Mancunian) on the other hand asked his constituency for their thoughts and voted for Alf. I like that attitude, and I am starting to like Stu.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Will Halsall said:

Stu (wasn’t keen but starting to like the chubby little Mancunian) on the other hand asked his constituency for their thoughts and voted for Alf. I like that attitude, and I am starting to like Stu.

Who would have thought that an MHK listening to their constituents would be popular?! 

Unlike that idiot Baker who talked down to the GMP. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Will Halsall said:

If Juan or Michelle had drawn a naughty genitalia image and spoilt the paper, I would have been disappointed (amused though), as they represent Rushen/PSM/PE, not themselves. I wonder if Wannenburgh was considering his constituents or just being a twat? Granted, he could use the old argument that the electorate voted him in to make the decision on their behalf. 

Stu (wasn’t keen but starting to like the chubby little Mancunian) on the other hand asked his constituency for their thoughts and voted for Alf. I like that attitude, and I am starting to like St

If the poll at the head of this topic is at all representative of the GMP, then he would probably be representing a fair few people ! I'll reserve judgement but I never like nodding dogs, we've had too many of them !

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, asitis said:

He's a sharp guy and not a company man or nodding dog ! All very promising traits IMO.

A short IoM Political career beckons then... 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

Who would have thought that an MHK listening to their constituents would be popular?! 

Unlike that idiot Baker who talked down to the GMP. 

Listening is good but if an MHK is simply going to follow what a small vocal minority want, some or many of whom may not even be from the constituency, then we might as well cut out the middleman and have the public vote  on each policy and save a few quid.

I eventually found SP's facebook page, or at least one of them and there are probably 10 or so comments on a preference on who should be chief minister and several of those are from people who admit to not being in the constituency. I appreciate that SP could have received a considerable number of private responses or by e-mail as well.

What I would say it has to be a two way dialogue. SP and the others had both candidates making presentations to them and SP sates "I'm waiting to hear what Alex and Alf have to say before deciding", He then asks for peoples opinions and comments. He then also says "so far it's been a clear majority for Alf Cannan, but I'll wait until both have spoken to us next week before deciding. Both candidates make good points and have apparent strengths and weaknesses, and I'd be happy to work with either of them, so it won't be an easy decision." 

I cannot see any post setting out the policy ideas etc for each or what they learnt from the meetings and presentations. What they believe the strength and weaknesses of the individuals or the arguments are. Without that it is hard to make  a meaningful feed back as for all I know one candidate might be in favour of the IoM becoming part of England the other for subsidising beer. There is a reason that MHKs are paid to make decisions rather than just follow and that is unlike the rest of us they will have and should have read all the paperwork, back up and briefing documents, been to presentations, been able to ask questions etc. They should therefore have far more information than the rest of us do on which to base a decision.

Again, I agree listening is good but MHK's should be making decisions on what they believe is best for the IoM not simply because it is popular.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Will Halsall said:

I wonder if Wannenburgh was considering his constituents or just being a twat? Granted, he could use the old argument that the electorate voted him in to make the decision on their behalf. 

It's an illustration, but a week is a long time in politics. Once they swear that oath the constituents can fuck off. Well for 5 years they can, anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hissingsid said:

I wish the new Government all the best for the next five years I have a horrible feeling it is not going to be an easy term.

I totally agree. After the previous elections  there was a bit of optimism re the Keys. There were a fair few new members and there was certainly initially much more openness and a feeling of collectiveness than there had been under Bell. I remember MHK's commenting at the time how the change in attitude was refreshing with Government prepared to discuss etc. I appreciate that it may not have lasted and many, on here were unhappy HQ, became CM. In reality it was always going to be a choice of HQ and AC and I think AC was disadvantaged as I don't think he had ever been a minister.

Whilst it was not all sweetness and light the vibes certainly seemed more positive than this time when numerous candidates set there stalls out as wanting to be backbench MHK's who act as opposition to the Government even though at the time they had no idea who the Government would be or what its programmes and policies were. They seemed to be fighting the election to be elected as the opposition to the Government that was just ending. Maybe my memory is failing me as I do not remember previously a whole raft of MHKs setting out their role to be the opposition and to scrutinise Government. Generally the new ones come it wanting to see and effect change by contributing positively, although they may soon be be abused of this notion, but that does not seem the case for many this time. 

