Next Chief Minister?

Lost Login

Next Chief Minister  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

How did you get to vote the government in when I did not? 

I've still yet to see a single policy proposal and the general election process is over

In part I agree, once CM appoints his COMIN and memberlings it can be said that Government is up and running. I think it’s crackers that 48+ since AC coronation we haven’t had any indication of who is running the statutory bodies, committees, members and COMIN. Maybe AC is having difficulty filling his posts? Surely the positions will be filled by next Tuesday with enough time to prepare for Tynpotwald next Week. Rob Callister always makes a song and dance of going through the order sheet and preparation. 

• Like 1

Just now, Zarley said:

I was just thinking earlier that if he doesn't announce his ministers etc by tomorrow (Friday) morning, then perhaps people aren't as willing/happy to work with him as claimed. 

Meant to add... I would have thought he already had his ministers lined up in his head before the CM election took place. It doesn't normally take this long, does it?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Zarley said:

I was just thinking earlier that if he doesn't announce his ministers etc by tomorrow (Friday) morning, then perhaps people aren't as willing/happy to work with him as claimed. 

Could be a good sign? They are not prepared to be walked over and putting forward their own vision for the department (and Government). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 747-400 said:

Clare Barber said in her proposal speach that it was a clean campaign and no horse trading had gone on with offers….

According to Tony Brown and Allan Bell when on Manx Radio Agenda programme, the "horse trading" thing is a myth, dreamed up by David Callister on Manx Radio during a bit of spare air time while they were waiting for a Chief Minister vote.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Barlow said:

According to Tony Brown and Allan Bell when on Manx Radio Agenda programme, the "horse trading" thing is a myth, dreamed up by David Callister on Manx Radio during a bit of spare air time while they were waiting for a Chief Minister vote.

don't forget he has to fill some of the most difficult positions as well as ministers , government can't function without a chair of the planning committee chair of the Civil service commission  , chair of OFT ,and all the areas most members will not wish to be associated with  because of the workload , everybody wants to me a minister !  

Alf't task is just beginning , and now there all getting paid the same irrespective of being in a department  or causing trouble from the back benches ,its become even more difficult ,

some are sulking and just want to cause trouble and fill keys and Tynwald question papers , without doing anything meaningful for the good of th isle of Man 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The way I see it is this:-

New Ministers should not be tasked with "sorting out" the DOI for example.

They should direct new policy, for random example say, the island has a plan to outlaw all vehicles other than fully electric by 20xx

That is what a government is supposed to do.

Not go to a department as a minister and try to micro manage.

None of them are capable of managing a department.

The DOI  has a turnover of over £100 million.

Do any of the new candidates have big business experience?

NO.

So stop them trying to be big men/ woman  and give the departments direction on policy. 

DOI again as an example, stop the destruction of the Taxi trade by Bus Vannin and their Taxi buses, that would be a good start for a minister.

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Omobono said:

don't forget he has to fill some of the most difficult positions as well as ministers , government can't function without a chair of the planning committee chair of the Civil service commission  , chair of OFT ,and all the areas most members will not wish to be associated with  because of the workload , everybody wants to me a minister !  

Alf't task is just beginning , and now there all getting paid the same irrespective of being in a department  or causing trouble from the back benches ,its become even more difficult ,

some are sulking and just want to cause trouble and fill keys and Tynwald question papers , without doing anything meaningful for the good of th isle of Man 

Cor blimey, can’t he just announce his Cabinet like the PM does (or rather one by one!). That’s what we are interested in. The junior posts barely make the news 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, 2112 said:

In part I agree, once CM appoints his COMIN and memberlings it can be said that Government is up and running. I think it’s crackers that 48+ since AC coronation we haven’t had any indication of who is running the statutory bodies, committees, members and COMIN. Maybe AC is having difficulty filling his posts? Surely the positions will be filled by next Tuesday with enough time to prepare for Tynpotwald next Week. Rob Callister always makes a song and dance of going through the order sheet and preparation. 

Until Ministers are appointed, Harmer, Boot, Baker and Cregeeeeeen are still in post.  Still working their bollocks off for you.   Still Ministers as of tonight, and probably tomorrow as well.

• Confused 1