Next Chief Minister?

Lost Login

Next Chief Minister  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I had high hopes for a sensible and measured House five years ago.

Then they voted for Quayle, and I wrote just one thing in my diary that morning; 

“Bugger”

selecting someone like JPW would be a seismic shift - a huge move forward and avote for change. With ten women in the house, I’d hope that there’s at least a good hope something remarkable will happen.

good luck.

I really do too Derek, the island is on a very bad downward spiral at the moment. 

It needs sorting ASAP which means a lot of hard to stomach policy's and a high level of intelligence to work out those policy's required. 

There is a lot of intelligence  in the CS but they are conflicted, not going to put themselves out of work.

JPW could be our Maggie T and sort out the public sector/ CS? 

Someone has to and a female is the best to do something like that IMHO

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

I really do too Derek, the island is on a very bad downward spiral at the moment. 

It needs sorting ASAP which means a lot of hard to stomach policy's and a high level of intelligence to work out those policy's required. 

There is a lot of intelligence  in the CS but they are conflicted, not going to put themselves out of work.

JPW could be our Maggie T and sort out the public sector/ CS? 

Someone has to and a female is the best to do something like that IMHO

Lots of the females , particularly those MLC's have shown themselves to be tough cookies . Add Christian to the mix and hopefully great things to come.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I had high hopes for a sensible and measured House five years ago.

Then they voted for Quayle, and I wrote just one thing in my diary that morning; 

“Bugger”

Really?

Not sure you could compete for sales with Tony Benn’s  diaries should you decide to publish.

• Haha 1

Women generally are great. Yes there's some exceptions but generally are more conscientious , harder working and always make sure the seat is left down ! Lightening the mood ! Generally ,for me, far more fun to have a meal or a drink with too. Stronger in so many ways so I really hope a woman gets CM ,and also a few get ministerial roles. Good luck to all the new MHK's and especially the women as its about time they had their chance to shine. And i'm confident most will. Phewwww now everyone knows I'm a male lol 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

Everyone is getting so excited by all the new women MHKs that it's worth pointing out that the majority of new MHKs elected last night were men.  While Glover, Peters and Wanneburgh may make all the right noises I can't help feeling they will all slot in very nicely, though I'd be delighted to be proved wrong.  Crookall may be a changed man, we'll see, but Smith seems pretty Establishment and if the Chairman of the MFU isn't, then who is?  Of course many of the new women may be similarly inclined.

We’d have nothing to lose if JPW became Chief M. I’ve always thought it’ll be Cannan or Allinson but both have just drifted through last five years, so do we really want that same mindset I think not. Let’s hope the election of quite a few clearly bright independent women can shake up the establishment or at least become a thorn in side of the old boys club if it try’s to carry on business as usual. Still think Alf will get it with Watty the dark horse, he might have enough support from newbies though.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

We’d have nothing to lose if JPW became Chief M. I’ve always thought it’ll be Cannan or Allinson but both have just drifted through last five years, so do we really want that same mindset I think not. Let’s hope the election of quite a few clearly bright independent women can shake up the establishment or at least become a thorn in side of the old boys club if it try’s to carry on business as usual. Still think Alf will get it with Watty the dark horse, he might have enough support from newbies though.

I'm going to have a word with my MHK's about this. I suggest everyone else does. Cannan needs to be kept far away from Chief Minister's role. Watterson is obviously very unpopular and is unlikely to get it. 

JPW needs to be on the ballot in the first round not as a compromise candidate. Otherwise we'll just end up with another middle aged white guy and nothing will ever change.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

If it has to be one of the usual suspects then I would plump for Allinson but if it were up to me then JPW would be the one to go for.

Gender really shouldn’t be that important, it should be the best person for the role but it’s been the old boys club for so long that it needs a good shake up. 

A female CM would also help encourage other women into politics, long overdue I think.

Edited by Annoymouse
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1