Wannenburgh, and others, seem to still want to fight old battles. Time has moved on and what is important now are the policies and direction that the new CM and new Government bring to the table or not. It may be same old but I am interested to see what the make up of the Government will and what their programme and priorities are going forward. Then we may be in a position to better judge.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Will Halsall said:

I wonder if Wannenburgh was considering his constituents or just being a twat? 

No idea but I would prefer it was his brother who had stood and got elected. One qualified as a lawyer and advocate and was a partner in an IoM law firm. The other is a sales and marketing guy!

• Like 1

It really matters not though.

If Alf on Monday declared independence and we welcome dodgy money, nothing will change.

He is more likely to declare a tightening of department budgets across the board and no big vanity projects like the prom, again nothing will change.

If Bus Vannin want a new fleet of buses or the DOI want to install flood prevention on the Snaefell mountain railway it will happen because the CS are in charge.

As the Mandalorian says, "This is the Way" on the IOM............................... 🙂 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

I totally agree. After the previous elections  there was a bit of optimism re the Keys. There were a fair few new members and there was certainly initially much more openness and a feeling of collectiveness than there had been under Bell. I remember MHK's commenting at the time how the change in attitude was refreshing with Government prepared to discuss etc. I appreciate that it may not have lasted and many, on here were unhappy HQ, became CM. In reality it was always going to be a choice of HQ and AC and I think AC was disadvantaged as I don't think he had ever been a minister.

Whilst it was not all sweetness and light the vibes certainly seemed more positive than this time when numerous candidates set there stalls out as wanting to be backbench MHK's who act as opposition to the Government even though at the time they had no idea who the Government would be or what its programmes and policies were. They seemed to be fighting the election to be elected as the opposition to the Government that was just ending. Maybe my memory is failing me as I do not remember previously a whole raft of MHKs setting out their role to be the opposition and to scrutinise Government. Generally the new ones come it wanting to see and effect change by contributing positively, although they may soon be be abused of this notion, but that does not seem the case for many this time. 

Wannenburgh, and others, seem to still want to fight old battles. Time has moved on and what is important now are the policies and direction that the new CM and new Government bring to the table or not. It may be same old but I am interested to see what the make up of the Government will and what their programme and priorities are going forward. Then we may be in a position to better judge.   

No one has any idea now what the the polices and programmes of the new government are to be - an utterly absurd situation at the fag end of a general election process

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

T

1 hour ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

That's one of the positives for electing a party. 

This is true but unlikely to ever happen here. So we have what we have. So we’ve had an election and a chief minister has been appointed and the electorate have no clue as to what to expect. Well more of the same for 5 years I expect. What needs to be done is to trim big government departments and increase taxes ( if people want proper services ). My guess is taxes will go up as will government headcount and the tax increases will be used to fund that. For example I don’t see the passenger locator forms going away as it increases gov control and of course head count to administer it. And the cops / gov get to follow / control the general population for no other reason than they can and like it.

This may be interesting, with half a House of new enterants and some old favourites will Cannan favour the newbies and their modernising ways or stick to the old favourites???

Even Crookall, once rejected and now forgiven,  do'es that make him a 'shoe in' ? or does he he need a term to prove hissself to the voters?

I think we may find that he does not!!!

11 hours ago, 747-400 said:

Agree with what you say and I thought the Monday evening husting should have been enough for CT. Changes have been made this time, driven by CT himself I think. 

As much as I like CT and have chatted to him on many occasions, he is irritating me with this positively child like behaviour. He sounds like he isn’t getting his own way, so stamps his feet in fit of pique.

Perhaps, for him, if he would be appointed Chair of OFT. This will do two things, make him buck up his ideas and pull his fingers out and deal with the issues (Manx Gas). Will hopefully give him a role to redeem himself, if he screws up then like Quirkio and Perkins before, it will be Cherio, Cherio, Cherio, Cherio, Cheeerio.

• Haha 1