Next Chief Minister?

Lost Login

Next Chief Minister  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

No sh1t Sherlock? Yes they can but if you can get policy to be part of the Government's policies and it is coherent with other policies it is more likely to get approved. Generally it is government policies that are presented and approved or where such policy is adopted and supported by Govt. I think that Allinson's abortion reform legislation was a policy he introduced as a back bencher but it was heavily supported by Government.

The point was that generally you are likely to get more done and have more influence as part of Government than being outside it. 

If only we got to elect the government

5 hours ago, Declan said:

Let’s raise the bar a little higher. 

The bar was broken when the public elected the likes of Cregeen, Baker, Boot and Harmer all led by Quayle. Things can’t get any worse, it can only get better - no D.REAM!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, 747-400 said:

More effective to be ”in” like a Deparmental member I would say, than sitting outside. 

Then you may see the problems first hand and have a better chance of improving things. 

Do you think the past decade has proved that?  How much power to change things have Departmental Members actually shown over that time?  At best they seem to be just repeating whatever the thinking among the civil servants in the Department was. In that their main function has been to illustrate how ill-informed and incompetent many of those civil servants are.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Do you think the past decade has proved that?  How much power to change things have Departmental Members actually shown over that time?  At best they seem to be just repeating whatever the thinking among the civil servants in the Department was. In that their main function has been to illustrate how ill-informed and incompetent many of those civil servants are.

Yes, I do. I believe they do have an impact, though it comes down to the individual. I know of cases. 

But we obviously not here about these. And change is often managed quietly. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I expect it depends who you are. The policies and programme of Government will, I expect, have been drawn up by all the ministers with various pieces of horse trading. It will not simply be a case of whoever is CM simply down his wish list.

Last time out I expect AC wanted certain things from HQ in return for being Treasury minister. Possibly CT and also certain other individuals. AC would have been in a strong position to negotiate with HQ. The likes of Malarky less so.

I don't think there have been any ministerial appointments as yet and I would expect that some of those that AC wishes to have as ministers will be able to influence direction and policy. We just won't know about it.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

At which point since its inception did the Ministerial system take the turn to get us where we are? When Miles Walker brought it in in '86(?) it was going to be the cure for all past Governmental woes?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

I expect it depends who you are. The policies and programme of Government will, I expect, have been drawn up by all the ministers with various pieces of horse trading. It will not simply be a case of whoever is CM simply down his wish list.

Last time out I expect AC wanted certain things from HQ in return for being Treasury minister. Possibly CT and also certain other individuals. AC would have been in a strong position to negotiate with HQ. The likes of Malarky less so.

I don't think there have been any ministerial appointments as yet and I would expect that some of those that AC wishes to have as ministers will be able to influence direction and policy. We just won't know about it.

Maybe, though I'm not sure what Cannan did get.  Poor financial governance just continued on in the old way - maybe that's what he wanted.  As for Thomas we know that the assurances he got proved to be useless - he was sacked for exercising them.

Of course one thing that we don't know is what promises Cannan has made for votes (including promising positions) and whether he will be able to fulfil them.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Maybe, though I'm not sure what Cannan did get.  Poor financial governance just continued on in the old way - maybe that's what he wanted.  As for Thomas we know that the assurances he got proved to be useless - he was sacked for exercising them.

Of course one thing that we don't know is what promises Cannan has made for votes (including promising positions) and whether he will be able to fulfil them.

Clare Barber said in her proposal speach that it was a clean campaign and no horse trading had gone on with offers….

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, 747-400 said:

Clare Barber said in her proposal speach that it was a clean campaign and no horse trading had gone on with offers….

I am sure that probably was the case when it came to voting. With regard to putting together a Government I expect it is a different matter. Each will want some input if they are going to be a Minister

• Like 2