Next Chief Minister?

Lost Login

Next Chief Minister  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 minutes ago, Kopek said:

This may be interesting, with half a House of new enterants and some old favourites will Cannan favour the newbies and their modernising ways or stick to the old favourites???

Even Crookall, once rejected and now forgiven,  do'es that make him a 'shoe in' ? or does he he need a term to prove hissself to the voters?

I think we may find that he does not!!!

Can Crookall do any worse of a bad job? Based on the benchmark of the last lot, he can only improve,

11 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

No one has any idea now what the the polices and programmes of the new government are to be - an utterly absurd situation at the fag end of a general election process

Surely the MHKs do as presumably they based their vote for the CM, in part, on what the two candidates set out as being their priorities in terms of polices and the programme of Government.

My point was it is all very well MHKs saying they consulted with constituents as to whom to vote for in terms of CM but unless those MHKs are telling their constituents at the same the proposals the candidates are putting forward then our views as constituents are pretty meaningless as we have no idea what the candidates are proposing

7 hours ago, 2112 said:

As much as I like CT and have chatted to him on many occasions, he is irritating me with this positively child like behaviour. He sounds like he isn’t getting his own way, so stamps his feet in fit of pique.

Perhaps, for him, if he would be appointed Chair of OFT. This will do two things, make him buck up his ideas and pull his fingers out and deal with the issues (Manx Gas). Will hopefully give him a role to redeem himself, if he screws up then like Quirkio and Perkins before, it will be Cherio, Cherio, Cherio, Cherio, Cheeerio.

Possibly having also to sit on the rear bench in HoK Chamber and not getting enough support to stand for CM (if that was his intention).

Hope he snaps out of his sulk as we need all politicians contributing at this time and no sitting on their backsides for 5 years ”holding the Government to account”. It does not need to be one or the other.

3 hours ago, 747-400 said:

Possibly having also to sit on the rear bench in HoK Chamber and not getting enough support to stand for CM (if that was his intention).

Hope he snaps out of his sulk as we need all politicians contributing at this time and no sitting on their backsides for 5 years ”holding the Government to account”. It does not need to be one or the other.

Politicians are there to hold government to account - it was the very role of the House of Keys when the Governor ruled the roost

This one Keys, one Government idea is for the birds

Edited by SleepyJoe
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Politicians are there to hold government account - it was the very role of the House of Keys when the Governor ruled the roost

What did they do the rest of the week?

Probably had other jobs.

Now it is paid to be full time. I expect my representatives to be more constructive. Any fool can hold the Government to account. 

1 hour ago, SleepyJoe said:

Politicians are there to hold government to account 

I thought the role of a politician was to represent their constituents together with making the laws and rules by which society is governed and to try and make society a better place. 

That might mean ensuring that the Government enact policies and behave in a way that the politician believes is in the best interest of the people the politician represents but too often it simply appears to mean as acting as a government opposition. Holding Government to account surely also means supporting and assisting the Government enact policies which that politician believes are beneficial.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

All members can introduce policy to Tynwald whether they are in government or not

No sh1t Sherlock? Yes they can but if you can get policy to be part of the Government's policies and it is coherent with other policies it is more likely to get approved. Generally it is government policies that are presented and approved or where such policy is adopted and supported by Govt. I think that Allinson's abortion reform legislation was a policy he introduced as a back bencher but it was heavily supported by Government.

The point was that generally you are likely to get more done and have more influence as part of Government than being outside it. 

• Like 1